SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always heard it with the "g" sound, not the "h".

Well I don't know what to tell you, but I grew up in Brooklyn and spent tons of time in Brooklyn Heights along that very street and that's how we Brooklynites say it.

When said quickly it sounds like what I said before but this link also has that "h" sound I mentioned.

http://www.urbanedgeny.com/apartment-living-blog/how-do-you-pronounce-houston-street-and-schermerhorn-and-desbrosses-and/

• Montague – [MON-tuh-gyo]
Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

The other day I made a cross platform transfer from an (E) to an (E) at Union Turnpike.

We pulled in to Union Turnpike on the Express tracks, and there was a "special" (E) across the platform to 179th st. We ran somewhat light to 179th. I wonder if there were (F) delays because the bus lines weren't long. And my bus was actually light!

Well I don't know what to tell you, but I grew up in Brooklyn and spent tons of time in Brooklyn Heights along that very street and that's how we Brooklynites say it.

When said quickly it sounds like what I said before but this link also has that "h" sound I mentioned.

http://www.urbanedgeny.com/apartment-living-blog/how-do-you-pronounce-houston-street-and-schermerhorn-and-desbrosses-and/

• Montague – [MON-tuh-gyo]

I'm just telling you how I heard it and still hear it. I don't need a history lesson or a series of links to how others pronounce it.

Well excuse me for responding on a public forum. I wasn't aware this was a private conversation. Oh wait, it isn't.

You're right it isn't, hence why I don't understand your remark about why I'm posting the link as if it is solely for you.  You just need to take that chip off of your shoulder once in a while and you'd be a lot better off.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

The other day I made a cross platform transfer from an (E) to an (E) at Union Turnpike.

We pulled in to Union Turnpike on the Express tracks, and there was a "special" (E) across the platform to 179th st. We ran somewhat light to 179th. I wonder if there were (F) delays because the bus lines weren't long. And my bus was actually light!

It's normal because Jamaica Center can only turn so many trains at rush hour. So they send some (E)'s to 179. IMO, it's not consistent.

It's normal because Jamaica Center can only turn so many trains at rush hour. So they send some (E)'s to 179. IMO, it's not consistent.

I've seen it before as well.

From what I saw in one of mark1447's (or bebo2good's) videos, it was revealed that the (R) was extended further to 179th Street during its last runs of the night.

Credits goes to him:

IND Subway: 179th St Bound R160B (R) Train at Union Turnpike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afljoS7YXNE

A post reads "It was due to unspecified work on the lead in tracks to the Jamaica Yard or near there. The M was cut back to 57 St/6 Av for the last few hours of service."

I've seen it before as well.

A post reads "It was due to unspecified work on the lead in tracks to the Jamaica Yard or near there. The M was cut back to 57 St/6 Av for the last few hours of service."

Thanks for quoting my response on YT.

I know they send (E) 's to/from 179th. In the morning they go Express so something like that wouldn't happen in the morning. In the evenings they go local, therefore one could make a cross platform transfer from  (E) to (E) if they arrive at Union Turnpike Simultaneously, although in my case the (E) to 179th was held in the station for people to make the connection.

So guys, sorry if this has been asked and answered before...I was wondering about something:

img_138755.jpg

City: New York
System: New York City Transit
Car: R-110A (Kawasaki, 1992) 8005
Photo by: Daniel Negron
Date: 2/14/2013

So these cars were being converted to new Pump Cars last February. My question is: what kind of progress has been done so far on these cars, if any since February?

Also, a related but separate question: I read somewhere one car of each, an R110A and R110B is to be preserved. Is that true?

Thanks, guys.