SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/26/2018 at 11:21 PM, paulrivera said:

Didn't they use to make temporary platforms on the El stations? They would put a wooden platform (10 cars long) over one of the local tracks and have trains in the affected direction do the station stop on the middle track. I faintly remember seeing them on the (4) line when I was a kid and on the (2) line in like the mid-to-late 2000's....

Yes, they did it with the (Q) as well but that set up is safer than the platform extenders.

This morning some riders got stuck in the Clark Street (2) station elevator for an hour. To make it worse, there was loud banging outside the elevator and the riders inside had no idea what was going on, must have been terrifying!

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.gothamist.com/amp/articles/create%3farticle_id=5bb2555cec23ea000192efe5

This is part of the reason when I go to Wash heights, I always take the (A) just to avoid those elevators.

9 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

This morning some riders got stuck in the Clark Street (2) station elevator for an hour. To make it worse, there was loud banging outside the elevator and the riders inside had no idea what was going on, must have been terrifying!

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.gothamist.com/amp/articles/create%3farticle_id=5bb2555cec23ea000192efe5

This is part of the reason when I go to Wash heights, I always take the (A) just to avoid those elevators.

I agree....I always try to avoid useing a station with just an elevator for an exit.....

I would like to know why Jamaica is breaking up their “Cuomo scheme” sets. 9872-9868 is paired with 9222-9218. And The R46’s got the Yellow looped stanchions R46 5796 and friends and 5655 and friends... I thought the contract was only for R160’s and R62A’s. 

@RR503@Dj HammersI just heard an interesting discussion from the cab of my (F) train between the T/O and I believe another T/O. We were approaching the GT 25 signals into Roosevelt heading toward Manhattan. Trains always go 11-12 MPH to get past them. The one not operating the train mentioned that it was a joke; trains just barely cleared the signals at 11 MPH. It was reported to another department, but was ignored. This is what I don't understand. The T/Os and C/Os know the system the best: they operate the trains. Their voices should be heard. While it is crazy that there are so many timers, it is insane that trains can't even meet the speeds they were designed to accommodate.

3 hours ago, VIP said:

I would like to know why Jamaica is breaking up their “Cuomo scheme” sets. 9872-9868 is paired with 9222-9218.

Reminds you of the MTA Corporate design of the early '70s, doesn't it? When it was first unveiled, all cars of a particular consist had the same scheme, but as time went on and cars were taken apart to be serviced, they'd eventually run with a variety of designs from the sky-blue/white World's Fair colors to whatever design was in vogue at the time. Combine this with a limited amount of cars in the Cuomo-scheme and this will be the end result.

3 hours ago, VIP said:

And The R46’s got the Yellow looped stanchions R46 5796 and friends and 5655 and friends... I thought the contract was only for R160’s and R62A’s.

I believe it has been expanded to most fleets with the 32s and 42s being exempted for the time being. Several of the IRT NTTs are also receiving these upgrades as well.

5 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

@RR503@Dj HammersI just heard an interesting discussion from the cab of my (F) train between the T/O and I believe another T/O. We were approaching the GT 25 signals into Roosevelt heading toward Manhattan. Trains always go 11-12 MPH to get past them. The one not operating the train mentioned that it was a joke; trains just barely cleared the signals at 11 MPH. It was reported to another department, but was ignored. This is what I don't understand. The T/Os and C/Os know the system the best: they operate the trains. Their voices should be heard. While it is crazy that there are so many timers, it is insane that trains can't even meet the speeds they were designed to accommodate.

A massive issue, absolutely -- and I believe it's being looked at. This was mentioned in the last full board meeting's press conference IIRC. I'm unsure as to the exact mechanism of review, but it's on the radar. 

I saw an R42 signed up as an H (but likely not in service) in the Rockaways earlier today. The train was approaching B105 st station bound for 116 when I saw it. And I also saw it go in the opposite direction some time later. Any reason for this? Is it a possibility the R42’s will go to the A seeing the J line will be all NTT? Anyways, I wish I got a photo, but I actually saw this out of my schools window lol.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

2 hours ago, RR503 said:

A massive issue, absolutely -- and I believe it's being looked at. This was mentioned in the last full board meeting's press conference IIRC. I'm unsure as to the exact mechanism of review, but it's on the radar. 

Byford is apparently running test trains to gauge the accuracy of signals around the system. This was mentioned by an angry T/O at one of the Fast Forward town halls (angry about T/Os getting penalized for tripping red signals), who said this wasn't public knowledge, but it's apparently a thing. Maybe that's already known here but it was news to me at least.

Edited by Mysterious2train

13 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

This is an issue that I am acutely aware of, and I am actively involved in efforts to rectify it. Every second counts! :D 

Edited by Dj Hammers

14 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

I hear the new signals at 75th Avenue (manhattan bound) are giving T/O’s problems, causing congestion and reducing trains to 10mph.

