R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since its a rumor, I'm sure if the train really did break down it would be in the barn rather than parked upstairs at ENY. When I went by ENY a little over a hour ago the 179 was layed up on the same track it was on earlier. I think it didn't run today only because its christmas, seems like only essential TA employees come to work on this day, doesn't the 179 always have an TSS AND a Bombardier technician riding the train all times during its testing period? At this point the 179 is a special train, just like the Holiday train didn't run in years past whenever Christmas landed on a Sunday. Just a theory as to why the train didn't run today.

11 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Since its a rumor, I'm sure if the train really did break down it would be in the barn rather than parked upstairs at ENY. When I went by ENY a little over a hour ago the 179 was layed up on the same track it was on earlier. I think it didn't run today only because its christmas, seems like only essential TA employees come to work on this day, doesn't the 179 always have an TSS AND a Bombardier technician riding the train all times during its testing period? At this point the 179 is a special train, just like the Holiday train didn't run in years past whenever Christmas landed on a Sunday. Just a theory as to why the train didn't run today.

According to a group, the train had door problems again yesterday. Plus the 30 Day test rule is they have to run 30 days straight without failing  or having issues holiday or not.

16 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

According to a group, the train had door problems again yesterday. Plus the 30 Day test rule is they have to run 30 days straight without failing  or having issues holiday or not.

That’s not actually how the 30 day test works. The clock is only reset if the failure review board (made up of representatives from both NYCT and Bombardier) deem that a purported failure is serious enough to warrant resetting the clock. Not all failures result in a clock reset. 

Furthermore, a second consist of R179s is currently burn testing on the J line as I type this, cars 3066-69+3090-93 - production cars.

1 hour ago, Dj Hammers said:

That’s not actually how the 30 day test works. The clock is only reset if the failure review board (made up of representatives from both NYCT and Bombardier) deem that a purported failure is serious enough to warrant resetting the clock. Not all failures result in a clock reset. 

Furthermore, a second consist of R179s is currently burn testing on the J line as I type this, cars 3066-69+3090-93 - production cars.

That was fast. I saw 3090-3093 coming from the rockaways during Christmas Eve.

They really want to get those trains in service. I don't blame them. We need them. I'm glad to hear not every failure results in the train being ordered out of service and resetting the clock.

For what it's worth, I finally got to ride the R179 this past Friday. It sounds very different from the older R160 and R143 cars, though it doesn't look much different from them on the outside. But on the inside, the differences are a lot more obvious than I thought, The FIND route screen is huge compared to the older cars. The door-closing chime has a much clearer sound to it, like the R142 and R142A cars and the PA announcements are louder than the R160s and especially the R143s.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

23 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

So do we have to reset the 30 day Test if there is a broken window on the R179 or when someone pulls the emergency brake on purpose? Those issues are very minor plus you have the Bombarbier crew on the train helping out the NYC Transit workers to decide what to do with the issues?

29 minutes ago, j express said:

So do we have to reset the 30 day Test if there is a broken window on the R179 or when someone pulls the emergency brake on purpose? Those issues are very minor plus you have the Bombarbier crew on the train helping out the NYC Transit workers to decide what to do with the issues?

My uninformed guess - especially for the passenger E-brake pull - would be "The train performed correctly and emergency braking was not a failure."

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

I don't think all of them will, remember they're also getting those R160's back as well. Unless those R160's on the (C) would go to the (G) first.

The r160s that are on the C train are staying on the C train. It's the r32s that are being sent to the A train in exchange with the r46s. As for the G we have to wait and see. 

It was even mentioned in the news that only some C trains will be full length. 

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

45 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The r160s that are on the C train are staying on the C train. It's the r32s that are being sent to the A train in exchange with the r46s. As for the G we have to wait and see. 

It was even mentioned in the news that only some C trains will be full length. 

You do realize some R160s went back to ENY.