SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The (A) and (C) needs more rush hour service in Brooklyn. I was on the (C) from Jay Street to Euclid and the (A) that came after the (C) at Jay Street finally caught up at Euclid Avenue. The constant door recycling was a huge problem due to overcrowding. And its a MAD HOUSE at Broadway jct. with Loads of people getting off and trying to board the trains.

Edited by VIP

So what happens if a 46 gets on the (E),MTA repremands them?

The only one who will get reprimanded is the T/O who didn't bring his reverser key. It's unlikely (but not impossible - I've seen it happen a couple times) for a R46 to be on the (E) simply because that line doesn't use Hillside layups, and Jamaica Yard won't send a R46 put-in to Parsons/Archer unless there's nothing else available.

Unusual equipment assignments I've personally seen since I started working here:

R62 on the (1)(2) and (4) -- my very last roundtrip on the (1) to South Ferry Terminal a week before the hurricane was with a Kawasaki R62

10 car R32 on the (A) -- last used a couple weekends ago when the (A) was turning at Jay

R160 on the (B) -- used for Barclays specials

R46 R68 R68A R160 on the (C) -- all last summer, started showing up one week after I got bumped from that line!

R68A, R160 on the (D) -- I've personally worked the 68A twice, and missed the 160 by one interval (it was borrowed after a (F) got rerouted)

R68A on the (F) -- worked this personally (borrowed from a rerouted (B) )

R32 on the (G) -- no comment

R68A on the (N)

It was on the local track though.

Back in the day the (3) would make local stops if there was a delay in (1) service hence the 9 car markers on the local tracks. They would try to avoid using a (2) train for the local whenever possible because of the length of the line and the possibility of major delays at the terminals. On the east side Lex line the (5) was the fill in for the (6) service, especially when the (5) trains were only going to Bowling Green.

Got on the (B) express at Grand Street at 10:00pm. Got to Brighton Beach at 10:30pm. No (Q) train in sight. Ran from Brighton Beach and reached Coney Island station by 10:41. Total commute time from Chinatown to Coney Island: 41 minutes. I reckon that's even faster than taking the (N) or (Q) from Canal Street on a typical day.

Got on the (B) express at Grand Street at 10:00pm. Got to Brighton Beach at 10:30pm. No (Q) train in sight. Ran from Brighton Beach and reached Coney Island station by 10:41. Total commute time from Chinatown to Coney Island: 41 minutes. I reckon that's even faster than taking the (N) or (Q) from Canal Street on a typical day.

I had scenarios where it took me 30-40 minutes with the (Q) from Canal to Kings Highway from that starting time. Though it is more convenient for me to take the (B) 

I had scenarios where it took me 30-40 minutes with the (Q) from Canal to Kings Highway from that starting time. Though it is more convenient for me to take the (B)

I think you misread. I spent the last 11 minutes of my trip running by foot from Brighton Beach to Coney Island. And to my astonishment, taking the (B) (operated by a competent crew) and then running was faster than all the other options except taking the (B) and then catching the (Q) at Sheepshead Bay.

The (Q) can be pretty quick, but depending on the time of day, crowds can hold the train at local stations longer than usual which makes the (B) very useful if it can save 5 minutes and get me to a (Q) at Sheepshead Bay.

Again, my point is not that the (6) cannot handle them, it's that the bean counters f**ked up on this one when they didn't reconfigure the schedule at all to avoid the kind of overcrowding and gaps in service that we're seeing.

Like I said numerous times they're not gonna last long on the (6), they can't handle the load like in the past, I don't see what's so damn hard to give the (6) R142's from somewhere else and place the R62A's elsewhere