SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

it was weird seeing the R42's and then R40M's go back to the Queens since the 1970's to retire there.

Yeah, it always made more sense to me seeing them on Queens Boulevard as opposed to the Eastern Division, on account of the whole issue with door controls and the operating position in the 8-car trains.  Never understood they just didn't use the R32/38s for the (J)(brownM)(Z)(L) instead after GOH, for that reason alone.

Edited by R10 2952

21 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

It's funny because I heard someone was camping for hrs at 96 St for the R142 (1) and it never showed up.

1 hour ago, DaPr03 said:

Looks like some people are gullible, sigh...

LMAO in my day possible Redbird sightings on the (1) is what folks were obsessed with.  Either way, some people take this stuff way too seriously for their own (or anyone else's) good.

On a side note, at least R142s have actually been documented as showing up in service on the (1) periodically over the years.  The Redbirds? Never seen any photos of them in regular service on the (1), so I'm almost positive it's a myth.

Two observations:

1) The (B) is such crap every morning now. I wait 15 minutes + every time I try to take it to work

2) W4 lower is getting the same new enamel signs (with wheelchair symbol) as W4 upper. They're done by a private contractor, so they're much nicer than the stuff the Sign Shop turns out. They've done the southbound side only so far, so you get to see both eras of signs (mid-1990s and 2021) across the tracks.

20 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

If youre talking about today in particular, the (B)(D) and (Q) are all having staffing issues at the moment.

Today, but every day. It's bizarre to me they didn't plan for this glut of retirements/sick days and think ahead with a new class, etc. They had 12 months to figure out what the system would look like on reopening and now they're caught with their pants down, daily. Feels like everything under that hack Feinberg is like this. Byford would never have allowed something as easily solved as staffing to ruin on-time performance, but here we are.

13 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Today, but every day. It's bizarre to me they didn't plan for this glut of retirements/sick days and think ahead with a new class, etc. They had 12 months to figure out what the system would look like on reopening and now they're caught with their pants down, daily. Feels like everything under that hack Feinberg is like this. Byford would never have allowed something as easily solved as staffing to ruin on-time performance, but here we are.

Actually, during Covid they were planning on layoffs and service cuts.

They (NYCT in particular) only plan ahead when it comes to cuts and layoffs. When it comes to adding, it must be "cost neutral" meaning whatever does get added has to be taken away from someplace else.

They've been this way before Byford, during Byford to an extent, and it'll continue after Feinberg and her successor's successor is gone, and so on.

19 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Actually, during Covid they were planning on layoffs and service cuts.

They (NYCT in particular) only plan ahead when it comes to cuts and layoffs. When it comes to adding, it must be "cost neutral" meaning whatever does get added has to be taken away from someplace else.

They've been this way before Byford, during Byford to an extent, and it'll continue after Feinberg and her successor's successor is gone, and so on.

Sure. My point is that they knew full service would return, they knew they were receiving the stimulus, and they knew they'd have fewer crews on hand. Why didn't they plan for this and the service impacts that have been the arbitrary result? It's not like we're running a modified pick right now with reduced but consistent frequencies; it's just random delays because they're missing trips. That's just bad planning.

Friday afternoon my n/b (Q) train was stuck at Parkside for 20-30 mins due to fallen tree branches. Conductor announced that the t/o is working on removing them from the tracks. Not sure what the protocol is but If they're small enough to be removed by hand I can't imagine the t/o willingly sitting there until help arrives but then again based on what many have said here about management overplaying their power I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. 

Also, on occasion t/o's heading s/b at Brooklyn Bridge would head out the cab and go to the crew room. I wonder why. 

Edited by brakethrow

On 6/5/2021 at 11:45 PM, Jacob said:

Probably not, They'll just stick to the (R) as being local on QBL once CBTC is activated. But I wish if that could happen. If (G) trains went back to QBL as additional service at weekends they'll just be a foamfest over QBL

"G TRAINS BACK IN QBL (RARE) (GONE WRONG) (GONE SEXUAL) (WOKE!!!)"

no they need to add the (G) back, It sucks taking the (R) on weekends. If not the (G), Have the (M) run on weekends as well. The (R) is complete garbage on weekends and I'm always happy when they have the (E)(F) go local. living in rego park for 2 years makes me miss living in Jamaica.

14 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

no they need to add the (G) back, It sucks taking the (R) on weekends. If not the (G), Have the (M) run on weekends as well. The (R) is complete garbage on weekends and I'm always happy when they have the (E)(F) go local. living in rego park for 2 years makes me miss living in Jamaica.

The MTA won't make the (G) run to Forest Hills on Weekends. Just might resemble back to the low ridership on the G at QBL back then. It's more accurate making the (M) going to Forest Hills on weekends but I won't think the MTA will budge to do that smh. My possible way is to make either the (E) or the (F) local on weekends and make one train Express just how the Bway line used to operate before (and weekends) as the (Q) being express and the (N) and (R) being local. I mean if the MTA can make the (G) go to QBL mainly on weekends I'm expecting 10 car R46s or R68/As on CIY or R160s ;) (Jamaica R160 Loans btw) I probably won't think they'll due that cuz of CBTC lmao (edit)

Edited by Jacob

Just now, Jacob said:

The MTA won't make the (G) run to Forest Hills on Weekends. Just might resemble back to the low ridership on the G at QBL back then. It's more accurate making the (M) going to Forest Hills on weekends but I won't think the MTA will budge to do that smh. My possible way is to make either the (E) or the (F) local on weekends and make one train Express just how the Bway line used to operate before (and weekends) as the (Q) being express and the (N) and (R) being local. I mean if the MTA can make the (G) go to QBL mainly on weekends I'm expecting 10 car R46s or R68/As on CIY or R160s ;) (Jamaica R160 Loans btw)

dude that was over 10 years ago, all these neighborhoods along QBL grew as more people moved in. platforms be crowded when you have to wait 10-15 mins for an (R).

