BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

17 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

The ones they got directly from The Bronx are online. In fact, almost all their hybrids have their trackers online on BusTime (Save for 12 units that came from Manhattan and Brooklyn: 4266, 4270, 4355, 4442, 4514, 4531-32, 4571, 4599, 4604, and 4630).

It definitely seems like a lot more than those, there's been other buses that I've seen without the trackers, or trackers that malfunction and/or are spotty. Perhaps some of those may have been fixed since then, but that's still way too many buses without working trackers. With how infrequent off-peak service is on a number of LGA lines coupled with the lack of communication whenever runs are not filled, who knows what the actual case is. 

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/19/2023 at 10:01 AM, Snorunts said:

It's probably in case a local bus runs on a SBS route.

21 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Right, but why not just make all routes have all-door boarding to speed things up at this point? If the technology is already in place, it seems silly to not use it. 

IIRC the (MTA) wants all-door boarding on every route but fare Evison has stopped all-door boarding on the local routes.

21 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Interesting, gonna have to see it for myself whenever I get the chance. I did see a massive gap on the Q88 earlier on bustime.

Thankfully I don't have to deal with any of those routes on a daily basis, or else that would just make things bonkers. Unfortunately in my part of the borough there's too many ghost buses, it seems that LGA hasn't properly set up the trackers on the Orion VII NGs they got from other areas (mainly The Bronx). 

As far as I saw today I didn't see any missing trips and plenty of new Novas out today I was surprised to see some white and blue Novas on CS routes until I read the forums. I saw 3 today on NIS one on the Q15A and another on the Q20B all with Staten Island stickers. 

5 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

It definitely seems like a lot more than those, there's been other buses that I've seen without the trackers, or trackers that malfunction and/or are spotty. Perhaps some of those may have been fixed since then, but that's still way too many buses without working trackers. With how infrequent off-peak service is on a number of LGA lines coupled with the lack of communication whenever runs are not filled, who knows what the actual case is. 

From what was mentioned from the list, there are more but they are not LGA buses. To add, these units were spotted without the trackers, JFK and BP NG units: 3964, 3982, 4185, 4188, 4202, 4210, 4216, 4231, 4233, 4239, 4527, 4528, 4601, 4625 and 4626 are included. The Jamaica Av strip is common to find units that's account to the bus schedule but not online to arrival at stops.

Express units are also included to be at the depot without one: 3274 and 3439. 

Edited by Calvin

8 hours ago, Calvin said:

From what was mentioned from the list, there are more but they are not LGA buses. To add, these units were spotted without the trackers, JFK and BP NG units: 3964, 3982, 4185, 4188, 4202, 4210, 4216, 4231, 4233, 4239, 4527, 4528, 4601, 4625 and 4626 are included. The Jamaica Av strip is common to find units that's account to the bus schedule but not online to arrival at stops.

Express units are also included to be at the depot without one: 3274 and 3439. 

I'll believe it when I see it. I take the Q47  a lot and the Q29 as well so I see this play out pretty often, which has been the case for a hot minute now (and pretty recently too). I report virtually all of them when I see it too, so I know what I'm saying when it comes to these broken/inaccurate trackers. Some of them stop working mid route, and never are seen again on bustime. 

From the talk about MTA Bus Next Gens, I've noticed that JFK tends to remove the New York City wording on the units that was given to them like 4527 and 4528. Meanwhile, LGA, BP and Eastchester doesn't remove it like JFK does. Not that it's a big cause, just a thought. 

On 4/19/2023 at 9:37 AM, QM1to6Ave said:

Any word on when all-door boarding will begin on all routes? It's ridiculous that the MTA paid to have the cubic readers on the back door of every single bus, but they are only used on SBS routes.

Not happening until cash fares/Metrocards are fully phased out

41 minutes ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Why can't Ulmer Park send in more B6 busses to pick up the clogged up amount of Midwood H.S students going towards Bensonhurst 86th Street? 

Other routes like the B3, B36, B64 and B74 needs their buses in-service. Even though there can be units left at Ulmer Park that aren't used, they still need at least a few as spares or to hold in-case something happens, a replacement bus shows up. 

