SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The (N) train to Coney Island from Astoria now longer has the "Broadway/4 Av Exp" scroll sign, it's back to being abbreviated.

On the (N) to Coney Island right now... (9193)

The sign most definitely scrolled.

Some R160s from Astoria do have the non-scrolling version. I've seen a few at Lex Av and QBP weeks ago. Edited by ShadeJay

When the station announcements say "there is an express train one station away" does that mean one local station or one express station?

One Local Station

I can confirm that. At Jackson Heights–Roosevelt Avenue, when such an announcement is made, the express train usually comes around 2 minutes later.

I actually timed it out one week and averaged it at 46 st. Not sure if these are remotely helpful to anyone but meh - here ya go. These were times until the doors closed. 

• 2 Stations away: 3min 45 sec
  • 1 Station away: 2 min 25 sec
  • Now Arriving: 1 min 5 sec

Has anyone else noticed that the fantastic track map called "472 Stations, 850 Miles" has disappeared? Anyone know how to find it? The NYCSubway ones are both less up to date and more annoying since you have to choose a specific file...

It is not there anymore. However, thankfully, someone saved on the web archive here. https://web.archive.org/web/20160304065818/https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2541531/469stations-846miles.pdf

This is an older version prior to SAS Phase 1, the dump track change at 36-38th Street Yard and prior to the Dyre Avenue Line changes.

Why doesn't the (A) get assigned more R32s for rush hour, im sure putting R46's on the (C) wouldn't hurt. The A line is less delayed using equipment with more doors.

And the R160's on the (C) are looking worse than Jamaica's R160's. Starting to believe East New York yard is just as good as Corona yard.

The (N) train to Coney Island from Astoria now longer has the "Broadway/4 Av Exp" scroll sign, it's back to being abbreviated. 

They have different scroll signs for the (N) Train so for all we know that set could've used a different one.

The programs are being updated to remove the scrolling effect from the signs. As always, it's a slow process.

Most of the LED countdown clocks they installed on B divison are useless now...a waste of money.

The older ones from 1999 or so are probably at the end of their expected lives to be useful. Of course, that does not apply to the newer ones installed in the past few years or so. And naturally, there are several examples where the WiFi countdown LCDs have been installed near the newer RGB LED displays for some strange reason, which is a complete waste of resources. The most egregious example of this that I've seen is at Cortlandt St, which now has the RGB signs (installed in 2010 around when the station reopened) and the LCD displays  within five feet of each other. I can understand ordering the LCDs over the RGB LED displays, especially in terms of advertising potential, but I feel these screens should be prioritized to stations that have absolutely no displays at all and then to replace the millennial displays.

Why doesn't the (A) get assigned more R32s for rush hour, im sure putting R46's on the (C) wouldn't hurt. The A line is less delayed using equipment with more doors.

The lack of additional 32s on the (A) is due to the high spare factor required for such an old car class and because they simply aren't available. Half of the fleet of 32s is either on the (J) line or sits in the East New York yard. The other half is required to make service on the (C). As for your second question, the train length must be consistent as it pertains to a line. You can't have some 480 foot trains interspersed with full-length (600-ft) trains. It creates confusion and thus delays service.

The older ones from 1999 or so are probably at the end of their expected lives to be useful. Of course, that does not apply to the newer ones installed in the past few years or so. And naturally, there are several examples where the WiFi countdown LCDs have been installed near the newer RGB LED displays for some strange reason, which is a complete waste of resources. The most egregious example of this that I've seen is at Cortlandt St, which now has the RGB signs (installed in 2010 around when the station reopened) and the LCD displays  within five feet of each other. I can understand ordering the LCDs over the RGB LED displays, especially in terms of advertising potential, but I feel these screens should be prioritized to stations that have absolutely no displays at all and then to replace the millennial displays.

In 34 St-Herald Square, a new clock was installed on the uptown platform. It just so happened that the existing display was three feet away, and the existing display covered one face of the new display.

On the downtown platform of Lex Av-63 St, the MTA literally installed not one, but two clocks two feet away from the pillars. And yes, the clocks faced the pillars. 

I noticed that the IRT has a lot of stuff going on in terms of service changes.

A big PITA when I need to go to Queens on the (7), but then find out that the (4) is running local, the (7) is not running to Manhattan, and there are miscellaneous construction slowdowns on the QBL.

Who knows? One would think that with it being <current year>, they'd be able to update the software remotely like literally every company on Earth. You'd also think they'd at least test out the updates before rolling them out to iron out the kinks. Of course, this is the MTA we're dealing with and they're stick in the Old Stone Age.

In 34 St-Herald Square, a new clock was installed on the uptown platform. It just so happened that the existing display was three feet away, and the existing display covered one face of the new display.

On the downtown platform of Lex Av-63 St, the MTA literally installed not one, but two clocks two feet away from the pillars. And yes, the clocks faced the pillars.

This is the quality you get when nobody is held accountable and punishment never happens for blunders.

Cool random fact; Atlantic and Nassau were named after factories located right next to them. I think these are the only two stations that were named after factories, correct me if I'm wrong.

Tottenville has been the southern terminus of the Staten Island Railway since the railway was extended to the neighborhood on June 2, 1860, and today the two southernmost stations along this railway are generally regarded as part of the community; besides the terminal station which bears the neighborhood's name (which is the southernmost railway station in New York state), the other being Arthur Kill station, which opened on January 21, 2017. However, before the opening of Arthur Kill, there were two other stations which were Atlantic (named after the defunct Atlantic Terra Cotta Co. factory nearby) and Nassau (referring to Nassau Smelting and Refining, the original name of the factory later taken over by Lucent Technologies), which closed on the same day that Arthur Kill was opened, as Arthur Kill was a replacement station for the both of them. Atlantic and Nassau stations are now closed and will be demolished sometime in the future.

At Rector St, the (R)(W) uptown entrance is on one side of Trinity Pl and the (1) uptown and downtown entrance is on the other side. They're literally right across the street from each other.

I suppose that these entrances are definitely the closest between two unconnected stations in the entire system, a mere 30 ft. Quick question, though - why is there no downtown entrance to the (R) at that location? Is it because of the proximity of the (1)?

Edited by agar io

At Rector St, the (R)(W) uptown entrance is on one side of Trinity Pl and the (1) uptown and downtown entrance is on the other side. They're literally right across the street from each other.

I suppose that these entrances are definitely the closest between two unconnected stations in the entire system, a mere 30 ft. Quick question, though - why is there no downtown entrance to the (R) at that location? Is it because of the proximity of the (1)?

Those are the secondary entrances at Edgar Street, right? The downtown (R) has an exit slightly north of there, but no entrance (presumably because the (1) and other exits work better, and also perhaps because of some logistics relating to the walled-off platform section...