SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, S78 via Hylan said:

As I’m waiting for the (J), an (M) signed up to Metropolitan terminated at Broadway Junction. Any idea what that’s about?

Signal Switch issues might've been the reason...

Delays  Posted: 09/25/2018  4:40PM 

(J) and (M) train service has resumed following earlier switch problems at Myrtle Av.  

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks
Accidentally used "signal"

17 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I had an idea:

You guys know when MNRR uses those platform extenders to board people at stations when the platform track is out of service? Why not use that for elevated stations in the subway?

Are you crazy?? I don't think so.  I can see lawsuit written all over that.  Those platform extenders are usually in areas where the train stations aren't elevated. Whole different ballgame.  

4 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Yes, very crazy 😛

lol... Metro-North's stations are much more further apart and where there's the opportunity to work without shutting down lines they do it, otherwise they run shuttle buses. I'm really not a fan of those platform extenders.  They slow down service because there's only one door to enter and exit out of. Years ago coming back from Westchester, I was driven to the Fleetwood station.  I got on the train and it was PACKED, so packed that I could not get off the train in time at Woodlawn because the idiots in front of me weren't moving fast enough to reach the first car, so I had to get off at Fordham and change my travel plans completely.  They do that with trains that stop at Botanical Garden on weekends and the boarding and de-boarding process is insane because the trains are so packed with people all in the aisles.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I had an idea:

You guys know when MNRR uses those platform extenders to board people at stations when the platform track is out of service? Why not use that for elevated stations in the subway?

Ok. Let's say we do this plan. Have the extended platform at Yankees Stadium, Fordham plaza, Astoria line stations....

Safety hazards. The end.

20 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Ok. Let's say we do this plan. Have the extended platform at Yankees Stadium, Fordham plaza, Astoria line stations....

Safety hazards. The end.

Well, let's not be so hasty here. Bridge plates can't work on lines that have varied fleets (think doors) but I don't see any reason they couldn't be set up on viaducts. Most stations have relatively flat profiles, so as long as people don't wait on the plates (a rule enforced by some sort of attendant on the railroads), there should be no hazard not already present in elevated ops. 

You'd just have to retrofit viaducts to have hardpoints that will hold them, and have enough of them present (either on a roving flatcar or at each station) to accept an entire train. 

Didn't they use to make temporary platforms on the El stations? They would put a wooden platform (10 cars long) over one of the local tracks and have trains in the affected direction do the station stop on the middle track. I faintly remember seeing them on the (4) line when I was a kid and on the (2) line in like the mid-to-late 2000's....

5 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Didn't they use to make temporary platforms on the El stations? They would put a wooden platform (10 cars long) over one of the local tracks and have trains in the affected direction do the station stop on the middle track. I faintly remember seeing them on the (4) line when I was a kid and on the (2) line in like the mid-to-late 2000's....

They definitely did this while rehabbing Pelham Parkway (2) in the 2000s.

Hello New York! I am an Industrial Design student at NC State University. For one of my projects, I am researching the public transit industries. Can you please answer a few questions to help me better understand your experiences using public transit? I want to use this information to design a better system and experience. Thanks in advance!

Survey Link: https://goo.gl/forms/pPyMDCcPYC6uRMyn1

2 minutes ago, EphraimB said:

When did this happen?

Looks like last Tuesday during that big downpour we had.

Just now, biGC323232 said:

Thats water coming into the subway platform....Wow...Looks like the station is outside

...and onto the train... Just imagine you're texting and boom outta nowhere a gush of water all over you. LOL

I've seen photos from Penn Station that were crazy too. Whole platform just flooded with water from above.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8