SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Grand Concourse Line? Brighton Line ( (B) > (Q))? West End Line?

Right now people take West End Line (D)(N)(J)(Z) or Brighton (Q) to the (J)(Z) directly.

Or:

if you're north of 161st, you can take the  (4) to Brooklyn Bridge. If you're south of there, you can take the  (A)(C) to Fulton.

The (J) does operate all times to Broad St now, so this works. I'd like to see an MTA study on this though.

Edited by agar io

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To take out that three legged transfer from the IRT lines to West End or from the (J)(Z) to lower Brooklyn and West End, we need to restore some type of rush hour extension to Bay Parkway using either the (J) or (Z). Ridership is high on West End, and some people to/from Nassau would like a one seat ride.

Me too. The problem is that it's just very long, like at Court Sq and at Times Sq-PABT.

----

Anyway, why is (F)(G) service from Jay St/Hoyt St,, respectively, to Church Av shut down during the storm? There are two elevated stations along the eight-stop stretch, and the (1) seems to be moving along just fine with the shut down at 125 St.

The stretch on the one is short and on an el structure while at smith and 4th, its on a viaduct. More signals and switches to freeze along with accumulation

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

The stretch on the one is short and on an el structure while at smith and 4th, its on a viaduct. More signals and switches to freeze along with accumulation

Adding to that, the viaduct acts like a narrow, but long bucket to hold all the snow in place.

how were they turning trains at Bergen Street for the (F) and (G) trains i know the F terminated at Jay Street

There's a switch just south of Bergen st on both levels. Iirc, trains would pull into bergen, discharge, head south, switch ends and cross the switch to the N/B to the N/B platform

There's a switch just south of Bergen st on both levels. Iirc, trains would pull into bergen, discharge, head south, switch ends and cross the switch to the N/B to the N/B platform

cause from what i saw on tape they turned on upper level 

Thats not what happened. They discharged (F) Trains at Jay Street and ran them Not In Service to CI where crews were changed. All of the trains that terminated at an underground station instead of it's usual terminal did not switch ends/relayed. Same with the (D)(N)(Q) Trains that got turned at an underground station instead of CI. The whole underground only service is mainly to keep passengers from being trapped in the outdoor stations on the trains for safety purposes, to keep ice/snow off the rails and to avoid a repeat of the 2010 incident. The MTA twitter page itself even confirmed that all of the lines that terminated at an underground station instead of it's usual terminal ran not in service to its outdoor terminal where crews were changed. This was done last year during Winterstorm Juno as well.

Thats not what happened. They discharged (F) Trains at Jay Street and ran them Not In Service to CI where crews were changed. All of the trains that terminated at an underground station instead of it's usual terminal did not switch ends/relayed. Same with the (D)(N)(Q) Trains that got turned at an underground station instead of CI. The whole underground only service is mainly to keep passengers from being trapped in the outdoor stations on the trains for safety purposes, to keep ice/snow off the rails and to avoid a repeat of the 2010 incident. The MTA twitter page itself even confirmed that all of the lines that terminated at an underground station instead of it's usual terminal ran not in service to its outdoor terminal where crews were changed. This was done last year during Winterstorm Juno as well.

i was talking about the G. Not the F.

Edited by Far Rock Depot

Just because trains were running in service underground, it does not mean outside areas were just left to freeze over and expected automatically to function correctly once the snow stopped.  They ran outside without passengers so in case of mechanical problem they wouldn't be stuck in between stations.  Trains wouldn't stall because of door trouble because when doors open people stomp their shoes in the doorways.  This forms ice and train doors can't close. Signals freeze up and the t/o may have to step on frozen stop arms.  Finally, which so many conveniently forget, back in 2010 an A train lost power with passengers on it between Howard Beach & Rockaway Blvd.  No heat, passengers were out there all night.  The situation made radio, TV and the newspapers.  Transit looked bad.  A bunch of the passengers sued and won.  Therefore NYCT will never allow a train to become snowbound ever again.  Outdoor service will be suspended before it can come down to that.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

Wait what happened in 2010?

And do they make simulated stops in the outdoors or do they just go straight to their terminals

... back in 2010 an A train lost power with passengers on it between Howard Beach & Rockaway Blvd.  No heat, passengers were out there all night.  The situation made radio, TV and the newspapers.  Transit looked bad.  A bunch of the passengers sued and won. 

He literally just answered your first question. As for the second, they run non-stop.

So I saw this posted on SubChat by a reputable source:

AWOL/MIA Report for 2017-03-15 at Union Sq - 14 St from 07:00 to 10:00
For L lines in uptown direction
Number Trains per master schedule: 49; Number Trains per Day of schedule: 45; Number of Trains Arrived: 15; Number of Trains Started: 21
Arrival Pct: 33.3333; Start Pct: 46.6667
Trains that did not start (AWOL): 
0L 0632+ RPY/8AV
0L 0644 RPY/8AV
0L 0652+ RPY/8AV
0L 0656+ RPY/8AV
0L 0704+ RPY/8AV
0L 0708+ RPY/8AV
0L 0716+ RPY/8AV
0L 0720+ RPY/8AV
0L 0728+ RPY/8AV
0L 0733+ 105/8AV
0L 0757+ 105/8AV
0L 0803+ RPY/8AV
0L 0810+ RPY/8AV
0L 0818 MYR/8AV
0L 0830 MYR/8AV
0L 0840 RPY/8AV
0L 0842 MYR/8AV
0L 0856 RPY/8AV
0L 0904+ MYR/8AV
0L 0908 RPY/8AV
0L 0912 RPY/8AV
0L 0916+ MYR/8AV
0L 0916 RPY/8AV
0L 0920 RPY/8AV

What happened that made 2/3rds of scheduled (L) trains not show up?

Edited by Around the Horn