9 minutes ago, VIP said:

I hear the new signals at 75th Avenue (manhattan bound) are giving T/O’s problems, causing congestion and reducing trains to 10mph.

Yes. The DGTs in station there are a PITA — there’s a million of them, they’re one shots, and no one trusts the posted speed. 

That said, the outbound ones for diverging (F)s are worse. I believe @bulk88 wrote about this elsewhere, but those DGTs simply do not correspond to their posted speeds, and clear slow enough that they markedly reduce all (E)(F) velocity through the area.

Generally, DGT implementation has been disappointing. They’re a great idea — selectively time trains based on whether they actually need timing — but the way they’re operated leaves a lot to desire.

Take Church Ave. So many times have I been on (F)s that enter there without any (G) nearby, and yet still have had to operate as if we were diverging into relay. Those timers supposedly follow a logically speeded regression to the divergence, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a TO who has taken them at anything more than posted speed - 10 (for good reason, they clear weirdly). The double edged-ness of DGTs comes into play at Forest Hills’ terminating local tracks too, I’ve been told. Yes, all trains are diverging into relay there, but the speed penalty those DGTs impose there — an area that already suffers from conga lines — is ridiculous. At the very least, they should make sure those one shots really clear at what they say, if not fully allow trains to enter on straight indication.

Edited by RR503

19 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I honestly think that MTA is going a little overboard with all these timers. They are seriously impacting service.

That’s silly!!!! 

If they were really concerned with the Train Speeds, then they should’ve taken the time to rebuild the signals in a certain corridor. Not add timers where they’re unneeded. 

On a side note. The 6th Avenue shutdown G.O. makes little sense to me. If their goal is to modernize signals, then why not shut down the entire corridor for about 8-9 months or a year to do all of this work? Realistically, if 6th Avenue was shutdown for a period of time as I stated above, that’d be enough time to Rebuild Signals, Add Elevators, Modernize Stations, add low vibration rails, etc. and the service pattern would go a little something like the current weekend pattern with some slight modifications:

(A)(C)(E)(Q)(R) unchanged 

(B)(W) suspended

(M) temporarily cut to Essex or Chambers

(D) via 8th Avenue and Culver

(F) Queens Blvd Local/Broadway/4th Av Express via West End (to provide decent Local service in Queens” 

(N) Broadway Local via Whitehall and 4th Avenue local (on Weekends) (runs a few Extra TPH) 

Not the best solution, but if (MTA)’s goal was to Modernize or repair 6th Avenue, this is how it should’ve been done. Obviously it would come with an inconvinience

2 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

On a side note. The 6th Avenue shutdown G.O. makes little sense to me. If their goal is to modernize signals, then why not shut down the entire corridor for about 8-9 months or a year to do all of this work?

Not a sixth avenue rider whatsoever, but i'd imagine this method would see more short term costs, that the people and the MTA would have to deal with. In this current state, they probably don't want to waste more resources on such a plan that already works ok when stretched out longer, and is more convenient for riders. Even if I do feel your idea  is pretty sensible. 

7 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

IShqa05.jpg

I've never seen that sign either, they're probably trying it out or something. Pretty cool in my opinion, though what would be cooler is if they programmed arrows or text on the screen to point on the train that you shouldn't board. For improved communication to those who have never been on the subway before (especially along Archer where this photo was taken). Maybe in place or right next to the "1." and "2." on the screen

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

10 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

That’s silly!!!! 

If they were really concerned with the Train Speeds, then they should’ve taken the time to rebuild the signals in a certain corridor. Not add timers where they’re unneeded. 

On a side note. The 6th Avenue shutdown G.O. makes little sense to me. If their goal is to modernize signals, then why not shut down the entire corridor for about 8-9 months or a year to do all of this work? Realistically, if 6th Avenue was shutdown for a period of time as I stated above, that’d be enough time to Rebuild Signals, Add Elevators, Modernize Stations, add low vibration rails, etc. and the service pattern would go a little something like the current weekend pattern with some slight modifications:

(B)(W) suspended

(F) Queens Blvd Local/Broadway/4th Av Express via West End (to provide decent Local service in Queens” 

(N) Broadway Local via Whitehall and 4th Avenue local (on Weekends) (runs a few Extra TPH) 

Not the best solution, but if (MTA)’s goal was to Modernize or repair 6th Avenue, this is how it should’ve been done. Obviously it would come with an inconvinience

Actually due to the limited track capacity on 8 Av/Cranberry St, you would need to run the (C) only to World Trade Center and run the (A) Local in Brooklyn. The (B) could still run, albeit as a <Q> type service between Brighton Beach and DeKalb Av, then via the (Q) to 96 St. the (R) can handle the QB local and slightly increase the TPH to 12-13, the (N) having the other 14 TPH.

Edited by darkstar8983

15 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

That’s silly!!!! 

(B)(W) suspended

No way in hell. (F)'s go all the way to Brooklyn. If more locals are needed, (E) locals can cover it.

Edited by Missabassie