SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

3 hours ago, CenSin said:

Hey! You can't just send anyone. There is a specific position for clearing out tree branches from local tracks—and another one for clearing tree branches from express tracks. Just what the union demanded for it's workers.

I would have cleared it myself if I was late. How big was that tree branch?

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah and with no AC too... Old times indeed. lol I changed over to another line to finish my commute. They must've stole those from the (6) .

They did loan them from the (6) because the (4) was partially isolated from its yard

3 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Yeah. I saw one at Atlantic Avenue heading uptown while I was on a downtown-bound (3) earlier this afternoon around 3:30-ish.

Supposedly there was a (4) train that went up 7th Avenue at around that time too. Something about a BIE at Nevins Street may have led to that happening (if it happened)

36 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Why is it that the (W) gets the weekend service when needed but not the (B) when the (4) is out?

It's additional service for the (7) not running in Manhattan, 

as for the (B) , there's the (Q)(D) and (C) to cover that line

The (4) : (2)(3) service

4 minutes ago, Calvin said:

It's additional service for the (7) not running in Manhattan, 

as for the (B) , there's the (Q)(D) and (C) to cover that line

The (4) : (2)(3) service

I didn't explain clearly.

When the (4) is out north of 125th St, the (B) should run AT LEAST between 145th St and Bedford Park. The (D) can not handle both it's own crowds and the (4)'s at the same time.

7 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I didn't explain clearly.

When the (4) is out north of 125th St, the (B) should run AT LEAST between 145th St and Bedford Park. The (D) can not handle both it's own crowds and the (4)'s at the same time.

Or you can run extra (D) s to 2nd Avenue/9th Avenue and accomplish the same thing.

12 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

(B) between 145 St and Bedford Park (outside of rush hours)

(W) between Whitehall St and Astoria (outside of weekdays)

Tell me which one is most recognizable to riders.

How about:

(M) between 96th St and Metropolitan Av (outside of weekdays and weekends and late nights)

(B) between 145th and Bedford Park (outside of rush hours.)

(W) between Whitehall St and Astoria.

The (W) does the same route. The (B) operates a portion of it's route, so people will know where it's going.

The (M) is confusing enough as it is with it's 4 terminals.

People will recognize the (B) as a supplemental line as it always is.

Edited by Lawrence St

10 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

How about:

(M) between 96th St and Metropolitan Av (outside of weekdays and weekends and late nights)

The (W) does the same route. The (B) operates a portion of it's route, so people will know where it's going.

People will recognize the (B) .

MysteriousBtrain is right though. People will become baffled once the (B) terminates at 145th Street after finishing its trip from Bedford Park. It's a better idea to run extra (D) trains instead. Most of the displaced Jerome Avenue Line riders are heading all the way towards Midtown and Downtown anyway (other displaced Jerome Avenue Line riders can get off at 125th Street for a crosstown bus heading towards the East Side) as well as the Grand Concourse Line riders themselves. The (W) on the other hand isn't confusing because ever since it got revived, people are already used to its current routing design, running between Astoria and Whitehall instead of calling it "extra (N) trains".

Edited by Jemorie

7 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

How about:

People will recognize the (B) as a supplemental line as it always is.

Basically confirmed that it's not the same thing. Let's go through more comparisons then.

(5) between 149 St and Bowling Green. Already has weekend service so it's not really much of a difference if it was called extra (4) s.

(Q) (before SAS) between 57 St and Atlantic Av. (Q) is already known as the weekend express on Broadway so it makes sense.

(M) between 96 St and Metropolitan Av. 6 Av service from Metropolitan Av is most commonly known as (M) . Same thing with (W) between Astoria and Whitehall St as stated above.

(B) between Bedford Park and 145 St. First of all how often do we even get the (B) outside of rush hours? Second when was the last time the (B) ran weekends? Another point to bring up is the Yankees/Soccer specials. Do we even get those signed as (B) let alone (D) like that? Most are just "Special".

22 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

First of all how often do we even get the (B) outside of rush hours? 

It has happened a few times before (some midday GOs), last time was in 2009 (middays and evenings)

http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=737756&p=1

23 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Second when was the last time the (B) ran weekends? 

Outside of Yankees/Barclays/Soccer specials, July 2001

23 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Another point to bring up is the Yankees/Soccer specials. Do we even get those signed as (B) let alone (D) like that? Most are just "Special".

Some specials have been signed and announced as (B).  The Barclays specials using r160s are signed as (B) trains to 145 St.