SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same for me, but here is the link

BTW did anyone else see R68A with blue seat? Last time it was coupled with lead car 5058.

That link just leads me to a blank page.

Fixed it.

But that article is vague, it's short and in terms of location, it never gets any more specific than just "Brooklyn".

I found an article about that yesterday. But I didn't think too much about it.

I heard from a guy on the (Q) that the shooting was around Flatbush Avenue (station). While there's always the chance he was wrong, if memory serves that's also what the Countdown Clock said, that service was knocked out because of a 'police investigation at Flatbush Avenue'. The location of the shooting, Linden Blvd & E 49th St, is almost a mile away from Nostrand Avenue, and even then it's a little under a mile way from the Church Av station, and not Flatbush Av station, so I have no idea how it would necessitate a shutdown of the entire Nostrand Avenue line.

Not to mention that the news story said that the police-gunman conflict lasted from around midnight - 1:00 AM, whereas (2) and (5) service on Nostrand Avenue was suspended around 5:30 AM.

This doesn't add up. We could really use some more details...

I forgot to post this yesterday (didn't have time to) but yesterday I was at River Avenue (near 167 Street) and I saw a train of R62's going to the Jerome or Concourse Yard? Since it was at night I could not see the car numbers but the cars came from the (3). Is there something going on that I don't know about?

Rode the Lo-V for the first time tonight. It was pretty cool seeing otherwise grumpy looking NYers with a smile on their face as the train passed by. Pretty much the same as the R1s/9s, thou not as bouncy which I really like.

Edited by Jamaica Line

@Mysterious2train: Damn. I show up late to school like 75% of the time.

For me, school starts at 08:00, and I leave at 07:35. If all goes well, I'll arrive 2 minutes early. If it doesn't, then obviously I'll show up late.

Freshman year, I had English first period, and I lost a few points for showing up late so often (I had some periods where I would show up on time for a few weeks, but then I would keep on showing up late).

Sophmore year, my history teacher was annoyed, but he didn't take any points off. When the school told him he had to record latenesses, he did so (3 lates per week = 1 detention), but they only enforced that for a couple of weeks (I ended up getting a 4/5 on the AP World test, which was the best in the class. :cool: )

This year, I have gym first period, and 2 lates = 1 absence, and 15 absences per term is a failing grade. So far I've managed to come on time (I think I was late once or twice), so hopefully my luck will hold out (with my 100+ average, it would be stupid for me to graduate late because of a few latenesses)

For me, school starts at 08:00, and I leave at 07:35. If all goes well, I'll arrive 2 minutes early. If it doesn't, then obviously I'll show up late.

Freshman year, I had English first period, and I lost a few points for showing up late so often (I had some periods where I would show up on time for a few weeks, but then I would keep on showing up late).

Sophmore year, my history teacher was annoyed, but he didn't take any points off. When the school told him he had to record latenesses, he did so (3 lates per week = 1 detention), but they only enforced that for a couple of weeks (I ended up getting a 4/5 on the AP World test, which was the best in the class. :cool: )

This year, I have gym first period, and 2 lates = 1 absence, and 15 absences per term is a failing grade. So far I've managed to come on time (I think I was late once or twice), so hopefully my luck will hold out (with my 100+ average, it would be stupid for me to graduate late because of a few latenesses)

Leave earlier then and stop complaining about something that you can easily prevent.

You're one to complain.

The only time I got a group of guys walking through a train was on the (3) from Atlantic Terminal to 34th Street... they just kept walking and singing, tracing figure eight paths around the poles. The last guy in the group gave me the stinkeye...

This was while the train was snaking through lower Manhattan, and the T/O took a few curves a bit fast, so I slid out of my seat. I didn't look out for Cortlandt, and forgive me if it isn't visible from the tracks or isn't part of the line, this was way back in March. I really wish I could take subway trips without the paranoid thinking I have a mini-nuke in my camera flash or something.

I forgot to post this yesterday (didn't have time to) but yesterday I was at River Avenue (near 167 Street) and I saw a train of R62's going to the Jerome or Concourse Yard? Since it was at night I could not see the car numbers but the cars came from the (3). Is there something going on that I don't know about?

They went to Coney Island (via Concourse). I saw a similar set of cars (assuming the same ones you saw) on the West End Thursday night waiting to go into CIY north of Bay Pkwy (a garbage train in the way, but there never is any rush with transfers since most inter-divisional transfers is the T/O's job for the day, unlike regular ones). I was operating a (D) going north on my last trip, FYI.

Late is as late does... B)

First of all, I'm not complaining.

Second of all, who are you to tell me when to leave home? I miss sleep as is, and I'm not missing any more.

Well you seem to be blaming the MTA in your post by saying how they make you late. I usually leave so that I get down there 5 minutes early with delays. And I end up usually getting there 5 minutes early, and without delays I make it down 15-20 minutes early.

Also in school latenesses do matter... A LOT. In my freshman year of high school I remember that 3 latenesses to gym (or 1 absence) without a proper excuse was automatic failure. Also (I'm not sure whether you're in high school or college, but) good colleges will definitely take note of excessive latenesses.

Well you seem to be blaming the MTA in your post by saying how they make you late. I usually leave so that I get down there 5 minutes early with delays. And I end up usually getting there 5 minutes early, and without delays I make it down 15-20 minutes early.

Also in school latenesses do matter... A LOT. In my freshman year of high school I remember that 3 latenesses to gym (or 1 absence) without a proper excuse was automatic failure. Also (I'm not sure whether you're in high school or college, but) good colleges will definitely take note of excessive latenesses.

I just said that if everything goes well, I show up a little bit early. I didn't say it's the MTA's fault. It's all of the after-school activities and homework that prevent me from getting sleep, and result in me having to squeeze in a few more minutes of sleep in the morning. You want to blame me for being ambitious, go ahead.

And yeah, school latenesses matter, but should they? I mean, my average last year was either 100 or sometimes slipped slightly under 100, and yet I was often late. But I knew all the material.

Plus, the gym classes are total bull. You can take the same class over and over to get credit. The last time I checked, the purpose of school was to have you come away with a certain amount of knowledge at the end of the year. Am I coming away with any additional knowledge if I'm taking the class over again? And what's gym going to teach me anyway?

So basically, it's a double slap in the face if I have to sit in a class where I already know the material and get penalized for being late. I don't know why they're so strict with these rules. When I lived in Brooklyn, they could care less when you showed up or if you showed up.

<Post Deleted>

I saw that. I'm too quick for you. B)

Like I said, I never blamed the MTA for showing up late (though there were times when they definitely helped. Damn S46/S96. :mad: )

As I was heading to McDonald's, the (J) tearing through that curve south of Woodhaven Blvd just got to me - sick track sound patterns and flange sounds. It's a whole different experience hearing and viewing trains run by as you're walking under an El. I've walked under numerous Els for miles on end, and certain vibes you get as your walking under an El, you just don't get as you're in the train overhead. Whether they're different sounds that cannot be heard as you're in the train or simply just seeing it from a different perspective.

Photos of trains would be much more interesting if they were captured from the street below.

Wall Street has to be full of cops. I think it was 2 weeks ago the Broad Street (J)(Z) station was closed during the weekday. Today I believe around 6pm or so the (2)(3) Wall Street station was closed due to police investigation. I was on a Bronx bound (5) to Mott Avenue and all (4) and (5) skipped Wall Street on both directions.