SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

So the R62As for the (6) are finally having their (7) strip maps removed...about time!

I noticed that yesterday , i rode both sets 1741-1750 and I caught 1721-1725 and 1791-1795 , but the R62As won't get (6) strip maps or yellow yard stickers till likely next year or so.

Edited by R62AR33

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed on the (D) and the (R) . But let me add that its the (N) that also has extremely high ridership (if not more) to both Asian business districts/residental neighborhoods in both boroughs, in both directions depending on the day and time.

Particularly on the weekday AM or PM rush the Sea Beach Express will get crushloaded by the time it hits Canal on the PM or 8th Avenue on the AM. The majority of passengers access the 8th Ave on the Sea Beach to commute to and from work, also on Saturdays as many native NY'ers have to work Saturdays in either business district in both boroughs.

I regularly commute on the (N) taking it from 8th Avenue.

Speaking of 8th av. I recently had to take the N there over and totally agree they need to reopen the 7th av station entrance. The 8th av side was like a mad house especially with people going up and down the single flight of stairs on each platform. If the person isn't on the platform by the time the train pulls in, they are sol with the mass of people making their way up.

Speaking of 8th av. I recently had to take the N there over and totally agree they need to reopen the 7th av station entrance. The 8th av side was like a mad house especially with people going up and down the single flight of stairs on each platform. If the person isn't on the platform by the time the train pulls in, they are sol with the mass of people making their way up.

Tell me about it.  Those three sets of staircases under the 8th Ave mezzazine are incredibly inadequate for such a station with extremely high ridership in terms of inefficiency for handling traffic and the condition of the stairs leaves much to be desired. I have to watch my steps everytime I am entering the subway through 8th Ave to/or from street level to make sure I dont trip on on the metal threads that cap each riser as everyone else does for th same reason. I'm amazed the MTA could not have dealt with this problem ealier. If they dont hurry up and fix it somebody will get hurt if one of the risers gives way leading to a falling accident, if it hasnt happened already.

For what its worth the Sea Beach rehabilitation project to start in 2015 (long overdue) will cover that problem as the 7th Ave entrance is rebuilt and reopened for rider access to the platforms allowing for better pedestrian flow.

Edited by realizm

Has there ever been a proposal for a direct subway connection to Laguardia?

It seems odd... I mean unless the busses are ok.

Chicago built the Orange line in the late 90's, direct to Midway. Midway was nearly dead until the 90's, when WN (Southwest) came in and took 95% of the traffic.

I mean LGA is a pretty major airport. But the transit links seem iffy. 

Any opinion? Ramblings of an urban planner here.

It doesnt have to be long trains or quick headways. Maybe a shuttle?

Edited by rosskin92

Has there ever been a proposal for a direct subway connection to Laguardia?

It seems odd... I mean unless the busses are ok.

Chicago built the Orange line in the late 90's, direct to Midway. Midway was nearly dead until the 90's, when WN (Southwest) came in and took 95% of the traffic.

I mean LGA is a pretty major airport. But the transit links seem iffy. 

Any opinion? Ramblings of an urban planner here.

Yes.

In 1999 the MTA proposed an (N) train extension to La Guardia Airport. However Albany and local officials opposed the idea and refused to allocate funding for the project killing the MTA proposal. State Senator George Onorato and Assemblyman Denis Butler at a hearing on May 11th of that year if I recall correctly expressed grave opposition to the idea and vowed to stop the project from taking off the ground, despite the efforts of former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani to make it happen.

They succeeded.

Edited by realizm

Yes.

In 1999 the MTA proposed an (N) train extension to La Guardia Airport. However Albany and local officials opposed the idea and refused to allocate funding for the project killing the MTA proposal. State Senator George Onorato and Assemblyman Denis Butler at a hearing on May 11th of that year if I recall correctly expressed grave opposition to the idea and vowed to stop the project from taking off the ground, despite the efforts of former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani to make it happen.

They succeeded.

So how is the bus? Is it reasonable or slow? 

So how is the bus? Is it reasonable or slow?

We have the Q70 limited that goes to LaGuardia and to my knowledge I haven't heard too much complaints about it. However the Q33 bus is suffering from problems stemming from high passenger usage, frequent number of designated stops and traffic conditions along its route which results in delays and longer then usual travel times.

There are also a variety of other bus route that also head to the airport such as the M60, which many say is decent and reliable.

I am much more knowledged on subways then on bus talk so another may be better to elaborate on that.

Edited by realizm

Yes.

They succeeded.

hh NIMBYism

How come at 33 St on the (6) it doesn't say transfer is available to the M34 SBS?

The announcements for the (6) lines R142As aren't updated and likely won't be since the most of their R142As are being sent to flushing. Probably in the Future the 50 or 60 remaining R142As that don't get sent to the (7) will get their announcements updated. Same reason why flushings R62As aren't getting updated strip maps since they are getting swapped back to the (6) .

Edited by R62AR33

Was there a track fire on the (A)(C)(E) today? there was a burning smell Around Spring/Canal Street

Can't say if it was a fire but on the website it was noted that there was a police investigation at Spring Street.  But this was around 8 - 9 pm so I can't say again if this was related to whatever happened around your time.