R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

It felt like the 160 order went much faster than this, even when Kawasaki batch was finished and only Astom was building new 160s. Wish it was possible for the TA & Kawasaki to make the 211s come this year rather than next 😄

I guess the MTA will have to admit that the 1 car per day goal is not going to happen with the r179's.

8 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I guess the MTA will have to admit that the 1 car per day goal is not going to happen with the r179's.

This is what happens when they wanna save 12.4 million dollars for cars. These R179’s are the Forever 21 to the H&M. H&M being the R160’s of course. 

55 minutes ago, VIP said:

This is what happens when they wanna save 12.4 million dollars for cars. These R179’s are the Forever 21 to the H&M. H&M being the R160’s of course. 

I'm pretty sure that those 12.4 millions that they saved are being spent doing damage control with the r179's and to maintain the the r32's until the r211's.

16 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I'm pretty sure that those 12.4 millions that they saved are being spent doing damage control with the r179's and to maintain the the r32's until the r211's.

I’m sure of that. 💯

27 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

So with the (L) shutdown not happening. Are these new cars coming retiring any cars? Or is it just additional service ?  Like the R46's moving from the (A) to the (F)?

The new cars (R179) are additional service but to reduce shortage for both the (A) and (C) trains, and the rest of the B Division line. 

That and they still don't fully trust the R179s to hold down service, which is why nothing has been retired yet. 

4 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

So with the (L) shutdown not happening. Are these new cars coming retiring any cars? Or is it just additional service ?  Like the R46's moving from the (A) to the (F)?

5 hours ago, Calvin said:

Yes. The (A) has at least 2 out of the 3 running late nights for example. 

Most of 207th’s R179’s are OOS for maintenance and inspections again. The (C) only has two sets running today and the (A) has NONE. There were  only two R32’s on the (A) this morning. 

On 6/17/2019 at 10:12 PM, j express said:

@m2fwannabe Any R46 transfers recently since the 3 set of R179s went into service on the (A)?

There was only one set of R46s moved to Jamaica Yard. However, I do believe that there are a couple of 10-car R32s at Pitkin. Will double check when I go to work tonight. 

On 6/17/2019 at 10:46 PM, Calvin said:

Not yet. 1/2 of the 4th set is in property: 3258-3267

Looks like another set to Pitkin!

On 6/19/2019 at 4:10 PM, VIP said:

Most of 207th’s R179’s are OOS for maintenance and inspections again. The (C) only has two sets running today and the (A) has NONE. There were  only two R32’s on the (A) this morning. 

The 179s are back in service. One is on the (A) to Far Rockaway as we speak heading to the terminal now.

11 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’m curious, what keeps on happening to the R179’s that they are always being taken out of service? 

I guess it is normal for new trains to be taken out of service very often during the first few months of service to inspect them and address any issues. It happened with previous NTT'S. It is better to address them now and not a few years later like it happened with the r46's and r68's during the 70's and 80's.

On 6/17/2019 at 10:12 PM, j express said:

@m2fwannabe Any R46 transfers recently since the 3 set of R179s went into service on the (A)?

Been on vacation and the paperwork is still piling up, but it is reported that the next eight cars went to Jamaica as of June 17. 

On 6/17/2019 at 10:27 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Any new deliveries?

As of same date (June 17), 3268-3272 had been delivered to 207.  I don't know if they've been moved to Pitkin for acceptance yet, others might.