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Other routes like the B3, B36, B64 and B74 needs their buses in-service. Even though there can be units left at Ulmer Park that aren't used, they still need at least a few as spares or to hold in-case something happens, a replacement bus shows up. 

Then why can't they short stop busses at Flatbush Ave the same way they short stop south bound B6 busses at C.I Avenue?

Edited by ABOGbrooklyn

1 hour ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Then why can't they short stop busses at Flatbush Ave the same way they short stop south bound B6 busses at C.I Avenue?

Have you seen how busy that area gets?

That's not even getting into how busy the route gets east of there.

Edited by Lex

48 minutes ago, Lex said:

Have you seen how busy that area gets?

That's not even getting into how busy the route gets east of there.

Glenwood Rd by Flatbush Ave is not very busy until you get on to Flatbush Ave. I am aware that East of Flatbush Ave is very bust but maybe have a small number of short turns at Glenwood Rd because it's severely packed going towards 86th Street.

The B6 between Flatbush Ave and New Lots is just as busy. Plus a lot of school kids from schools along the Brighton Line ride the B6 from Ave J to Canarsie, etc.

I used go to PS 152 across the street from Midwood and after school those Rockaway Parkway and Limited buses would always be SRO.

IDK if this still happens but the B6 used to get hammered at Nostrand & Glenwood with crowds.

5 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Why can't Ulmer Park send in more B6 busses to pick up the clogged up amount of Midwood H.S students going towards Bensonhurst 86th Street? 

To add to what @Calvin said, demand is simply greater on the B6 at & east of Flatbush (hence the current short turns b/w CI av & Rockaway Pkwy).

3 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:
4 hours ago, Calvin said:

The current amount of short turns b/w CI av & Rockaway Pkwy are a better use of resources than to have any significant number of B6's short turning b/w Flatbush av. & Ulmer Park.... Furthermore, turning too many buses around anywhere around Flatbush/Glenwood (either side of Flatbush av) would loom rather cumbersome....

Glenwood Rd by Flatbush Ave is not very busy until you get on to Flatbush Ave. I am aware that East of Flatbush Ave is very bust but maybe have a small number of short turns at Glenwood Rd because it's severely packed going towards 86th Street.

That's the point....

21 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

Not happening until cash fares/Metrocards are fully phased out

What's the logic behind that? Let the people who want to pay with OMNY/credit cards use either entrance to cut down on dwell time, and maybe get more people to ride the bus if it's faster

45 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

What's the logic behind that? Let the people who want to pay with OMNY/credit cards use either entrance to cut down on dwell time, and maybe get more people to ride the bus if it's faster

Front and back door boarding allows faster boarding which means fewer delays.

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

IDK if this still happens but the B6 used to get hammered at Nostrand & Glenwood with crowds.

It does at times when school is in dismissal hour (Around 2-3 PM and above). When one person opens that rear door getting off, that section gets pushed it with repeating F5 beeping noises. 

Edited by Calvin

58 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

This is a new one...I saw a CP Prevost with the front destination sign saying "CHARGING" (I think the side sign was blank, as was the rear sign)

Is this sone secret EV/hybrid mode or something lol?

Saw that on a Prevost on Staten Island once. Think it's just a code that is meant to be used on the electric buses.

5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

To add to what @Calvin said, demand is simply greater on the B6 at & east of Flatbush (hence the current short turns b/w CI av & Rockaway Pkwy).

The current amount of short turns b/w CI av & Rockaway Pkwy are a better use of resources than to have any significant number of B6's short turning b/w Flatbush av. & Ulmer Park.... Furthermore, turning too many buses around anywhere around Flatbush/Glenwood (either side of Flatbush av) would loom rather cumbersome....

That's the point....

Incidentally, I had just returned from there (actually right by the elevator to the station) when I made that reply.

13 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Not for nothing but the east flatbush/canarsie portion needs the resources more. Bus bunching will always make things worse. 

There was a concert at the UBS Arena yesterday. After it was over, the Q2 and Q110 buses were entirely full that other passengers that couldn't squeeze into the bus had to wait for the next one that's over 20 minutes. Or, go for the long walk to Elmont-LIRR station since Belmont Park isn't open to the public anymore. 

Edited by Calvin