R179 Discussion Thread

On 1/30/2018 at 8:33 PM, m2fwannabe said:

That's almost right.  The 8-car R-40/40M/42's C/R cabs were only located between alternate pairs of cars (i.e. 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8).  The existing boards were located at 4-5 where only R-32/38's had C/R and T/O cabs, while R-40/40M/R-42's had only T/O cabs, not C/R's cabs.  So, NYCT measured and hung special 8-car C/R boards with red and yellow candy striping at the 5-6 position at all (A) and (C) stations, as well as Sixth Ave. for diversions.  All went well until a test run showed that there weren't always reachable "punches" at the 8-car stop positions the (C) trains would use in association with the new C/R boards.  After an alternate proposal was discarded (yellow septagonal "8-car R40/40M/42" train stops), RTO then covered or painted over the "8" car stop signs and forced all 8-car R-32/38/40/40M/42 (C) trains to pull ahead to the 10-car marks, where there were punches and their C/R cabs between cars 5-6 on R-32/28/40/40M/42's would line up with existing C/R boards at the 10-car position.  That lasted exactly one month (December 2008 to January 2009) before the resulting surreality and confusion (and complaints) resulted in a reversal of operations on (C) to R-32's and R-38's and the 8-car stop signs restored.  The R-40s, R-40Ms and MK R-42s then went to (A) as 10-car trains.  The intent was to be temporary in any case; had Mayor Bloomberg's first Congestion Pricing initiative passed there was the be another swap resulting in 8-car R-46s for all (C) operations.  There are still R-46 links out there bearing blue diamonds by the number boards that designated them for a "future" use on (C) that never occured.

8-car R-40/40M/42's were never tested for (G) line at the time, but one could postulate a similar result.

For now, the MK's would appear to be destined for 10-car use on (A) as sufficient 4-car R-179 sets arrive to replace them on (J)(Z).

That would "kick" a few more 8-car (600 ft) R-46 trains over to (C).

"When" is up to the R-179's.

There are still 272 R-160A-1's at ENY.  68 of them have CBTC for (L).  They never came off (M) but are diverted to Broadway Junction during the Myrtle job.

Presumably, at some point as (C) is gradually assumed by 8-car R-46 trains the 207 Street R-160A-1 allocation of 106 will be sent back "home" to ENY ((J)(Z)(M)).

Very informative! I had a feeling that running 8-car R42 sets on the (G) would be easier said than done. You're correct; even if the MTA were to put up new C/R boards at all stations served by the (G) to accommodate 8-car R42 sets, it still may not work, due to the locations of a few punchboxes!

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well remember, we still have four 6 car R42 sets in Fresh Pond right now for the (M) shuttle. My guess is that those R179's being added to the (J) And (Z) fleet will pop up on the (M) when it's reconstruction finishes. Either way, the (J) will still have SMEE cars because apparently we can't run any SMEE cars on the (M) for some reason. 

The only other line that can give up its cars for the shutdown are the (B) and (G). Me personally, I like the idea of the R32's going to the (B) And the (A) / (C) sharing the same fleet.

I leave for a WEEK and I've ultimately am gonna share ONE FINAL THOUGHT on the "R32 (B)(G) and R179 nonsense."

And I am completely within rights to post this, because that's how forums work. And you better keep it to a minimum like @Cait Sith said, otherwise everyone's gonna get banned again. So please don't name call, mock, tease, or do any activity that is harmful to anyone here. 

With that being said, I will give ya'll a few reasons on WHY the R32s going to the (B)(G) is UNLIKELY TO CHANGE. 

Firstly, we have maxed out all options on where the R32's will go during the shutdown. And the only ones that will cause less trouble are obviously, the (B) and (G). I'm now gonna take an instance as an example: when we all thought that the (M) shuttle was gonna have R32s, but ended up being R42s instead. This situation is different because there is a multitude of options in this case. So, they could've "theoretically" gone for 4-car R160s, or possibly R143s as well. They didn't have to choose JUST the R32s in this case. But this situation is inevitable since all options will have issues. 

A lot of you think the (A) is the perfect option for the R32's. You're basically saying, "Yes, the (A) is long, but that's just about it! Just put them there instead!" Well, the (A) will have more problems than the (B) and (G). Firstly, it is 20 MILES underground, all the way from Inwood to Grant. That's a length that's longer than the (G), and slightly longer than the 145 St (B)! Only 10-12 MILES are aboveground, from Grant to the Rockaways. And secondly, before the R46/R32 (A)(C) swap, the R32 (A)s during rush hour usually ONLY RAN TO LEFFERTS. You wanna know why? Because line length is acutally a more severe issue than you think for the R32s. 

