BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

5 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

This all kind of started when I commented on a review for the 8000-8399 RTS. I told this user that Jamaica got 8200 RTS, the repowered ones to be specific. The user did a mini rant about Jamaica never getting Orion 5's or OG's. 

Definitely sounds like some kid fan that doesn't know what they are talking about.

I never watch these "reviews" from kids or other fans. None of it makes much sense.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

This all kind of started when I commented on a review for the 8000-8399 RTS. I told this user that Jamaica got 8200 RTS, the repowered ones to be specific. The user did a mini rant about Jamaica never getting Orion 5's or OG's. 

So that’s why that YouTuber felt that Jamaica was the step child of NYCT? The Orion’s weren’t exactly known for being stellar in quality.

The RTS has to be one of the best buses built for the MTA just due to the abundance and longevity of those buses in general. I honestly wonder how long the 1998/1999 RTS’s could have lasted in regular service if they didn’t get retired in 2019. 

6 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

I remember when Jamaica had an 8300 from QV for a very short time back in 2000 or 2001. Then in 2004 they got the 8200s from Manhattan for 2 years before they went to baisley.

Also these fans don't realize that Jamaica depot is the oldest depot in the system and at that time they didn't want to give them new Orion VII old gens. I still think they got the next gens mainly because the southeast queens residents started to complain ( i can understand why since before the next gens, Jamaica was 100% high floor) Otherwise they would have probably waited for the 2011 90 bus order.

25 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

So that’s why that YouTuber felt that Jamaica was the step child of NYCT? The Orion’s weren’t exactly known for being stellar in quality.

The RTS has to be one of the best buses built for the MTA just due to the abundance and longevity of those buses in general. I honestly wonder how long the 1998/1999 RTS’s could have lasted in regular service if they didn’t get retired in 2019. 

The RTS were supposed to stay for an additional year or two, They wanted the 6300s-6600s out first due to their mdbf compared to the RTS and they just finished rehabbing a good chunk of the 1998-1999 RTS. Also The (L) shutdown was also another reason hence why we got that large XD40 and LFS order in 2018.

Edited by R32 3838

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

The RTS were supposed to stay for an additional year or two, They wanted the 6300s-6600s out first due to their mdbf compared to the RTS and they just finished rehabbing a good chunk of the 1998-1999 RTS. Also The (L) shutdown was also another reason hence why we got that large XD40 and LFS order in 2018.

I still blame Clayton Guse for that BS article about ENY running RTSes through poor neighborhoods. Meanwhile the M66/M72, probably the highest-income routes of anywhere in the city, had exclusively RTSes, while ENY had a mixed fleet. 

Asking for a co-worker who is about to get a Reduced Fair (Senior) Metrocard...for express buses, is the full fare charged during peak hours on all runs, or only those in the peak travel direction? (for example, if traveling from Manhattan-->Queens at 8:30 am on a weekday, is it full fare?). I tried googling but can't find the answer.

17 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Asking for a co-worker who is about to get a Reduced Fair (Senior) Metrocard...for express buses, is the full fare charged during peak hours on all runs, or only those in the peak travel direction? (for example, if traveling from Manhattan-->Queens at 8:30 am on a weekday, is it full fare?). I tried googling but can't find the answer.

From what I gathered, for express buses, the full fare is only charged during rush hours in general, no matter if its in peak or off-peak direction.

Edited by Cait Sith

17 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

If they put in their card during peak hours they will be charged the full fare. If it’s off hours, the half fare will be charged.

I heard a rumor that southbound 96 street short-sign pull-ins have been sorta curtailed especially later at night on the M101/2 specifically, with there being more of an emphasis on buses pulling in from 147 and fort George to 100 street. i was wondering if this was legitimate. personally, i wish i had that paddle some years back, instead of getting cursed out in Spanish as soon as you bust that right turn into the m96 bus stop 🙄

any valid info provided would be more than appreciated 

On 5/17/2023 at 8:23 AM, Bill from Maspeth said:

7447 (LGA) still has a luggage rack on the left side of the bus.  I rode that unit on the Q39 the other day.  Any other 40 footers still have luggage racks?

