SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was thinking about this the other day.

I know they can't put 160s on the (A) because they'll fry in the Rockaways, but why not put them on the Ozone Park bound (A)? Would they be a problem there too?

I say this only because the crowding conditions on an R160 are better than an R46 IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Was thinking about this the other day.

I know they can't put 160s on the (A) because they'll fry in the Rockaways, but why not put them on the Ozone Park bound (A)? Would they be a problem there too?

I say this only because the crowding conditions on an R160 are better than an R46 IMO.

Any 60 feet cars are better crowd handlers than 75 feet cars. But Around the Horn is, unfortunately, right. The (A) 's headways, even during the off-peak hours (except Sunday), is more frequent which is why trains often never spend enough time at 207.

They should consider re-labeling the two (A) branches to eliminate confusion between Lefferts-bound trains and Far Rockaway-bound trains, and to potentially separate the Lefferts-bound train fleet from the Rockaway-bound train fleet. Forgive me if this idea has been brought up before, and if there are flaws to my idea (one potential drawback to this idea could include these two hypothetical services merging with the (C) ).

Edited by RTS9000

They should consider re-labeling the two (A) branches to eliminate confusion between Lefferts-bound trains and Far Rockaway-bound trains, and to potentially separate the Lefferts-bound train fleet from the Rockaway-bound train fleet. Forgive me if this idea has been brought up before, and if there are flaws to my idea (one potential drawback to this idea could include these two hypothetical services merging with the (C) ).

It's been brought up before, and the problem is that the vast majority of riders aren't traveling east of Rockaway Blvd, so it's adding an extra letter for riders to keep track of for no reason.

Also, without the NTTs, it's more rollsigns for the crews to change at 207th (since a lot of runs do Far Rockaway-207th and then 207th - Lefferts and vice versa). 

How deep is the express tracks on 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-4.svg.png 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-5.svg.png under Eastern Parkway Line between Grand Army Plaza and Franklin Ave? I know very end of platform at Grand Army Plaza towards Brooklyn Museum  20px-NYCS-bull-trans-B.svg.png 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-Q.svg.png runs under local platforms of 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-2.svg.png 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-3.svg.png. Im wondering how deep the express tracks because when im riding the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-4.svg.png to Utica after going downwards on steep slope from Bergen St my ears began to pop and i see that when we are nearing Franklin Ave the tunnel slopes up a bit.

How deep is the express tracks on 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-4.svg.png 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-5.svg.png under Eastern Parkway Line between Grand Army Plaza and Franklin Ave? I know very end of platform at Grand Army Plaza towards Brooklyn Museum  20px-NYCS-bull-trans-B.svg.png 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-Q.svg.png runs under local platforms of 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-2.svg.png 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-3.svg.png. Im wondering how deep the express tracks because when im riding the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-4.svg.png to Utica after going downwards on steep slope from Bergen St my ears began to pop and i see that when we are nearing Franklin Ave the tunnel slopes up a bit.

The profile insert here shows how the lines are arranged.

And it's connected to the (7)? Or is it connected by a ladder?

And an update on 76th Street station: I read somewhere that the MTA did some inspecting a few years ago and drilled a hole in the wall of the layup track at Euclid, but water came out and was resealed.

I need to know the answer, it's been bugging me ever since I heard about it. Is there an actual 76th Street station, and why won't the MTA just do us a favor and check? It's beneficial to them because they can extend the yard leads to store more trains, and to us because we will finally know the truth.

And it's connected to the (7)? Or is it connected by a ladder?

And an update on 76th Street station: I read somewhere that the MTA did some inspecting a few years ago and drilled a hole in the wall of the layup track at Euclid, but water came out and was resealed.

I need to know the answer, it's been bugging me ever since I heard about it. Is there an actual 76th Street station, and why won't the MTA just do us a favor and check? It's beneficial to them because they can extend the yard leads to store more trains, and to us because we will finally know the truth.

76 St station never existed. If that's the case they MTA should go on private property and dig straight down on 76 St and Pitkin Av to conclude their investigation.

It might just be an unfinished shell that's been filled in.

Bingo !!! The TA has no pictures of the station. The newspapers have no pictures of the station or it's opening. No contractor or worker has ever been there. No resident ever used the station and no one in RTO ever operated a train there. At least people have seen Utica upper (A), (C), or South Fourth, or Roosevelt Avenue.  I think it's a fantasy because no one has seen proof otherwise. Carry on.

It does exist. Just ask tunnelrat on subchat. There is something behind that wall!

I was thinking that same thing. It's on the boards, and there are signals facing the wall, then something has to be there. Goji may be right, but if it's a shell then we need to know. It might just be like the Lex Avenue Tunnel (which I learned about today thanks to you Union :)

What other G.Os you can think that will require borrowing trains from other yards lol?

Usually split G.O.s (where the line runs in two sections)

I distinctly remember the R62A (4), R142A (2), R62A (3), etc. during a split G.O. that only happened because the portion of the route that it was running on had limited access to its yard. 

Edited by LegoBrickBreaker101

So it continues.

Yesterday, a Queens-bound R160 (Q) (car 8786) had the glitch. It got the transfers for Herald Square, Times Square, Lexington Avenue, Queensboro Plaza, and Astoria Boulevard correct, but the rest of them (except 49th Street since it was running express) had the Atlantic-Barclays transfer (2, 3, 4, D, Q, R, LIRR).

Is there any news of the (MTA) fixing this issue? Because it's gonna be a matter of time before this spreads to other lines with NTT trains.

So it continues.

Yesterday, a Queens-bound R160 (Q) (car 8786) had the glitch. It got the transfers for Herald Square, Times Square, Lexington Avenue, Queensboro Plaza, and Astoria Boulevard correct, but the rest of them (except 49th Street since it was running express) had the Atlantic-Barclays transfer (2, 3, 4, D, Q, R, LIRR).

Is there any news of the (MTA) fixing this issue? Because it's gonna be a matter of time before this spreads to other lines with NTT trains.

They now start announcing the transfers which is bad based on what I heard.