Third, there are MULTIPLE groups of insiders IN ADDITION TO our man, @Dj Hammers. He, himself, even hinted that one group of insiders, not him, were wrong! So anything posted could come from MULTIPLE insiders besides Dj. 

Finally, and this is something that me and @RR503 have been thinking about: the assignments are ALREADY finalized, and the MTA is just not revealing it. This is likely because we were first informed of the shutdown from as early as 2016, and during then and now, the MTA must've had a discussion, and the board members were like, "Okay. Plans are finalized! Let's not reveal it till the start of the Canarsie shutdown!" 

Edited by Coney Island Av
Forgot to list reasons

56 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

I leave for a WEEK and I've ultimately am gonna share ONE FINAL THOUGHT on the "R32 (B)(G) and R179 nonsense."

And I am completely within rights to post this, because that's how forums work. And you better keep it to a minimum like @Cait Sith said, otherwise everyone's gonna get banned again. So please don't name call, mock, tease, or do any activity that is harmful to anyone here. 

With that being said, I will give ya'll a few reasons on WHY the R32s going to the (B)(G) is UNLIKELY TO CHANGE. 

Firstly, we have maxed out all options on where the R32's will go during the shutdown. And the only ones that will cause less trouble are obviously, the (B) and (G). I'm now gonna take an instance as an example: when we all thought that the (M) shuttle was gonna have R32s, but ended up being R42s instead. This situation is different because there is a multitude of options in this case. So, they could've "theoretically" gone for 4-car R160s, or possibly R143s as well. They didn't have to choose JUST the R32s in this case. But this situation is inevitable since all options will have issues. 

A lot of you think the (A) is the perfect option for the R32's. You're basically saying, "Yes, the (A) is long, but that's just about it! Just put them there instead!" Well, the (A) will have more problems than the (B) and (G). Firstly, it is 20 MILES underground, all the way from Inwood to Grant. That's a length that's longer than the (G), and slightly longer than the 145 St (B)! Only 10-12 MILES are aboveground, from Grant to the Rockaways. And secondly, before the R46/R32 (A)(C) swap, the R32 (A)s during rush hour usually ONLY RAN TO LEFFERTS. You wanna know why? Because line length is acutally a more severe issue than you think for the R32s. 

Third, there are MULTIPLE groups of insiders IN ADDITION TO our man, @Dj Hammers. He, himself, even hinted that one group of insiders, not him, were wrong! So anything posted could come from MULTIPLE insiders besides Dj. 

Finally, and this is something that me and @RR503 have been thinking about: the assignments are ALREADY finalized, and the MTA is just not revealing it. This is likely because we were first informed of the shutdown from as early as 2016, and during then and now, the MTA must've had a discussion, and the board members were like, "Okay. Plans are finalized! Let's not reveal it till the start of the Canarsie shutdown!" 

I agree with you. Thanks for sharing the information.

And for everyone else, please stop the mocking, teasing and insulting. Let's RESPECT each other's opinion whether we agree or disagree. 

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:24 PM, Coney Island Av said:

You may consider me new because of the date I joined but I observed/viewed this site regularly since early 2014 at best. 

But I'm now forced to take a break because of how I'm posting/reacting. Staying on here will only make other people view me negatively even more. 

This name-calling/ban threats/mocking needs to stop. As soon as I try to post, everyone just roasts me alive. 

From this point on, I cannot post anything pertaining to car assignments because of what @Cait Sith told me, and the huge controversy that will clog the toilet if I do. 

You said you were away for a week, it was 5 days.  You say you cannot post anything pertaining to car assignments, you just did in a few post above this about one hour ago!

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

43 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

You said you were away for a week, it was 5 days.  You say you cannot post anything pertaining to car assignments, you just did in a few post above this about one hour ago!

Uh Bill, I THOUGHT I couldn't post anymore because of those aforementioned reasons. 

But @Cait Sith said I could still post AFTER I posted what you quoted, however just keep it to a minimum. 

And I meant to say I was gone for ALMOST a week. 

48 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

What  @Coney Island Av means is that he/she can't post anything due to all the bullying that has been going on.

I'm glad that @Coney Island Avis posting again. Again,  everyone has the right to share an opinion and everyone else in this forum need to respect those opinion whether we agree or disagree. 

No more bullying!!!

