SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Thanks for correcting me on the countdown-clock thing. I saw them on the Crosstown Line too, but I forgot to mention it.

The MTA doesn't seem to need that many CBTC trains on the (L), though, because they keep appearing on the (M). I see them basically every other day when I catch the (M) at either Woodhaven or Met Av.

Mileage. They equipped all of the 143s and some of the 160s to compliment full peak service with spares and a few more spares that will rotate among the BMT East. It's not that they don't need many. In fact they made sure they have more than enough.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know what is going on at the Grand Central shuttle platform? A construction wall has blocked access to the end of track 4 and beyond, and a permit attached to the wall says something about "excavation".

One Vanderbilt is currently working on their foundation, which is literally right behind that wall.

A few days ago, I was on a n/b (4) train and we pull into 161st street. Then, the conductor announces the skipped stops to burnside avenue, with the last one being 174th,(first blunder), just before burnside, she announces the train will be making all local stops afterwards. Then, at burnside, you can hear the ding! But no msg. So afterwards, we pull off and she announces once again, we r skipping all stops to bedford avenue(haha I died). I guess she meant to say it at burnside but didn't hear herself saying it, like how do u not hear ur voice announced. But it sounds like she must be a new conductor.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I swear I would've pulled the cord if I was on that train. Then, I'd tell the cop "I thought someone hijacked the train because they didn't say the train was gonna skip my stop."

Although I've heard the cord doesn't really work on the NTTs, so I don't know what good pulling the cord actually does on those trains.

I swear I would've pulled the cord if I was on that train. Then, I'd tell the cop "I thought someone hijacked the train because they didn't say the train was gonna skip my stop."

Although I've heard the cord doesn't really work on the NTTs, so I don't know what good pulling the cord actually does on those trains.

1)it only works inside the stations for people like you who'll do stuff like that.

2) are you outta your mind?

I'm pretty sure they work on NTT's, I believe its 500ft from the station they work. The only reason they have those installed is just in case the doors close and lock on someones clothes and then drag them to their death. Otherwise, there really no reason to pull them. If u pull it in a river crossing tunnel, it alerts the train op that the EM brake was pulled.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Mileage. They equipped all of the 143s and some of the 160s to compliment full peak service with spares and a few more spares that will rotate among the BMT East. It's not that they don't need many. In fact they made sure they have more than enough.

That makes sense, seeing as there are 272 CBTC cars, only 152-160 of which are needed on the (L) during the rush.

I swear I would've pulled the cord if I was on that train.

Thus causing more delays up and down the already congested (4) line. It could've been the T/O's mistake, too.

Better to just take a train back.

So apparently there isn't a via Broadway/West End Program on the (F) going downtown but they have it uptown? They have it via West end and Broadway local. Uptown F had this:

F JAMAICA-179 ST

F QUEENS BLVD EXP

F VIA WEST END/BWAY

In addition, the Broadway stops on the FIND didn't have the transfering lines.

So apparently there isn't a via Broadway/West End Program on the (F) going downtown but they have it uptown? They have it via West end and Broadway local. Uptown F had this:

F JAMAICA-179 ST

F QUEENS BLVD EXP

F VIA WEST END/BWAY

This what I hate, no transfer for Broadway (F) and 6 Av (Q).

F JAMAICA-179 ST

F QUEENS BLVD EXP

F VIA WEST END/BWAY

At Canal Street: "This is a Queens bound (F) local train. The next stop is: 14th St-Union Square."

Wrong. They are currently still being repaired at 207th Street, they just need a few components is all.

The crash happened 11 years ago. I don't imagine it takes 11 years to repair a train (but then, that's how the MTA works?!). It's probably never seeing revenue service again.

I did find this though: https://gallery.mailchimp.com/53077b4eb8363107e691b3757/files/April_2016_ERA_Bulletin.pdf

R-143s 8277-8280, which have been sidelined since a 2006 derailment at Rockaway Parkway, have physically been put back together as a 4-car unit (still located at 207th Street) but are in need of some component replacement to become operational.

This was last year, and it says nothing about revenue service.

Edited by agar io

I have no idea why everyone wants to bring back the (9). 103 St, 110 St, 116 St, and 137 St are all top 120 in ridership, and 125 St ridership is likely to increase as Columbia builds out its second campus, so running express on that stretch is really not recommended. Lots of college students living uptown take the (1) south to get to school.

Which is why if anything, I would look if at all possible into rebuilding 125 into where it could serve as a short-turn terminal for the (1) (possibly running as a reverse-peak express between 96 and 125)  It's a real shame it was never thought of to build 125 (and also possibly 116) as an express station when the original subway was built, even if Columbia was already around by then.  

It's how the MTA works. Because with that set out of service, there will always be another 4 car set in the yard that will be out of service.

Not necessarily. Actually it works out perfectly with the MTA. They had 212 cars before, which made 53 four-car sets, or 26 and a half eight-car trains. Getting rid of the 4-car set that was damaged allows the MTA to whittle the R143 fleet to exactly 26 eight-car trains.

The R179 delivery, on the other hand, will always result in one set that's out of service, given that there will be 65 four-car sets, making 32 and a half eight-car trains.

Not necessarily. They could always use that four car for an opto job on the M

It would only be used on weekends, though.