SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh, my stupid iPad is really pissing me off...I can't even fix the typo in my previous post...

But yes, off-peak is midday, evening, and weekend, not rush hour. Like I said before, it's a strong possibility that you might see a bit more (C) service during rush hours and off-peak due to the newer cars and it's shorten trains.

Edited by RollOver

The (R) seems to run very infrequent despite what the schedule says. The (M) pretty much dominates the Queens Blvd local. Today early in the morning around I had missed the 8:22 (M) train and I expected an (R) to come a few minutes later. No instead another (M) showed up. This afternoon coming home from Queens Plaza I wanted to ride and R46 (R) train but none showed up for over twenty minutes. In that span of time three (M) trains passed and the forth one that came I decided to take it. I wonder what is happening to the (R) train at certain times of the day. I've noticed for the past three weeks (M) are running better than the (R) wish the (G) could be extended back to 71st Ave on weekends but I don't see that ever happening again. Last week was the first time I've ever used that line and you wait a good 12 minutes for a train. The (G) is crowded too and I hope they can at least go back to a 6 train R68A.

The (R) seems to run very infrequent despite what the schedule says. The (M) pretty much dominates the Queens Blvd local. Today early in the morning around I had missed the 8:22 (M) train and I expected an (R) to come a few minutes later. No instead another (M) showed up. This afternoon coming home from Queens Plaza I wanted to ride and R46 (R) train but none showed up for over twenty minutes. In that span of time three (M) trains passed and the forth one that came I decided to take it. I wonder what is happening to the (R) train at certain times of the day. I've noticed for the past three weeks (M) are running better than the (R) wish the (G) could be extended back to 71st Ave on weekends but I don't see that ever happening again. Last week was the first time I've ever used that line and you wait a good 12 minutes for a train. The (G) is crowded too and I hope they can at least go back to a 6 train R68A.

Its impossible to run a 6 car train of R68As

I'm getting tired of (6) trains crawling in the Bronx on evening runs uptown. Yesterday I was on a <6> that took nearly 50 minutes just to complete the Bronx portion of the trip. This was without a sick passenger, stalled train or any incident that would back up service. I've also been on plenty of trains that have been held for several minutes sometimes more than once north of Westchester Sq. What on earth has (6) service (mainly the Pelham express trips) constantly backed up in the Bronx? I'm getting tired of the (6) and given the (5) is the only other line I'm proximate to this is a problem.

Its impossible to run a 6 car train of R68As

Something needs to happen with the (G). It has the worst headways out of all the other subway routes. Today I waited 15minutes for a (G) to arrive and it was 6:07pm when I started waiting. I wish it could return to its pre 2010 routing. Queens Blvd can sure use the (G) on the weekends because the (R) is slow.

I paid another visit to Riverdale today. Going there, I took the (J) to the (M), to the (D), (made a stop in Harlem), then took the (A) to the Bx7.

The return trip was different this time:

Bx7 to the Metro North, took that to Grand Central, then the (5) to the (A)(C), got off at Ralph Av. I made a stop in Rite-Aid, then I took the (J) home.

Something needs to happen with the (G). It has the worst headways out of all the other subway routes. Today I waited 15minutes for a (G) to arrive and it was 6:07pm when I started waiting. I wish it could return to its pre 2010 routing. Queens Blvd can sure use the (G) on the weekends because the (R) is slow.

As much as I would love to see the (G) back on QBL, it would be very unwise to restore (G) service on QBL.

First of all, QBL sucks on the weekends, and by adding an another line, you're only going to make things worse, espically when CBTC work starts. Also, there's not high demand for direct service to Brooklyn from the QBL. Second of all, the (G) actually runs better in its current service pattern than it's previous one. Your only going to screw over the entire (G) line by extending it further.

The (M) on Queens Blvd alone is a short train in a long train territory, now picture the even shorter (G) train out there.

The (M) on Queens Blvd alone is a short train in a long train territory, now picture the even shorter (G) train out there.

If there is no construction on QB, a four car (G) on QB during the night and weekend to help the (E) or (R) is better than no help at all.

It would help riders at the QB local stations to at least travel between the express and local stops

As much as I would love to see the (G) back on QBL, it would be very unwise to restore (G) service on QBL.

First of all, QBL sucks on the weekends, and by adding an another line, you're only going to make things worse, espically when CBTC work starts. Also, there's not high demand for direct service to Brooklyn from the QBL. Second of all, the (G) actually runs better in its current service pattern than it's previous one. Your only going to screw over the entire (G) line by extending it further.

You can also make the (R) better by splitting it. But would you actually do that? Probably not. The gap between the two lines inconveniences people when they would ordinarily make use of through service to reach stations beyond the gap.

In the current situation, the (M) and construction on the Queens Boulevard line are the best reasons to scale back the (G). Shortening a route always makes it run better (like the (S)), but it's not a reason for the (G) to be shortened. Otherwise we'd run a bunch of shortened lines whenever possible.

I'm pretty sure every RTO employee that read your post cringed.

When that conductor is face to face with that supervisor he will be the one that will cringe for real it's like the (A) train last year incident all over again Edited by R3216068E

There's that. Also, aren't tower controllers responsible for setting the switches? The T/O may have been at fault for not clearing this up with the tower (DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT PRETEND TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT RTO OPERATIONS, I AM MERELY GUESSING BASED ON WHAT AVAILABLE INFO I HAVE), but he has no control over the actual positions of the switches.

Is there any confirmation that that photo is actually of what was described? I can think of a lot of other possible situations that would look like that.

When I saw the picture the first thing that came to mind was an evacuation from one train to another. I've done it a half dozen times albeit using SMEE equipment.