And if the (G) were to go back to running on QB on weekends, it'll go back to Jamaica and use R160's (or R211's if Jamaica gets them)

44 minutes ago, brakethrow said:

Friday afternoon my n/b (Q) train was stuck at Parkside for 20-30 mins due to fallen tree branches. Conductor announced that the t/o is working on removing them from the tracks. Not sure what the protocol is but If they're small enough to be removed by hand I can't imagine the t/o willingly sitting there until help arrives but then again based on what many have said here about management overplaying their power I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. 

Also, on occasion t/o's heading s/b at Brooklyn Bridge would head out the cab and go to the crew room. I wonder why. 

Off the top of my head, from experience, drink of water or restroom time. Just a guess 😃.

@MHV9218@paulrivera Their whole layer of middle management is rotten to the core; even if Cuomo, Feinberg and all the empty suits from 2 Broadway disappeared tomorrow, you'd still have hundreds of managers like that Dyatlov guy from the HBO Chernobyl mini-series, lower down on the ladder and shitting on front-line employees while telling the top-level executives 'everything is fine'.

Prendergast and Irick were perfect examples of this; on paper they looked good because they had risen through the ranks, been with the agency for a number of years in managerial capacities, but in reality they were mindless bean-counters who failed to see passengers as anything more than a statistic.  With such a disinterest in the riding public (and their front-line employees, to be quite honest), they may as well have been faceless executives in some generic corporate conglomerate, as opposed to public-sector mass transit.

Edited by R10 2952

1 minute ago, R10 2952 said:

@MHV9218@paulrivera Their whole layer of middle management is rotten to the core; even in Cuomo, Feinberg and all the empty suits from 2 Broadway disappeared tomorrow, you'd still have hundreds of managers lower down on the latter shitting on front-line employees

I'm happy to see that someone with real-world experience in civil service or similar employment understands how things work. Transit, NYPD, Sanitation, FDNY all operate that way to some degree. Byford, Feinberg, Phil Eng, Catherine Rinaldi, are just the faces known to the public in the (MTA) . Some may be more knowledgeable than others but they do not set policy. It used to fascinate me and my fellow retirees watching the press and some forum members praise Byford as if he was the Second Coming. His ideas were spot on but he didn't have the power to implement them by himself. The (MTA) board itself, who aren't transportation experts, rely on a cadre of unknown "experts" to supply them with the ideas that are then made public. I met Prince Andrew's dad early in my career. Once in Westchester Yard and the second time at Avenue X Yard. Both times he got the grand tour but at Avenue X he and some of his entourage doubled back about 45 minutes later and he exited his limo and spoke to some of us hourlies and the Property Protection Agent on duty. He admitted that his knowledge of the system was non-existent and spent almost a half hour with us getting input on how things really worked in the field. I also had the pleasure of meeting Mr. David Gunn a few times many years ago and found him to be interested in the day to day workings of the subway system, especially the "new" R62 equipment and the Grand Central / Times Square Shuttle because he passed through the area quite frequently in his travels. I've pretty much figured that Prince Andrew's ideas, good or bad, are generated by the people you spoke of who remain blameless and undercover while the arrows are aimed at the Governor who is very public and an easy target. It wouldn't matter if he is re-elected ( sorry Wallyhorse) or not or whom is elected NYC Mayor or County Exec, because the real power is held by the underlings in the (MTA) and most local governments. I think that VG8, among others, has figured out how things work.  Just my opinion. Carry on.

23 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

9308 (museum car, now a bluebird) got tagged up by some tourist jabronis, by the looks of it. At least 9306 is untouched in the museum.

Its been tagged for a hot minute that wasn't recent. Someone just showed off a photo now though.

2 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Prendergast and Irick were perfect examples of this; on paper they looked good because they had risen through the ranks, been with the agency for a number of years in managerial capacities, but in reality they were mindless bean-counters who failed to see passengers as anything more than a statistic.  With such a disinterest in the riding public (and their front-line employees, to be quite honest), they may as well have been faceless executives in some generic corporate conglomerate, as opposed to public-sector mass transit.

Irick was really inept at DOB. All he really directed people under him to do was cut, short turn, and deadhead.

Even on the RTS farewell trip, he was thinking about things that cost the agency money.

21 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

LMAO in my day possible Redbird sightings on the (1) is what folks were obsessed with.  Either way, some people take this stuff way too seriously for their own (or anyone else's) good.

On a side note, at least R142s have actually been documented as showing up in service on the (1) periodically over the years.  The Redbirds? Never seen any photos of them in regular service on the (1), so I'm almost positive it's a myth.

IDK if it ever happened post GOH but the cars that became the GOH redbirds have ran on the (1)

img_3933.jpg

img_49063.jpg

Not my photos credit goes to nycsubway.org. 

9 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Sure. My point is that they knew full service would return, they knew they were receiving the stimulus, and they knew they'd have fewer crews on hand. Why didn't they plan for this and the service impacts that have been the arbitrary result? It's not like we're running a modified pick right now with reduced but consistent frequencies; it's just random delays because they're missing trips. That's just bad planning.

Gosh, its almost like the hiring freeze that everyone said would be a bad idea turned out to be a bad idea...