BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I keep forgetting to put these two dollar coins I have on my metrocard so I can take an Prevost BM2 into the city one of these days. I would imagine Spring Creek has enough Prevosts to not use the MCIs at all on Saturdays.

I have yet to ride an SC Prevost even though it's my "home" depot and my favorite MTA Bus garage. I was waiting for the B103 a couple days ago and an Prevost BM2 showed up first, couldn't ride cause I didn't have enough pay per ride money on my card but it was nice to look at. 

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I keep forgetting to put these two dollar coins I have on my metrocard so I can take an Prevost BM2 into the city one of these days. I would imagine Spring Creek has enough Prevosts to not use the MCIs at all on Saturdays.

I have yet to ride an SC Prevost even though it's my "home" depot and my favorite MTA Bus garage. I was waiting for the B103 a couple days ago and an Prevost BM2 showed up first, couldn't ride cause I didn't have enough pay per ride money on my card but it was nice to look at. 

The only time I rode a Prevost was on the SIM4C from Staten Island Mall to 34th Street in Manhattan.

1 hour ago, Bx41 boi said:

????

@MysteriousBtrain answer to you that was in bold 

Orion V started service first time at Staten Island exp unit out Yukon, out of 1993

The D60HF started service on the Bx1 in 1996

The MCI, in 1997, Castleton was the first depot to use that bus

And the 1998 C40LF: (self explanatory; no recorded first run)

Edited by Calvin

3 minutes ago, Calvin said:

@MysteriousBtrain answer to you that was in bold 

Orion V started service first time at Staten Island exp unit out Yukon, out of 1993

The D60HF started service on the Bx1 in 1996

The MCI, in 1997, Castleton was the first depot to use that bus

And the 1998 C40LF: (self explanatory; no recorded first run)

do we have the Dates?

3 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Did you forget that Staten Island was the first to receive the next gens?????

I felt like I missed something out of it: forgot the part where 3800 was first out of Castleton (at first, it was me thinking Yukon was first). 

On 8/21/2022 at 3:56 AM, BreeddekalbL said:

Who ever follows busoperatorhumornyc dude just posted in Instagram of some poser (claims he is an MTA employee) who works out out of wf depot been harassing women bus operators 

I’ve seen him twice on the 2 shuttle on 149th &3rd

mad sketchy. Knew he was full of shit when I asked what he picked and he said a lil bit of everything. He tried to tell me a supt paid him $500 in cash (he had $500 on him too) to dispatch the shuttle while the dispatcher went and wrote a report on an incident. 

he was in the yard shifting buses when the supt came over and gave him $500 in cash to do 2 hours of work. Weirdest part is he actually knows how to log into the farebox and all. 

Orion NG 4096 has "Zero Emissions" as its destination sign right now. First time seeing that on an non all electric bus. And I've seen black smoke coming out of the NGs exhaust plenty of times over the years, so I don't think that sign is accurate. Even hybrid buses that use diesel fuel that are working properly still have some emissions?

And yes I know those NGs puffing out black smoke had an defect and is not the norm.

Edited by trainfan22

Why does the KB and GH run 40 footers on artic routes during the summer? Is it because a shortage of artics or interlining? I rode an Nova Hybrid on the BX9 today and the bus was filled to capacity. Bus was crush loaded while climbing that steep hill on Kingsbridge road. It was an slow climb but the bus made it lol.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Why does the KB and GH run 40 footers on artic routes during the summer? Is it because a shortage of artics or interlining? I rode an Nova Hybrid on the BX9 today and the bus was filled to capacity. Bus was crush loaded while climbing that steep hill on Kingsbridge road. It was an slow climb but the bus made it lol.

Tends to be like that, it's all hands on deck, and use whatever you can get your hands on. The Bx12 Local to Orchard Beach requires a lot of resources, and both depots have pieces on that route. That's also why you see SBS units on the local routes as well fairly often. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Yeah, 9650 and 9660 were on the 9 today, I rode 9650 to 238th Street, and it was pretty tight. I notice since the Spring Pick there was been four 40 footers in all covering Bx1/2 trips during the day. 

22 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Both depots tend to throw standard buses on their artic routes during the rush, it's been like that for a while now.

What's the deal with the J99? I saw one on tracker earlier in the morning and now there are none on the route. I have tracked it during the weekdays; does it stop running on the weekends or something?

Right now the Planned Service Change says this:

No J between Crescent St and Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer
Sat 3:45 AM to Sun 10 PM until Sep 5*
J service runs between Broad St and Crescent St. (see a map of this service change)

Shuttle Bus

Free shuttle buses make stops between Crescent St and 121 St and connect with the E at Jamaica-Van Wyck.

Transfer between J trains and Shuttle Busbuses at Crescent St.

For Sutphin Blvd-Archer Av-JFK Airport and Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer, take the E instead.

Transfer between E trains and Shuttle Busbuses at Jamaica-Van Wyck.

Travel tip:

For JFK AirTrain, use the Howard Beach-JFK Airport A station via transfer at Broadway Junction.

*The last weekend of this service change ends on Labor Day, Monday at 10 PM.

Note: J99 bus service replaced by shuttle buses during this time.

I don't understand. Why does the J99 shuttle bus need replacement.........by shuttle buses?

Last weekend it said the J99 wasn't running. So what gives?

4 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

What's the deal with the J99? I saw one on tracker earlier in the morning and now there are none on the route. I have tracked it during the weekdays; does it stop running on the weekends or something?

Right now the Planned Service Change says this:

No J between Crescent St and Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer
Sat 3:45 AM to Sun 10 PM until Sep 5*
J service runs between Broad St and Crescent St. (see a map of this service change)

Shuttle Bus

Free shuttle buses make stops between Crescent St and 121 St and connect with the E at Jamaica-Van Wyck.

Transfer between J trains and Shuttle Busbuses at Crescent St.

For Sutphin Blvd-Archer Av-JFK Airport and Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer, take the E instead.

Transfer between E trains and Shuttle Busbuses at Jamaica-Van Wyck.

Travel tip:

For JFK AirTrain, use the Howard Beach-JFK Airport A station via transfer at Broadway Junction.

*The last weekend of this service change ends on Labor Day, Monday at 10 PM.

Note: J99 bus service replaced by shuttle buses during this time.

I don't understand. Why does the J99 shuttle bus need replacement.........by shuttle buses?

Last weekend it said the J99 wasn't running. So what gives?

You pretty much answered your own question as to why it wasn’t running for the last two weekends. That and there’s no J99 to Crescent St program on the buses so its easier to combine the shuttles instead of running two concurrent ones that could cause confusion for some riders.

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382