SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Little musing:

At Flatbush Av (2)(5) , the (5) terminates on the western track, Track 2, and when the (5) is running to Flatbush Av the (2) terminates on the eastern track, Track 3. This is made evident by the platform sign from the entrance nearest Brooklyn College.

But it doesn't say this on the signs at the entrances at Flatbush & Nostrand, like "Flatbush Avenue (2) For (5) use entrance across Flatbush Av". I had to catch the (5) today and entered the station from the (2) train platform, narrowly missing getting crushed by the slamming train doors by the time I headed around the U-shape platform.

Edited by agar io

Anybody know why R160 N train set 8938-8942, has like these metal rectangular things placed below the window? They were placed just below the windows, next to the emergency exit doors that everybody uses even tho ur not supposed to. Found this quite odd and I stared at them the entire journey and I noticed a lot of the R160 N/Q/W trains have either half/full sets of interior LED signs.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Anybody know why R160 N train set 8938-8942, has like these metal rectangular things placed below the window? They were placed just below the windows, next to the emergency exit doors that everybody uses even tho ur not supposed to. Found this quite odd and I stared at them the entire journey and I noticed a lot of the R160 N/Q/W trains have either half/full sets of interior LED signs.

That set has had those plates on the car ends for a long time now.  It has nothing to do with the LED displays--the module for those is inside the windows on the car ends.  I'm not sure what those plates are for though.

I walked through Willets Point a few days ago, and it was a ghost town. I saw no residential buildings (according to Wikipedia, Willets Point has a population of 10 people); there were simply a few auto repair shops and other industrial businesses.

Here are all the sources of ridership I could think of, in no particular order:

• Visitors to Citi Field
  • Visitors to Corona Park
  • People employed at Corona Yard
  • People employed at Casey Stengel Depot
  • Visitors to the USTA Tennis Center
  • Employees of the various businesses in the Iron Triangle

Yet, the (7) station has 2.12 million entries a year (putting it at 233 out of 425 on the rankings). I think that is a bit odd; do the points above really bring so many people to the station? Or is there some other source of ridership I'm not thinking about?

The Mets' total attendance in 2016 was 2.79 million - a lot of people take the train to get there. Add the park, and the US open (and other tennis events), and the few hundred people coming every day to get to work, and 2.12 million does not seem unreasonable.

There's only 350,000 missing riders left, then. Let's say the rest are for the park, Queens Museum, NY Hall of Science, and other events at the USTA Tennis Center. Also, the actual proportion of people going to these two sports venues can be higher than my conservative estimate.

Also, 2.1 million annual visitors to Willets Point isn't much ridership compared to other stations near stadiums. Yankee Stadium has 8.9 million every year, Barclays Center has 13.7 million at the former Atlantic-Pacific complex alone, and the two Penn Stations each have 27 million.

Right, I think your math checks out. Willets-Shea takes in incredible amounts of people at specific times, but it's by and large an empty station in a desolate part of town. Very few people walk along that stretch of Roosevelt, which really only links up the entrance to the park with the Iron Triangle (by and large closed) and the mall on the Flushing side of the bridge. 161-YS, on the other hand, is in a bustling part of the South Bronx with businesses and people, not to mention the constant traffic of the Court House. The same goes for Atlantic-Pacific, where the Barclays Center is really secondary to the hub and geographic status of the station.

Actually, the maintenance at Westchester has gone down as they have to take care of two different car fleets. Thus, (6) service has suffered quite a lot with the amount of breakdowns happening.

Westchester can't take care of anything, period. Most of the R142A's on the (7) are in worse shape then Jermones sets.

It is quite troubling to see the 142As and the 143s with lower MDBF numbers than cars built 25+ years prior. I know I've given Westchester the benefit of the doubt with car maintenance given the excessive demand on the (6) line, but if Corona can make such an improvement with the converts, it shouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that Westchester can make similar improvements to their fleet. It also says a lot when the 62As' MDBF have also dropped like a rock since moving from the (7). This, along with the consistently abysmal numbers on the 143s and sharp decline in performance on the 160s, needs to be investigated. We need to understand why cars that are about 15 years old, if not younger are performing so poorly.

