SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever happened to the light blue seats on the R62a's? I've seen less and less of them.

Good. They should stick with the original scheme instead of mixing up the generations. Come to think of it, I was on an R68A (B) train the other day & it had a blue triplet.... (think it was 5060)

21st Van Alst on the (G) could sure use a make over. I know some people will be mad at me but I alway thought part of Chambers Street on the (J) should be walled up with only two platforms open being the Lower Manhattan platform and rehab the center platform and wallup the Brooklyn/Queens platform and the side platform. This would mean that there will be three tracks open just in case the (M) was rerouted there and you would have a much smaller Chambers Street to work with. Of course the tracks would have to be reconfigure but that shouldn't be the hard part.

I have a question about Canal St on the Nassau Line. The Southbound Tracks & platform are being used for service in both directions, and the northbound tracks are decommissioned or whatever, but on the street level there is no evidence of an entrance to the northbound platform, where was the entrance?

According to Joseph Brennan, this station had three access points - two of which have been removed from service.

The west platform had access up to street entrances in buildings on both sides of Canal St, while the east platform had an underpass to a third building on the northeast corner of Canal St.

However, after doing a bit of research I am certain there is one more. Take a look at these photos, courtesy of the Museum of the City of New York (captions are mine):

MNY227868.jpg
(Intermediate landing; looking west; standing over northbound local track; northbound express/stub track beyond that wall; Chambers Street to the left, Bowery to the right)

MNY227864.jpg
(Same place as previous photo; looking southwest; end of platform and connection to west platform is visible in the distance)

MNY227865.jpg
(Stairway down to platform; facing southeast; facing northbound local track)

MNY227842.jpg
(East platform; facing north; northbound express track shown; nearest stairway leads up to street, second nearest goes down to Brooklyn-bound platform of the Broadway station - aka Canal Street, lower level)

These photos reveal a similar setup that currently exists on the west platform: two stairways up to an intermediate landing, followed by stairways up to the fare control and to street level. trainluvr uploaded a clip of this station back in 1994, and the stairway in the last photo is visible at the 07:58 mark. A fairly recent video from Turtle, taken when in-service trains were passing through the abandoned station, shows both stairways intact - albeit altered to restrict access. Its close proximity to the end of the platform is an indication that it leads to the southeast corner of Centre and Canal Streets. While this says nothing about the exact location of the entrance, it is possible it was right across the street from where the currently-open entrance is.

Edited by Gong Gahou

According to Joseph Brennan, this station had three access points - two of which have been removed from service.

However, after doing a bit of research I am certain there is one more. Take a look at these photos, courtesy of the Museum of the City of New York (captions are mine):

MNY227868.jpg

(Intermediate landing; looking west; standing over northbound local track; northbound express/stub track beyond that wall; Chambers Street to the left, Bowery to the right)

MNY227864.jpg

(Same place as previous photo; looking southwest; end of platform and connection to west platform is visible in the distance)

MNY227865.jpg

(Stairway down to platform; facing southeast; facing northbound local track)

MNY227842.jpg

(East platform; facing north; northbound express track shown; nearest stairway leads up to street, second nearest goes down to Brooklyn-bound platform of the Broadway station - aka Canal Street, lower level)

These photos reveal a similar setup that currently exists on the west platform: two stairways up to an intermediate landing, followed by stairways up to the fare control and to street level. trainluvr uploaded a clip of this station back in 1994, and the stairway in the last photois visible at the 07:58 mark. A fairly recent video from Turtle, taken when in-service trains were passing through the abandoned station, shows both stairways intact - albeit altered to restrict access. Its close proximity to the end of the platform is an indication that it leads to the southeast corner of Centre and Canal Streets. While this says nothing about the exact location of the entrance, it is possible it was right across the street from where the currently-open entrance is.

Thanks for the info! I used Canal Street on the (J)(brownM)(Z) a lot back in the late '90s and it always got on my nerves that the only exit from the Nassau Line platform was that cramped stairway on the west side of Centre Street- practically a chokepoint.  I've been searching for info on the east exits and extra west entrance for years, but never found anything.  All I know is that the extra passages were closed off sometime before 1996, but after 1992.

Why can't the (4) run express to Brooklyn Bridge instead of running local? Or, why not send it to Bowling Green if the TA is just doing work on the Joralemon Tubes.

It does run to Bowling Green on weekends when they are only working on the tubes.

(4) trains run local when they terminate at Brooklyn Bridge because it is much easier to merge (4) and  (6) trains on the Lex, when they all follow the same route from 125 Street, through the loop and back up to 125 Street, than it is to attempt to merge  (4) trains at Brooklyn Bridge southbound and then switch them northbound.

They could make (5) run Express to Bowling Green instead of 42 St-Grand Central, and (4)(6) Local 125 St and Brooklyn Bridge.

That is not an option because when the  (4) operates to Brooklyn Bridge, the trackage south is closed and when the  (4) operates to Bowling Green, trying to fit in the  (5) and fumigate both services is virtually impossible. 

Edited by Around the Horn

It does run to Bowling Green on weekends when they are only working on the tubes.

(4) trains run local when they terminate at Brooklyn Bridge because it is much easier to merge (4) and  (6) trains on the Lex, when they all follow the same route from 125 Street, through the loop and back up to 125 Street, than it is to attempt to merge  (4) trains at Brooklyn Bridge southbound and then switch them northbound.

The downtown is much easier this weekend since every other (4) is relaying at 3rd Avenue-138th Street (spreads out the merging.) On the flip side, if they're fumigating those (4) trains at 125th uptown, that might be a small problem. Last week they were running most of the short (4) trains in service all the way to 3rd Avenue, but it seems to vary by GO.

I hope they don't continue that 16 minute Bronx (4) supplement going forward though.

I heard sometime in April.

It's always around the third week of April. Last year it was on the 18th. The year before, the 20th. I don't know why 2014 was an outlier, but they released in March that year.

So, I'm guessing third Monday of each April, in which case this year it should be on the 17th. Unless the data comes in March like in 2014.

On the MTA Neighborhood Maps website (http://web.mta.info/maps/neighborhood_maps.htm), there's no map for Jackson Heights.

Seems like a pretty strange omission to me, especially as Roosevelt Av-74 St even has its own WalkNYC map.

Does anyone know why?

Does anyone know where any WalkNYC maps can be found online?