SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question about the :B:

I know it was a 6 Avenue Local and it ran local along 4 Avenue in Brooklyn back in the early days and the strip maps of the R40/42s reflect it. Just wondered during what times that it did run local along 4 Avenue...

I know it was a 6 Avenue Local and it ran local along 4 Avenue in Brooklyn back in the early days and the strip maps of the R40/42s reflect it. Just wondered during what times that it did run local along 4 Avenue...

It still ran Express on 6th Avenue during the Rush Hours. As for the 4th Avenue Local I believe it was during the late evenings.

The  :B: ran as a 6th Avenue express only during rush hours when the trains ran to/from 168 Street. At all other times, the trains ran local to/from 57 Street. It wouldn't be until 1988 when the (B) would run express along 6th Avenue at all times of operation. In regards to 4th Avenue, trains ran local during evening (including weekends) and overnight hours, from 1968 to 1977 when overnight   :B:  service was cut back to the West End shuttle.

Edited by Lance
grammar...

What are your opinions of having the (B) run 24/7 except late nights?

I'm not trying to be rude at all with this post, but did you read what you just typed? If it runs 24 hours then it is running during late nights.

As far as my opinion, it's not needed. The C, D, and Q handle the parts that the Bible supplement fine when it isn't running.

I'm not trying to be rude at all with this post, but did you read what you just typed? If it runs 24 hours then it is running during late nights.

As far as my opinion, it's not needed. The C, D, and Q handle the parts that the Bible supplement fine when it isn't running.

Bible supplement ?!

Have the new countdown clocks been installed at any of the B division outdoor stations?

Don't know if they're active yet, but some of the West End line stations have them (at least 18th Avenue has them)

Speaking of which, how accurate are these countdown clocks, and does anyone have a list of stations that currently have these (specifically if any are in the Bronx)?

Bible supplement ?!

OH my goodness! Lmao here I am "preaching" about proofreading and I'm not even practicing what I "preach". I'm using my table and the autocorrect on this damn thing is so strong. When I typed "C" in my last statement by itself it finished the word with "Chinese" hahaha.I kept deleting words, I didn't even notice the "B" part.

You got me!

OH my goodness! Lmao here I am "preaching" about proofreading and I'm not even practicing what I "preach". I'm using my table and the autocorrect on this damn thing is so strong. When I typed "C" in my last statement by itself it finished the word with "Chinese" hahaha.I kept deleting words, I didn't even notice the "B" part.

You got me!

Very interesting way of using a table.

Speaking of which, how accurate are these countdown clocks, and does anyone have a list of stations that currently have these (specifically if any are in the Bronx)?

I can't speak about the ones in Brooklyn that just went online, but the Broadway Line ones are decent--I have noticed though that like the IRT countdown clocks, sometimes the wait time stays at 3 min for some time, then jumps down to 1.  Part of that is the station also, since I frequent Herald and Times Squares.

Much of Central Park West has them, but they're not online ATM.

Since we're on the subject of the countdown clocks and the PA/CIS setups across the system, I thought this would be interesting.

Apparently, they have been testing new Carolyn Hopkins slice and dice prerecorded service change announcements. I'm sure that when everything is correct, they'll prove to be a useful way to convey this vital information. Of course, when that information is wrong, it's really useless. Though sometimes, it's hilarious just how wrong it can be at times. Take a look...

Let's take a list of what's wrong here, shall we:
1) Broadway-East New York - For starters, that hasn't been the official name since 2003. Secondly, Broadway-East New York has only referred to the Fulton St platforms. The Jamaica platforms have been called Broadway Junction and previously Broadway-Eastern Pkwy.
2) Token booths - Again, we haven't used tokens in nearly 15 years. Can we at least try to remain current?
3) The (K) train - Speaking of current, really? There are no (K) trains running between Jamaica Center and Broadway Junction? That's funny because last I checked, it's been 40 years since the (K) train has run on the Jamaica line.

Yes, I'm aware these are likely a combination of simple mistakes and the consistently bad proofreading work we've come to expect from the MTA. It doesn't make it any less funny. On a side note, "Parsons-Jamaica Center" sounds weird to me.

Since we're on the subject of the countdown clocks and the PA/CIS setups across the system, I thought this would be interesting.

Apparently, they have been testing new Carolyn Hopkins slice and dice prerecorded service change announcements. I'm sure that when everything is correct, they'll prove to be a useful way to convey this vital information. Of course, when that information is wrong, it's really useless. Though sometimes, it's hilarious just how wrong it can be at times. Take a look...

Let's take a list of what's wrong here, shall we:
1) Broadway-East New York - For starters, that hasn't been the official name since 2003. Secondly, Broadway-East New York has only referred to the Fulton St platforms. The Jamaica platforms have been called Broadway Junction and previously Broadway-Eastern Pkwy.
2) Token booths - Again, we haven't used tokens in nearly 15 years. Can we at least try to remain current?
3) The (K) train - Speaking of current, really? There are no (K) trains running between Jamaica Center and Broadway Junction? That's funny because last I checked, it's been 40 years since the (K) train has run on the Jamaica line.

Yes, I'm aware these are likely a combination of simple mistakes and the consistently bad proofreading work we've come to expect from the MTA. It doesn't make it any less funny. On a side note, "Parsons-Jamaica Center" sounds weird to me.

I knew this was going to wind up on here eventually...

I saw this on Facebook when it first happened.

I thought I heard similar announcements along the Brighton when Q trains were express in one direction.  It's hilarious how outdated many of these announcements are--even if most of them were recorded in the late '90s-early 2000s, there's no excuse for them having a K train announcement.

Edit: I don't mind Hopkins' voice, but they really need to resplice the clips to get rid of the long pauses (as it's done on the IRT).

Edited by Bosco

A similar announcement plays at 71st Av when an (M) or (R) pulls in

"This is the last stop on the (M) train. All passengers must leave the train"

"This is the last stop on the (R) train. All passengers must leave the train"

I hear that all of the time. It continues with:

"Thank you for riding with MTA New York City Transit."

Actually, this (K) thing has been going around longer then you think. About 6 years ago I was waiting for the (L) at Bedford Avenue, and something happened on the (J) that said on the announcements: "...gentlemen, there is no K train service between *don't remember* and Parsons-Jamaiava Center. There are delays in (K) train service."

I think it's because the way how they set up those programs to play was by using the old Jamaica service pattern, which was mainly the (K). That or they just mistyped (K) instead of (J).