All the bus that were wrap for the sbs 70 still have the racks

Did you all hear about these fare hikes 

Bus/Subway: 2.75 to 2.90

Express Bus: 6.75 to $7

What is the point in these type of stuff $7 is to expensive for an express bus and 2.75 to 2.90 isn't that bad but then now ridership will decrease and fare evasion will be more encouraged so if your also a Bee-line and Nice customer good luck but does this effect fare on Bee-line Bxm4c which is 7.50 let me know if you know 

On 5/23/2023 at 6:48 PM, 40 to 241st said:

Did you all hear about these fare hikes 

Bus/Subway: 2.75 to 2.90

Express Bus: 6.75 to $7

What is the point in these type of stuff $7 is to expensive for an express bus and 2.75 to 2.90 isn't that bad but then now ridership will decrease and fare evasion will be more encouraged so if your also a Bee-line and Nice customer good luck but does this effect fare on Bee-line Bxm4c which is 7.50 let me know if you know 

I have to wonder why not to an even $3 for the local fare. Now, as for fare evasion, the fine long ago should have been fixed at many multiples to the base fare (I have thought maybe 60-75 times the base fare would send a message.

Also, regarding some of the Staten Island local routes, in particular, the S42 S54, S55, S56, S57, and S66…I have to wonder if maybe it’s time to go smaller on these routes with cutaway buses (E450-based) as they would be more nimble than typical Class 8 buses…and more right-sized to actual ridership; the S66 is basically a supplement to the S62 nowadays, and none of the others, except for the S42, service St. George at all. (LFS buses could operate supplemental school service.) This is where a fleet of around 25-28 of these buses could be used, assigned to Castleton (S42, S54, S57, S66) and Charleston (S55, S56). (A similar situation could be said about the Bx20, but you don’t have enough routes in the Bronx Division for which this could work…I can only really think of the Bx18 and Bx20)

Also, is there a reason why articulated buses aren’t considered for SI local bridge and SBS routes? A fleet of around 90 of these buses could work…35 for the S79 and 55 for the S53/S93. The big question might be: can Castleton or Yukon handle 60-foot buses inside the garage building?

7 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

I have to wonder why not to an even $3 for the local fare. Now, as for fare evasion, the fine long ago should have been fixed at many multiples to the base fare (I have thought maybe 60-75 times the base fare would send a message.

That's not really a bad idea that way people can only use quarters but this is Mta's fault the buses almost always opens the back door still I was on one yesterday when i did and fare evaders took advantage I think there trying to avoid the $3 zone so people won't get even madder.

2 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

When did they start running artics on the Q110? I saw 5409 on the line yesterday. 

They've been running on the Q110 occasionally since BP got them in 2016. Not every day, but mainly during the rush hours. They tend to also show up on the Q64, though that happens more frequently than the Q110 runs.

40 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

They've been running on the Q110 occasionally since BP got them in 2016. Not every day, but mainly during the rush hours. They tend to also show up on the Q64, though that happens more frequently than the Q110 runs.

Thanks! Do they use artics during UBS arena events?

7 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Thanks! Do they use artics during UBS arena events?

From what I've seen, they use their standard Hybrids. If there's no other bus that's available, then an artic will be in-use.  

In regards to the SI ferry service reductions, the (MTA) should suspend limited service - Especially ones that aren’t meeting a ferry arrival with this hourly service (save the s89 and s93) and reallocate service towards extra buses on the Brooklyn routes and extra express buses during peak hours. 

Another Idea would be to make a temporary shuttle bus route from Battery Park to St. George via the bridge with a few stops along Bay Street as well.

Edited by Lil 57

14 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

Also, regarding some of the Staten Island local routes, in particular, the S42 S54, S55, S56, S57, and S66…I have to wonder if maybe it’s time to go smaller on these routes with cutaway buses (E450-based) as they would be more nimble than typical Class 8 buses…and more right-sized to actual ridership; the S66 is basically a supplement to the S62 nowadays, and none of the others, except for the S42, service St. George at all. (LFS buses could operate supplemental school service.) This is where a fleet of around 25-28 of these buses could be used, assigned to Castleton (S42, S54, S57, S66) and Charleston (S55, S56). (A similar situation could be said about the Bx20, but you don’t have enough routes in the Bronx Division for which this could work…I can only really think of the Bx18 and Bx20)

Also, is there a reason why articulated buses aren’t considered for SI local bridge and SBS routes? A fleet of around 90 of these buses could work…35 for the S79 and 55 for the S53/S93. The big question might be: can Castleton or Yukon handle 60-foot buses inside the garage building?

1. The cost savings of a smaller fleet is minimal compared to the headaches it would bring. Save the S57 these routes are weekday only meaning the mileage would be not proportional to the other buses and if there was a shortage of any 40ft buses, you bet that these smaller buses would be showing up on the other routes. Also a lot of these routes interline so that would be another difficulty with this. For routes that are part time, it’s just not worth it.

2. I believe non of the depots can support attics atm.