Just got an overhead announcement on  (Q) at 57th Street that said "To be courteous to our fellow passengers we are awaiting the connection across the track" - is that something regular now? Never seen it done before.

They've been doing that for quite some time, mainly outside of rush hours. Conductors may not play an announcement specifying this as the reason, but this is one of the reasons why trains are held in the station with the holding lights on.

Edited by Lance

Just got an overhead announcement on (Q) at 57th Street that said "To be courteous to our fellow passengers we are awaiting the connection across the track" - is that something regular now? Never seen it done before.

It's common, happens sometimes as another train is approaching the station like the (B), (R) or boarding the (4) as the (6) arrives at Union Square. 

Edited by CH3348

It is quite troubling to see the 142As and the 143s with lower MDBF numbers than cars built 25+ years prior. I know I've given Westchester the benefit of the doubt with car maintenance given the excessive demand on the (6) line, but if Corona can make such an improvement with the converts, it shouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that Westchester can make similar improvements to their fleet. It also says a lot when the 62As' MDBF have also dropped like a rock since moving from the (7). This, along with the consistently abysmal numbers on the 143s and sharp decline in performance on the 160s, needs to be investigated. We need to understand why cars that are about 15 years old, if not younger are performing so poorly.

They count CBTC failures with the 143 MDBF, that's why its so low. 

They've been doing that for quite some time, mainly outside of rush hours. Conductors may not play an announcement specifying this as the reason, but this is one of the reasons why trains are held in the station with the holding lights on.

I give this as another reason why the service quality has declined. The schedule has stated for over a decade that an (N) takes about 40 minutes minimum to travel between Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue and Canal Street. It’s a bit slower in the rush direction, amounting to an additional 3 minutes scheduled (43 minutes). In practice, however, the train almost never makes that good of a run. I blame the courtesy holds at 59 Street and the subsequent holds for the (D) at 40 Street as a result of the first delay. The trips take closer to 50 minutes now. In the northbound direction, this happens despite the Sea Beach express run.

I give this as another reason why the service quality has declined. The schedule has stated for over a decade that an (N) takes about 40 minutes minimum to travel between Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue and Canal Street. It’s a bit slower in the rush direction, amounting to an additional 3 minutes scheduled (43 minutes). In practice, however, the train almost never makes that good of a run. I blame the courtesy holds at 59 Street and the subsequent holds for the (D) at 40 Street as a result of the first delay. The trips take closer to 50 minutes now. In the northbound direction, this happens despite the Sea Beach express run.

I've even been on (N) trains where they hold because the train is running too hot and then miss their slot at 36th Street and hold for the (D) to cross in front.

It's common, happens sometimes as another train is approaching the station like the (B), (R) or boarding the (4) as the (6) arrives at Union Square. 

The (M) westbound at Queens Plaza probably has it too. Even if an (E) train comes in after the (M), the (M) will still be held. I think it's for a connection rather than express-priority only because there is a direct cross-platform transfer at Queens Plaza compared to the step-off-and-wait-for-the-next-train situation at 5 Av/53 St.

I wish they would do this on the <7>, the <7> conductors almost always love to close the doors right as the (N)/(W) pulls up and they do it purposely. They will see them pull up stop and right before they open the doors *ding-dong They could give less about courtesy.

The (M) westbound at Queens Plaza probably has it too. Even if an (E) train comes in after the (M), the (M) will still be held. I think it's for a connection rather than express-priority only because there is a direct cross-platform transfer at Queens Plaza compared to the step-off-and-wait-for-the-next-train situation at 5 Av/53 St.

If that happens during the rush, its probably to avoid plugging up the QBL express since the (E)(F) run more frequently than the (M)(R), and any slight delay on the express causes a ripple effect