SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CenSin said:

It helps a lot if you’re very handsome. (I know that came out narcissistic, but it’s demonstrably true.)

Physical attraction level (x) =/= authority level (y) =/= IQ (z), rather, y < z. So, in other words, since the majority of society vehemently despises mathematical reasoning, outperforms all other attributes. The ego (y), not so much.

3 hours ago, CenSin said:

It helps a lot if you’re very handsome. (I know that came out narcissistic, but it’s demonstrably true.)

Lmao!

--

Noticed that 138th-GC finally got new pillar signs, unfortunately. Those were vintage late-70s/early-80s porcelain pieces. Luckily (or unluckily) the massive platform signs covering the Mott Haven readings from the same era are still up.

Edited by MHV9218

39 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I wonder if the R188s on the (7) will receive the treatment the 42 St Shuttle has with the poles and floor mats. 

Those upgrades were signed off and approved for R160’s and R62A’s only for some reason.

5 hours ago, Lance said:

If they ever remove the Standard signs from 138 Street, they'll likely have to replace the old Mott Haven Av mosaics as the sign supports were probably drilled into the old tiles.

If they do, they should do what they did at Briarwood. Keep the Mott Haven mosaics up, and put in some IND-style black tiles with white text reading "138 Street" below the Mott Haven signs.

Edited by P3F

6 hours ago, Lance said:

If they ever remove the Standard signs from 138 Street, they'll likely have to replace the old Mott Haven Av mosaics as the sign supports were probably drilled into the old tiles.

1 hour ago, P3F said:

If they do, they should do what they did at Briarwood. Keep the Mott Haven mosaics up, and put in some IND-style black tiles with white text reading "138 Street" below the Mott Haven signs. 

If they were to restore the mosaics, couldn't they rename the stop as 138th Street - Mott Haven? It would eliminate some of the overlap in station names in the South Bronx (we have two Third Avenue stops and two Grand Concourse stops in different places).

A (B) caught up with my (Q) at Church Avenue. We close down and leave the station first. At Parkside Avenue, the conductor tells us that we're being held for train traffic ahead. I hear the (B) rumbling by behind the tunnel wall. Two minutes later, we close down and pull out of the station.

I looked out the window and there was that (B) dwelling on the express track, with passengers dumbfounded. My mouth was also agape. What did we all wait 2 minutes for?

55 minutes ago, CenSin said:

A (B) caught up with my (Q) at Church Avenue. We close down and leave the station first. At Parkside Avenue, the conductor tells us that we're being held for train traffic ahead. I hear the (B) rumbling by behind the tunnel wall. Two minutes later, we close down and pull out of the station.

I looked out the window and there was that (B) dwelling on the express track, with passengers dumbfounded. My mouth was also agape. What did we all wait 2 minutes for?

That happens A LOT! smh. 

There's this bootlegger that frequently uses the (D) in The Bronx to sell his stuff. He's an elderly looking man who just rambles on as mostly everyone ignores him. On one occasion, he boards the train as usual and begins his usual shtick, trying to convince anyone who will listen to buy his DVDs. At the next stop, a second bootlegger enters the train, also selling DVDs. This other bootlegger is much more charismatic and energetic than the elderly man, and is actually able to convince some on the train to buy his stuff. The first bootlegger stands behind him in horror with a crushed, defeated look on his face as his rival claimed his territory right in front of him. Truly the most heartbreaking thing I've ever seen on the subway.

Random thought... perhaps manhattan and Jamaica  bound (J) trains should Read “BWAY-BKLYN LOCAL” or “BWAY-BKLYN EXP” with “VIA JAMAICA LOCAL” because the Myrtle to Marcy Avenues is not Jamaica. Technically the only “Express” along Jamaica is Skip-Stop service during rush hours. Remember when (M) trains were terminating at Broadway Jct, the LEDs read “Bway-Bklyn Local”  it’s accurate... What do you think? 

2 minutes ago, VIP said:

Random thought... perhaps manhattan and Jamaica  bound (J) trains should Read “BWAY-BKLYN LOCAL” or “BWAY-BKLYN EXP” with “VIA JAMAICA LOCAL” because the Myrtle to Marcy Avenues is not Jamaica. Technically the only “Express” along Jamaica is Skip-Stop service during rush hours. Remember when (M) trains were terminating at Broadway Jct, the LEDs read “Bway-Bklyn Local”  it’s accurate... What do you think? 

"Broadway-Brooklyn" is such an awkward name, and doesn't mean much to most. I think it would be fine just to say "Brooklyn Local" or "Brooklyn Express," the way the (2) and (5) lines are signed in the Bronx.

Myrtle to Marcy is part of the Jamaica line though; technically speaking, there's nothing actually wrong with that reading, but I understand how it isn't really that relevant in Williamsburg.

4 hours ago, Cabanamaner said:

There's this bootlegger that frequently uses the (D) in The Bronx to sell his stuff. He's an elderly looking man who just rambles on as mostly everyone ignores him. On one occasion, he boards the train as usual and begins his usual shtick, trying to convince anyone who will listen to buy his DVDs. At the next stop, a second bootlegger enters the train, also selling DVDs. This other bootlegger is much more charismatic and energetic than the elderly man, and is actually able to convince some on the train to buy his stuff. The first bootlegger stands behind him in horror with a crushed, defeated look on his face as his rival claimed his territory right in front of him. Truly the most heartbreaking thing I've ever seen on the subway.

I've seen the second bootlegger before, last I saw him he didn't have the movie someone wanted so he gave his cell to the women he was selling to and said to give him a call anytime and he promised he would have the movie by tomorrow.

Seems like a good salesman.

Today for the first time since 2006, I got an R32 with broken A/C... on the (C) line:(

A/C had just broke as the car wasn't a complete steam bath, but it was warm as no air was coming out the vents, people were commenting saying "Damn it's hot in here" etc. 

I was sweating and I had a seat! lol.

Edited by trainfan22

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:57 PM, VIP said:

To piggyback off of officiallyliam's comment, the entire line from Marcy Av to Jamaica-Parsons is the Jamaica line, so it isn't wrong to label the trains as Jamaica Express/Local. The (M) was labeled as Broadway-Brooklyn locals to dissuade riders from the incorrect belief that those trains were bound for Jamaica Center. It's likely the same reason why the (M) also shifted from "Jamaica Local" to "Myrtle Av Local" soon after the 2010 service changes.

2 hours ago, Lance said:

To piggyback off of officiallyliam's comment, the entire line from Marcy Av to Jamaica-Parsons is the Jamaica line, so it isn't wrong to label the trains as Jamaica Express/Local. The (M) was labeled as Broadway-Brooklyn locals to dissuade riders from the incorrect belief that those trains were bound for Jamaica Center. It's likely the same reason why the (M) also shifted from "Jamaica Local" to "Myrtle Av Local" soon after the 2010 service changes.

But don't express (M) trains say "MYRTLE AV EXPRESS" when running express from Marcy to Myrtle?