SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if im not mistaken yes but mostly i responded in agreement and people clamoring for this as a solution to stop 12-9's

Stopping 12-9s? How is a little black marker on the platform showing where the door is gonna line up at gonna stop 12-9s? I'm not talking about platform screen doors bro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Random thought: While going home, car 9023 has the screeching brakes when approaching the station

No dynamic braking...more than likely a dead motor

Funny thing is I'm on that car now lol. Even the HVAC isn't working.

Something definitely wrong with this car.

Stopping 12-9s? How is a little black marker on the platform showing where the door is gonna line up at gonna stop 12-9s? I'm not talking about platform screen doors bro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh my bad i see what you are talking about something like this 

728px-BART-Millbrae-train-4420.jpg

and at GCT on the (4)(5) and the (6) 

It would be nice if they brought in a few more in-system transfers that would be useful:

• Park Place and City Hall: the platforms are less than 100 feet apart. The (2) and (3) can be used as a sort of quasi-crosstown line in Lower Manhattan.
  • Prince Street and Broadway–Lafayette Street: the platforms are less than 100 feet apart.
  • Bowery and Grand Street: the platforms are about 300 feet apart.
  • 57 Street–7 Avenue and 7 Avenue: the platforms are about 300 feet apart.
  • Lexington Avenue/63 Street and 59 Street: the platforms are about 550 feet apart.
  • Court Square–23 Street and Court Square ( (7)): the northern end of the (7) platforms actually cover the northern side of the 44 Drive sidewalk, so they should be connected at that end to eliminate the 2000-feet detour for the (E)(M)<7> transfer. The (7) already has a transfer at 74 Street–Broadway.
  • Queensboro Plaza and Queens Plaza: the platforms are about 700 feet apart.
  • Fulton Street and Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center: the (G) platforms are about 700 feet from the (B)(Q) platform.
  • Junius Street and Livonia Avenue

I believe most of them have a sizable market.

By all means, having Park Place and City Hall become an in-system transfer would be good.  It also would mean there would be a transfer between the (R) ( (N) late nights) and (A) and (C) at Chambers.

Prince and Broadway-Lafayette makes sense, especially since there would be a second transfer point between the Broadway and 6th Avenue Lines (and an additional transfer between the Broadway Lines and (6) as well).  

Bowery and Grand Streets I'm not as sure about given how little-used Bowery is.

7th Avenue-53rd and 57th Street-7th Avenue: Not sure how easy this transfer could be done.

59th-60th and 63rd Street on Lexington: Not sure if this one could be done easily even though it would be three blocks.

Court Square:  Interesting to know on where to put a new transfer

Queensboro and Queens Plaza: LONG overdue and should have been done years ago.

Fulton Street and Atlantic Avenue-Barclays: This might work better as an OOS transfer. 

Junius Street and Livonia Avenue: Another long overdue transfer.

Just because trains were running in service underground, it does not mean outside areas were just left to freeze over and expected automatically to function correctly once the snow stopped.  They ran outside without passengers so in case of mechanical problem they wouldn't be stuck in between stations.  Trains wouldn't stall because of door trouble because when doors open people stomp their shoes in the doorways.  This forms ice and train doors can't close. Signals freeze up and the t/o may have to step on frozen stop arms.  Finally, which so many conveniently forget, back in 2010 an A train lost power with passengers on it between Howard Beach & Rockaway Blvd.  No heat, passengers were out there all night.  The situation made radio, TV and the newspapers.  Transit looked bad.  A bunch of the passengers sued and won.  Therefore NYCT will never allow a train to become snowbound ever again.  Outdoor service will be suspended before it can come down to that.

Right on the (A) train incident, though in that case in 2010, the (A) should NEVER have been running outdoors in the first place by the time that happened.  I would have shut down the open cuts and areas like the Rockaway Branch at the first sign of trouble, well ahead of those trains getting stuck like that (as I remember, an (N) also got stuck at 8th Avenue forever).  Apparently, someone at the (MTA) from what I remember ordered an (A) operator to continue outside even though it was reported trains were struggling at that point (I would ordered that service suspended immediately then citing safety reasons).

The real problem was how that 2010 storm was forecast, when it was, and the fact it was during Christmas weekend that caused a situation where by the time the snow totals were first upped (after it had looked like it would be nothing at first), it was Christmas Eve night and many of those who normally would have been following such were likely having to deal with Midnight Mass and/or family members who would have frowned on them leaving to go in even for an emergency such as what happened.  Add to that a lack of available media due to the Christmas Holiday (something that would be changed considerably a year later) when that storm exploded and that created a "perfect storm" (no pun intended) of circumstances that left the (MTA) ill-prepared to handle that storm.  

Well if i am not mistaken when that (A) train was stuck it happened durning the Walder era

That may have been, but the much larger problem was the fact the (MTA) was ill-prepared to handle the 2010 blizzard due to mainly WHEN the snow totals started being upped:

When decisions had to be made on Thursday (Dec. 23) due to Friday being Christmas Eve, that storm was looked as as nuisance with "maybe 1-3 inches possible."  That still was the forecast when the decisions would normally have been made.

It was only Christmas Eve night, well after decisions were or would have had to have been made for the weekend when things changed.  Then the forecast suddenly became 6-10" but many of the people who normally would have been in a position to do something about it were in all likelihood dealing with family who would have in many cases frowning on having to deal with anything work-related, even in an emergency and especially also with religious types as that was around Midnight Mass.

That storm then exploded Christmas Day, when many local stations didn't do newscasts at all as they didn't want to have people come in until after most Christmas activities had occurred, with most stations only doing an 11:00 PM newscast because that is traditionally a very slow news day (as noted in another post, in the case of Philadelphia WCAU-TV meteoroligist Glenn "Hurricane" Schwartz came in on his own and did a series of web-only updates on Christmas Day).   With many not able to get away from family on Christmas Day and/or reluctant to call in people that day knowing some would have to deal with types who would frown on going into work and not having access to normal media as the storm exploded, that led to all of the problems with the 2010 blizzard that by the times things started to get back to normal it was too late.  As also noted, much of this was changed a year later to prevent a repeat.