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

2 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Thanks for promising to keep these things to a minimum, your opinion is your opinion and no one should mocked for that reason, whether or not this really is your final thoughts on the topic, I do respect it and it's well supported, but since your theory has been stated and supported on this forum so many times, the best thing i'll say is we have to wait and see what happens since nothing is final!! Which im sure you're already aware of, hopefully.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

3 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

And you better keep it to a minimum like @Cait Sith said, otherwise everyone's gonna get banned again. So please don't name call, mock, tease, or do any activity that is harmful to anyone here. 

I had no idea you was a moderator...

Anyways, did anymore sets came in or it's just those three sets thats running so far?

Edited by Daniel The Cool

2 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Considering this is the guy who wrote that stupid R179 assignment fanfiction, I wouldn't expect much of anything from him. At the very least, though, I thought he'd learn his lesson and stop making egregious posts.

I'm really curious as to when 3010-3019 will enter revenue testing on the (A)

I can't confirm the status of 3010-3019, however I could possibly confirm the status for 3050-3057.

One afternoon I was waiting for the (A) at 14 St. I got on the (A), but as soon as I got on, an R179 came in blaring through the station on the southbound express track. I could see one of the cars was 3053. However, before I could get my camera out, the R179 already left. 

I assume the consist was transferred to Pitkin? 

EDIT: @Bill from Maspeth all this nonsense is unlikely to change at this point. We have no more options. If you see a document from transit that states "R32s are going to You-Know-Who" better start playing "Frolic" lol. 

2 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Uh Bill, I THOUGHT I couldn't post anymore because of those aforementioned reasons. 

But @Cait Sith said I could still post AFTER I posted what you quoted, however just keep it to a minimum. 

And I meant to say I was gone for ALMOST a week. 

You mean you can still post your opinions of what car assignments should be.  Fine.  You and everybody else can knock yourselves out with that.  It's all good.  I'll just wait and see what happens.....what transit decides officially.    Whatever it will be by the time the L closes for the tunnel work, it will have all to do with how many R179's are running around.

Till then, I'll read what goes on, try to keep my mouth shut and eat popcorn or pretzels!

4 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

You mean you can still post your opinions of what car assignments should be.  Fine.  You and everybody else can knock yourselves out with that.  It's all good.  I'll just wait and see what happens.....what transit decides officially.    Whatever it will be by the time the L closes for the tunnel work, it will have all to do with how many R179's are running around.

Till then, I'll read what goes on, try to keep my mouth shut and eat popcorn or pretzels!

No offense, but that's becoming an extremely tired response to anything involving new things happening.

I'm pretty sure that's what we're all doing. Speculating and having discussions about what could happen won't hurt, especially since the majority of the members are rather young......

P.S. Don't go on Facebook to talk about me, if you got something to say, say it to me here or in a PM.....since you felt obligated to complain about me in a Facebook group.

--------------------------------------------------

Folks are forgetting that its a discussion thread.....The point is to promote healthy discussion, not drive people away. Y'all can speculate and discuss among yourselves, but don't go batshit crazy like some have with the insults and pettiness. Like I've said before, keep it tame, and keep it to a minimum.

Jesus christ, some of y'all need a break from the internet with the way you guys are acting over the dude.

Edited by Cait Sith

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

@Coney Island Av Again, why?

What do you mean? The way I'm posting???

I'm trying to listen to @Cait Sith, but everyone just hazes me like I'm a mod. And I'm completely within rights to post my proposals, since a forum works that way. 

5 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

No. Each branch had the same amount of cars.

"More severe issue"

Okay...same can be said for the R46s.

49 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

No offense, but that's becoming an extremely tired response to anything involving new things happening.

I'm pretty sure that's what we're all doing. Speculating and having discussions about what could happen won't hurt, especially since the majority of the members are rather young......

--------------------------------------------------

Folks are forgetting that its a discussion thread.....The point is to promote healthy discussion, not drive people away. Y'all can speculate and discuss among yourselves, but don't go batshit crazy like some have with the insults and pettiness. Like I've said before, keep it tame, and keep it to a minimum.

Jesus christ, some of y'all need a break from the internet with the way you guys are acting over the dude.

I agree and that is what I have been posting as well. 

Speculation is not the problem. The problem is the bullying.

51 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

I'm trying to listen to @Cait Sith, but everyone just hazes me like I'm a mod. And I'm completely within rights to post my proposals, since a forum works that way. 

@Coney Island Av don't take it personally. You have been bullied by some people in the forum, but there are other people in the forum who do respect your opinion and have your back.

55 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Okay, but how you deliver the message also matters. There's no reason to get all shrill and dramatic like a child.

30 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Okay, but how you deliver the message also matters. There's no reason to get all shrill and dramatic like a child.

He is actually a child (he admitted this in the chatbox before). But overall, your general point is correct. He has a whole lot to learn when he gets older.