SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The MTA seems more organized with their train assignments today. I remember how trains were all over the place.

I remember from the mid 2000's Jamaica having R32's, R40's,R42's and R46's.

And today it's just the R46 and R160.

I remember seeing a lot of trains on the A as well. R32's,R38's,R40's,R42's, R44's and R46's.

The MTA seems more organized with their train assignments today. I remember how trains were all over the place.

I remember seeing a lot of trains on the A as well. R32's,R38's,R40's,R42's, R44's and R46's.

Don't forget that the R160s replaced several types of rolling stock so the number of different train types has decreased.

that is very ''usual'' because ive been their many times

Do you think it's logical to say that 75-78% of NYC is covered/served by the subway? Personally, that's where I'd put the percentage.

Do you mean if people live along a subway or if they take a bus to the subway as well? For Manhattan, I'd say it'd be like 80%, but Queens is like 40%. Brooklyn and the Bronx would be maybe 60-70%.

Do you mean if people live along a subway or if they take a bus to the subway as well? For Manhattan, I'd say it'd be like 80%, but Queens is like 40%. Brooklyn and the Bronx would be maybe 60-70%.

I'm talking about NYC in general. Meaning how much of the city's population can get to the subway without taking a bus. A walking distance not greater than 10 minutes.

If it's just walking at average pace, then Manhattan is closer to 95% (the lone exception being the far west side below 59-CC and East Village).  A 10 minute walk from 8Av below 59th puts you roughly between 10th and 11th (which merge back into WSH lower down), and at the moment there isn't much residential in those areas.

Amazing what you can find by looking for something else (which I still haven't found yet, but that's irrelevant)

Anyway, I miss flashing these things.... I thought I threw these away years ago....

12101.gif

(from the 6 digit number [R451....], the last 2 numbers intentionally removed)

Good God, those look so ancient!! lol P.S. Smart move removing the numbers... 

Do you think it's logical to say that 75-78% of NYC is covered/served by the subway? Personally, that's where I'd put the percentage.

======================================

It depends. Do you mean geography-wise, or in terms of people who can walk to the subway?

I think in that RPA report, it said something like 57% are within 1/3 mile. Not sure how many would be within 1/2 mile. Probably something like 65% or so. Remember that you have whole swaths of neighborhoods that are far from the subway.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

While doing research for a project of mine, something occured to me - why was the IRT built to narrower dimensions than the BMT/IND? Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

I think the builder/designer didn't want freight service or competitor passenger service to be running on his tracks.