MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

• Replies 36k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Spring Creek should've never been apart of that OG order

I do agree that after the CNG RTSs were retired, they should've gotten more of CP's O5s and be 100% CNG. I guess the immediate need was to replace the old RTSs with the hybrids to give SC a lower age fleet. In the end it's moot how it ended up. As long as this order makes SC all CNG, then no big deal. I too favor the all hybrid fleet for BP.

With more Nova lfs and eventually the XD60s hitting the streets, I'd guess it could mean RTSs would be displaced and the oldest ones going to LGA to fill the gap of the ex Bees.

Edited by Grand Concourse

While I do agree that after the CNG RTSs were retired, they should've gotten more of CP's O5s and be 100% CNG. I guess the immediate need was to replace the old RTSs with the hybrids to give SC a lower age fleet. In the end it's moot how it ended up. As long as this order makes SC all CNG, then no big deal.

Gotta keep in mind that a good majority of CNGs that CP had were also used in Express Service, taking more from CP would have a bad result in a shortage.

Gotta keep in mind that a good majority of CNGs that CP had were also used in Express Service, taking more from CP would have a bad result in a shortage.

Lol, not to mention you can't use those OGs for express service or people will be irate :D But I always wondered why the MTA couldn't give MTA bus the O5s diesels and RTSs with the suburban seats for both local and express service. After all TBC and QSC would interline or run whatever buses on their lines. I think the ex-NYCTs would've been a good fill in for them. And then they could've been reseated for local only service and give NYCT the OG hybrids (give UP RTSs from other depots since they would've lost the 9300s and IIRC there was some issue [the height?] where the OG couldn't be sent to UP). Edited by Grand Concourse

Lol, not to mention you can't use those OGs for express service or people will be irate :D But I always wondered why the MTA couldn't give MTA bus the O5s diesels and RTSs with the suburban seats for both local and express service. After all TBC and QSC would interline or run whatever buses on their lines. I think the ex-NYCTs would've been a good fill in for them. And then they could've been reseated for local only service and give NYCT the OG hybrids (give UP RTSs from other depots since they would've lost the 9300s and IIRC there was some issue [the height?] where the OG couldn't be sent to UP).

Because at the time, we didnt have any buses to replace the suburban RTSs and Vs. The 100s were scattered around MTA Bus in both Express & Local service.

Riddle me this...

I saw 3968 with Grand Ave stickers at about midnight...but the bus was on the Q54 (a Fresh Pond route).

Something isn't right here...

I saw another like that, one with GA and one with FP decals.....I think it was 3981(?) in training.

What caused that big bus shortage back in 2007 anyway? Were buses retired without replacements? I remember seeing MTA bus 1990 and 1991 TMCs at Flatbush and NYCT units at Spring creek.

1. The (MTA) retired one too many buses simultaneously causing a shortage in the reserve fleet. Including a good amount of buses going for rehabs & whatnot.

2. It appeared that the increase of service was needed at the time with the sudden increase of ridership.

Everything else is pretty much in this thread: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/2885-bus-shortage-affecting-service/

What caused that big bus shortage back in 2007 anyway? Were buses retired without replacements? I remember seeing MTA bus 1990 and 1991 TMCs at Flatbush and NYCT units at Spring creek.

The MTA at the time had wanted all of its two-stroke buses off the roster. The two-stroke buses had already been removed from the NYCT roster, but at MTA Bus , there were buses that were over 20 years old that were on their last legs, plus the 1993 TMC CNGs whose tanks had expired. As it would happen, some remained on the roster into the winter of 2008. Edited by aemoreira81