SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it me or that whenever I go to chinatown taking it from brooklyn on some weekends, every time I see a (R) its always this empty (1-3 people)

I'm certain majority of the people traveling to Chinatown from Brooklyn actually take the (D) more so then the (N) thus you not seeing much people on the (R) . Pretty sure because most people that are used to taking the (N) would wait for an (N) rather the (R).

Agreed on the (D) and the (R) . But let me add that its the (N) that also has extremely high ridership (if not more) to both Asian business districts/residental neighborhoods in both boroughs, in both directions depending on the day and time.

Particularly on the weekday AM or PM rush the Sea Beach Express will get crushloaded by the time it hits Canal on the PM or 8th Avenue on the AM. The majority of passengers access the 8th Ave on the Sea Beach to commute to and from work, also on Saturdays as many native NY'ers have to work Saturdays in either business district in both boroughs.

I regularly commute on the (N) taking it from 8th Avenue.

Took this pic recently:

IMG_0249_zps5d4639b3.jpg

Edited by realizm

Agreed on the (D) and the (R) . But let me add that its the (N) that also has extremely high ridership (if not more) to both Asian business districts/residental neighborhoods in both boroughs, in both directions depending on the day and time.

Particularly on the weekday AM or PM rush the (N) will get crushloaded by the time it hits Canal on the PM or 8th Avenue on the AM. The majority of passengers access the 8th Ave on the Sea Beach to commute to and from work, also on Saturdays as many native NY'ers have to work Saturdays in either business district in both boroughs.

I regularly commute on the (N) taking it from 8th Avenue.

Took this pic recently:

IMG_0249_zps5d4639b3.jpg

Plus there's all the schoolkids getting on at Atlantic Avenue, which only makes it worse.

That too. Again when school's out, particularly the (N) , no seats.  Forget it during the weekday rush. The (D) is heavily used as well but at least you can get a seat.

The (D) heading to/from the Bronx, now thats a different story. It's a killer, during the weekday rush even weekends up to practically midnight up to Tremont.

(Edited previous post, too many (N) bullets)

Edited by realizm

Has anyone seen the new (R) programming for the R160's? 

FINDFail_zps8208e7f7.jpg

I didn't know I could get the (1)(2)(3)(L) or PATH in Queens...

Saw that today Bay Ridge bound.Interestingly had 1 2 3 L PATH for every non transfer station except 86th which had the (D) on the FIND and announced the transfer to the S79 SBS.Somewhat related:It would be nice if they announced the S53/93 too considering the Exit signs in the station mention them too...

Saw that today Bay Ridge bound.Interestingly had 1 2 3 L PATH for every non transfer station except 86th which had the (D) on the FIND and announced the transfer to the S79 SBS.Somewhat related:It would be nice if they announced the S53/93 too considering the Exit signs in the station mention them too...

They only mention buses if they are to an airport or if they are SBS otherwise the FINDs would be really crowded.

Subway Time will be activated on the (L) line very, very soon...

And also, something I've been working on during my spare time (kinda started on it when countdown clock data went public last year, but I've been on-and-off with it)

LTraintest_zpsb1345f9e.png

Oh wait are you in an IT internship with the MTA? Good deal thats a good move if you are.

I saw the site page: http://apps.mta.info/traintime/

subwaytime_zps8b6e4dc2.jpg

Edited by realizm

Subway Time will be activated on the (L) line very, very soon...

And also, something I've been working on during my spare time (kinda started on it when countdown clock data went public last year, but I've been on-and-off with it)

<images removed>

If true, then it's about time.

Oh wait are you in an IT internship with the MTA? Good deal thats a good move if you are.

I saw the site page: http://apps.mta.info/traintime/

I'm actually not.

Just happen to be good with spreadsheets and the like... The spreadsheet is mine (but the fonts are not)

If true, then it's about time.

All they'd have to do is update the SubwayTime website by inserting the (L) stations and decipher the data...

I love it when my (C) (that I RFW'ed from 168th to Euclid today before heading to catch an R42 (J)) local blasted into 125th at 37 MPH, 42nd at 40 MPH, 23rd and 14th at 37-38 MPH, midway through the Cranberry tube at 44-45 MPH, Utica and Shepherd at 36-37 MPH.

35-39 MPH is relatively fast too like 40-50 MPH. The older trains still rock more at these speeds. 20-29 MPH is just smooth.

One mind-boggling question: Why do some conductors, if not all stick their fingers out before they open the doors at the station?

It's a requirement that conductors point to the board before opening the doors. Not sure if the rule says anything about pointing with your hand out the window though.

Talking about strip maps, the R62 (1) I took today (might have been #1307) had its (3) map removed.

Watch it go back on the (3) now :P

It makes sense... When it does go back on the (3) it will get back it's correct strip map. The same happened to 2175, 2236 & 1891 when they went on the (7) . (1891-1895 is still on the (7) btw...)

Another thing on strip maps... Will the (1) ever get any updated strip maps? All I see are the outdated ones with the (W) , (V) and other cut lines on there from pre June-2010...

Also, I wonder if the (7) will re-update theirs. It still says Q32 (Yes, Q32) to LGA & 45 Road-Court House Square with Free metrocard transfer to (E)(G) & (M) .

Edited by 4P3607