SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Are T/O's and C/R's assigned yards and they can only change out every year like buses, or no?

If so, are there high seniority yards?

T/O's and C/R's are assigned to Lines and they have T/O's who only do switching moves around the yard, the latter is high seniority. IDK how often they have picks though.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently they are testing something out on the countdown clocks/ATS system, they have been intermittent at best today, and when they don't work at all the displays say "System Under Test" or "Train schedule is not available". Meanwhile the web app shows every IRT train with "Delay" instead of an ETA.

And a new one at Woodlawn, There were no time estimates but instead an arrow with a "Next Train Local" display, but it didn't seem to be automated since I missed a train and it didnt update for the next one.

Edited by paulrivera

Stations that are getting ADA access:

23 St (6)

South Ferry (1) out due to long term construction

World Trade Center (E) out due to long term construction

Kingsbridge Rd (B)(D)

Lefferts Blvd (A)

68 St (IRT Lexington Av)

8 Av (BMT Sea Beach)

Astoria Blvd (BMT Astoria)

Bedford Av (BMT Canarsie)

Bedford Park Blvd (IND Concourse)

Chambers St (BMT Nassau St)

Grand Army Plaza (IRT Eastern Pkwy)

Greenpoint Av (IND Crosstown)

Gun Hill Rd (IRT Dyre Av)

New Utrecht Av (BMT Sea Beach)/62 St (BMT West End)

Are T/Os being too careful? I know the quote "you can never be too careful", but seriously? The T/Os run slow on switch and when 5th car hits it, it starts going normal speed and what happens? Nothing. If you know that you can survive that switch fast with experience, then why don't you do it on a regular basis?

Just happened to look at the line map while waiting for a B6 bus tonight and noticed it still says the M stops at Bay Parkway. Seems like there's a lot of outdated signage when it comes to Nassau St. I recall seeing a sign at Chambers mentioning the N and R stopping there. And I believe it's been recently fixed, but earlier this year, the overhead sign at Alabama Ave stated J/Z trains ran express to Canal rather than Marcy.

Out of nowhere, I caught a CI Alstom set on the (F) this morning. It was 8733-8737 & 8818-8822 going S/B to Kings Highway.

that is weird.

Could it be the set that was transferred to jamaica?

http://www.thejoekorner.com/carassignments/New%20York%20Subway%20Barn%20Assignments-December%202014.htm

Also today I caught a video of a TO that accidentally took their M train to the 10 car marker at Queens Plaza.

Also today I caught a video of a TO that accidentally took their M train to the 10 car marker at Queens Plaza.

LMAO! :P

Are T/Os being too careful? I know the quote "you can never be too careful", but seriously? The T/Os run slow on switch and when 5th car hits it, it starts going normal speed and what happens? Nothing. If you know that you can survive that switch fast with experience, then why don't you do it on a regular basis?

Can I get an answer?

And also, I seriously can't wait until QBL gets countdown clocks! I keep missing my transfers to the express from (R) because I didn't know it was coming.

So let me tell you a story about why Lexington Avenue is BS. Today, when catching a (6), I desided to catch an express at 125 Street. It took 5 minutes for the express to come. I took the (5) to 14 Street to recatch the (6) for my stop Bleecker Street to transfer to the (F). When the train came, the station said the (6) will run express to Brooklyn Bridge, stopping at Bleecker Street. However, The T/O desided to be an @$$ and skip Bleecker Street as well, requiring me to transfer to the (J) and take it to Essex Street to make my transfer to the (F), which I missed as soon as my (J) arrived......

The dispatcher probably told the T/O last minute to run express from Union Sq to Brooklyn Bridge.

Kinda figured that, but what upset me the most is that the station said the (6) will stop at Bleecker Street, but since the (6) that arrived was an R62A, I barely heard the announcements and I ended up taking it to City Hall instead of Bleecker Street.

Kinda figured that, but what upset me the most is that the station said the (6) will stop at Bleecker Street, but since the (6) that arrived was an R62A, I barely heard the announcements and I ended up taking it to City Hall instead of Bleecker Street.

It's not your fault though. I usually just listen carefully to announcements that come directly from the C/R to avoid having my stop missed.

Just encountered something weird and maybe someone here can shed some light on it. I was waiting for a (C) train at High St about an hour ago when a (D) train rolled in. I asked the T/O where it was going and he said it would go on the (F) to CI. This made sense to me. Shortly afterward, a (B) train came and I really got confused. Again, I asked the T/O where it was going, but this time he was unsure of himself and suggested Brighton Beach. The train tried to leave the station, went 2 inches, then halted so that he could get further instructions on where he was actually going. 

Logically speaking, there is no possible way a train could get from High St to Brighton, right? Why wasn't this train terminated at WTC or 2 Ave? How can a train get that far without knowing where it's actually going? Can anybody help me out here?

And of course I was too befuddled to get pics. Rats.

Edited by TeeCoZee