SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I wouldn't sleep on the R42s, its a back and forth discussion on what to do with the cars, they are looking more like shit, people say they'll be gone when the R179s come in, there's a rumor saying next month, if the same amount of R32s stay on the J past this month than that's gonna be something, say if they decided to give the (C) all the R160s (172-184) of em ( (C) doesn't need 222 R160s due to the reliability of the cars) and 184 R32s go to the (J) in total (that would be the total altogether with the 72 cars already there), that would really wipe out the R42s, they have to do something with the R42s to make em stay, its obvious that they don't do as much work to em, the only rumor I heard is they'll be gone by next month, IMO I doubt it but we'll wait and see

The J and the C are both 8 car trains. The total car requirements are exactly the same whether the C is 100% R32, 100% R160, or anything in between.

In other words, I don't know if the R42's are going to stick around until the R179's or if they're going to be retired sooner, but it certainly doesn't depend on whether the C is running R160's.

Something I've wondered, what exactly resulted in Montague Street being more damaged during Sandy than the other tunnels?

The flooding was worse and took longer to pump out than anywhere else. The longer salt water is in contact with electrical components, the more damage it does.

Good luck to the passengers on the  (1) line if they are on the R62A line in a car with broken ac! I once took a South Ferry Bound  (1) Train to The Last Stop and one car was with broken ac and it was during the summer!

Any particular reason you're restricting that to one line and to one car class? It's pretty dreadful being in a hot car, on any line and of any car class.

What's the point of those timers between Clinton-Washington and Franklin Ave on the (C) s/b? Seems like it'd be on top of the list of some of the most useless timers in the system...

I can't speak to this one in particular, but most of the recent timers have been installed to bring the signals into compliance with safety standards - that is, without the timer, there's a risk that a train that passes a red signal at max speed will hit the train ahead (or will come too close to comfort - I don't know what the safety margin is).

I dont need personalized service. I need consistent service. Why even have stations if you arent gonna stop there?

And its not even that. I know repairs are necessary I know that. But its never Ave J M and H its always Neck Rd and Av U.

Can i at least get some warning? Like i said there was nothing to inform commuters.

I got an email alert on September 10 at 3:35 PM about the service change starting the following day. If you're not signed up for email alerts, perhaps you should sign up.

J, M, and H often encounter similar GO's.

Q: We already know the Montague street Tube is shut down till oct.2014, How come the (R) cant run in 2 sections but has to run over the bridge on weekends?

To allow work to take place closer to Court Street than can take place when trains are terminating there, and to reduce costs and crew requirements.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The J and the C are both 8 car trains. The total car requirements are exactly the same whether the C is 100% R32, 100% R160, or anything in between.

In other words, I don't know if the R42's are going to stick around until the R179's or if they're going to be retired sooner, but it certainly doesn't depend on whether the C is running R160's.

The flooding was worse and took longer to pump out than anywhere else. The longer salt water is in contact with electrical components, the more damage it does.

Any particular reason you're restricting that to one line and to one car class? It's pretty dreadful being in a hot car, on any line and of any car class.

I can't speak to this one in particular, but most of the recent timers have been installed to bring the signals into compliance with safety standards - that is, without the timer, there's a risk that a train that passes a red signal at max speed will hit the train ahead (or will come too close to comfort - I don't know what the safety margin is).

I got an email alert on September 10 at 3:35 PM about the service change starting the following day. If you're not signed up for email alerts, perhaps you should sign up.

J, M, and H often encounter similar GO's.

To allow work to take place closer to Court Street than can take place when trains are terminating there, and to reduce costs and crew requirements.

Can trains still terminate on Whitehall St on weekends when the tunnel is closed? Just in case when the South Side of the birdge need emergency repairs.

So what do we think causes an electrical fire like the one on my (5) train today? Seemed isolated to one motor, so I'm guessing it was a rogue wire or something. Crazy amount of smoke though, luckily somebody used the Passenger Intercom correctly and they were able to evacuate us in a station as opposed to on the tracks. 

Edit: For those of keeping score, the motor at fault seemed to be in either car 6835 or car 7050. Think 6835.

Edited by MHV9218

I dont get it...

Is it because there is no plastic/glass covering the rollsign?

Yup. I could touch the seemingly clean, but actually dirty rollsign.

Around the Horn, notice how there aren't any reflections on the D bullet as opposed to the rollsigns to the left.

I doubt someone shattered it, since there were no broken shards anywhere.

Edited by Gong Gahou

Yeah it is, correct. 5pointz is a publicly funded landmark and also a non for profit arts program that teaches aspiring artists in many areas, including forms of urban art. They are under threat of a gentrification geared housing development project and were bought out (the lease terms expired). So they are fundraising to move the location of the art exhibit and school. Urban artists from all over the world goes there and contribute their pieces or are mentored on the hip hop art, during the classic hip hop movement from it's start. Other forms of conventional urban art (popular stencil graffiti art prevalent in the hipster subculture movement) are also taught there by the artists in the game some for decades.

Edited by realizm

5Pointz is definitely not a landmark. It's a shitty old warehouse covered in art, but to a real estate developer, it's just a shitty old warehouse.

Unrelated, missed an R62A (6) by a minute this morning. Metrocard took a fare and jammed and there were cops behind me so I was stuck. Looked like a set in the 1740s...

Edited by MHV9218

This all depends on your interpretation of a landmark. In the world of hip hop art, yes it is a landmark.

Well yeah lol, it's a landmark in that I love the place too, but in the important bureaucratic sense as to whether they can demolish it willy-nilly, it sure isn't a Landmark. And that right there is the problem.

Edited by MHV9218

Should've taken photos, but looks like they installed transponders on the southbound express track on the IND Crosstown at Church. Saw a balise between the rails halfway in station and another a little further north. I thought the CBTC tests were going to be on the northbound track, but whatever. Looks like they're installing some system for testing there.

Edited by Culver

Well yeah lol, it's a landmark in that I love the place too, but in the important bureaucratic sense as to whether they can demolish it willy-nilly, it sure isn't a Landmark. And that right there is the problem.

Gotcha. Forgot to flick on the sarcasm detector. Then yes, in agreement.

Are you talking about employment in the MTA or simply in general? Either way, it's because of the current economic conditions. Employers are less likely to hire new employees when there is uncertainty in the economy. Then there's the issue of so many people looking for so few jobs that the likelihood of actually obtaining a job is becoming smaller and smaller.

Are you talking about employment in the MTA or simply in general? Either way, it's because of the current economic conditions. Employers are less likely to hire new employees when there is uncertainty in the economy. Then there's the issue of so many people looking for so few jobs that the likelihood of actually obtaining a job is becoming smaller and smaller.

Agreed, even college grads are having a hard time finding jobs, but back to the 188's once it goes in service I'll grab a pic of it especially the brand new cars