BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

2 hours ago, R188 7857 said:

Have not really been liking these new Nova diesels at Stengel. They seem to take bumps much harder, and I've noticed that the new plug doors don't like opening when you tap the tape. I've been on too many where people are screaming back door because they can't get it to open. Compared to the XD40s, some people are also not making enough space to fit two people in the width of the aisle, so these buses feel crowded much quicker. To make it even worse, I recently had one without working A/C and with a very warm rear section. Starting to miss those Orion NGs, they had the coldest A/C of any buses I've been on. I'm wondering if the Nova hybrids are any better, I've yet to be able to take a ride on one but I've heard good things about them.

I have the same experience with the plug doors. Gotta almost bang on it to get it to open. It's quite annoying. I also notice that the BO has a camera monitoring the rear door section. Not sure what the exact purpose is

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I have the same experience with the plug doors. Gotta almost bang on it to get it to open. It's quite annoying. I also notice that the BO has a camera monitoring the rear door section. Not sure what the exact purpose is

I’m guessing since they are plug-style doors, there is a possibility of something being caught in them as they close. I’m guessing TA hopes that extra camera there for the driver can spot if something is stuck in the doorway should an article of clothing get stuck and a person is dragged. I guess it’s just an extra safety measure without sacrificing much if anything else.

21 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

I’m guessing since they are plug-style doors, there is a possibility of something being caught in them as they close. I’m guessing TA hopes that extra camera there for the driver can spot if something is stuck in the doorway should an article of clothing get stuck and a person is dragged. I guess it’s just an extra safety measure without sacrificing much if anything else.

The screen takes up a lot of space. I could see it being used for blind spot warning screens or other things that might be more useful, but I'm  not a BO lol

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

The screen takes up a lot of space. I could see it being used for blind spot warning screens or other things that might be more useful, but I'm  not a BO lol

I can attest to it being annoying. It blocks most of your view of passengers walking to the front door. 

9 hours ago, lornaevo said:

I can attest to it being annoying. It blocks most of your view of passengers walking to the front door. 

Thanks, I had a feeling it was annoying given the size and location!

Did they give you guys an explanation for the purpose of it? 

Edited by QM1to6Ave

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Thanks, I had a feeling it was annoying given the size and location!

Did they give you guys an explanation for the purpose of it? 

No. They just started showing up on buses. And I think they plan on retrofitting the fleet? 

21 hours ago, josephnyy42 said:

It also works as a backup camera when shifting to reverse. The camera points straight down to let us know if there's something or someone directly behind the bus that we wouldn't be able to see with the mirrors

Well that actually sounds useful! I imagine that also makes it easier to park the bus in the yard if you have to back into a spot

1 hour ago, 46Dover said:

I was actually wondering if there are multiple depots that have their hands on one bus line the same way NJT has most all their depots run the 126

Do school trippers count? If so quite a few routes have multiple depots buses running on them.

if not, JFK and FR with the Q11 is the only possible one I could think of. I think there's an express bus route in the BX that's split between CP and ECH.

The Q32 used to be split between CS and Quill, but now only CS operates the route.

FR used to run the B100 when SC was closed on Sundays in the early days of MTA Bus.

1 hour ago, 46Dover said:

I was actually wondering if there are multiple depots that have their hands on one bus line the same way NJT has most all their depots run the 126

8 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Do school trippers count? If so quite a few routes have multiple depots buses running on them.

if not, JFK and FR with the Q11 is the only possible one I could think of. I think there's an express bus route in the BX that's split between CP and ECH.

The Q32 used to be split between CS and Quill, but now only CS operates the route.

FR used to run the B100 when SC was closed on Sundays in the early days of MTA Bus.

Many SI express routes run out of multiple depots. The SIM3/33c/35 run out of both Castleton and Meredith.  And a lot of the Hylan Routes run out of Yukon, Castleton and Charleston. Also, any depot can cover for any SI route so you’ll often see buses from different depots filling in for routes that aren’t normally run by that depot. 

3 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Many SI express routes run out of multiple depots. The SIM3/33c/35 run out of both Castleton and Meredith.  And a lot of the Hylan Routes run out of Yukon, Castleton and Charleston. Also, any depot can cover for any SI route so you’ll often see buses from different depots filling in for routes that aren’t normally run by that depot. 

If I'm not mistaken, the SIM1 or combination (X1 back then) had runs out of all the Staten Island depots in service. Meredith can be occasionally as a service as assigned. 

18 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I remember back then, it was the times they had the Old Gens up and running daily except the V CNGs ran throughout the weekdays only. On the Sundays they had Far Rockaway buses, the deadheads either at Kings Highway or Mill Basin for the FR bus ops was far though. Going from Brooklyn but going past the Q35 route up to Rockaway Beach Blvd. 

4 minutes ago, NBTA said:

You can kiss 2481 away for a while, it got into a collision with a tour bus, leaving about 60 people injured. Hopefully everyone is okay.

It looks pretty bad from the comments someone said it was T-boned.

I feel for the drivers over at NICE bus who have to stand their ground against farebeaters who are aggressive and potentially dangerous. 
Most MTA drivers don’t care anymore because no one wants to risk getting hurt over a fare which is totally understandable. Unfortunately NYC has done a bad job getting it’s farebeating problem under control so when some of these knucklehead farebeaters try to board a NICE bus there is always some loud verbal exchange between the driver and that person. 

59 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I feel for the drivers over at NICE bus who have to stand their ground against farebeaters who are aggressive and potentially dangerous. 
Most MTA drivers don’t care anymore because no one wants to risk getting hurt over a fare which is totally understandable. Unfortunately NYC has done a bad job getting it’s farebeating problem under control so when some of these knucklehead farebeaters try to board a NICE bus there is always some loud verbal exchange between the driver and that person. 

MTA explicitly instructs BOs not to challenge farebeaters. It's cheaper than having to deal with injured or dead BOs, to put it bluntly (which is how the bean counters think about these things)

Update from the crash: 71 people were injured, with 36 needing hospitalization. The number has fluctuated throughout the night, so the final number may change. More importantly, it seems that the injuries were not life threatening. The article does mention that some passengers from the tourist bus had to be removed from the windows.

As for how the incident occurred, the double decker ran past a red light at 1st Avenue & East 23rd Street, rear ending MTA Bus 2481 in the process. The Prevost suffered multiple broken windows on the right of the unit (The ones on the left were intact) but otherwise the unit didn't receive heavy damage. The double decker did see significant damage on the front of the unit. For now the driver of the tourist bus will receive a summons.

https://abc7ny.com/bus-crash-manhattan-buses-collide-tour/13470603/?fbclid=IwAR2SBjkkfA5N__y1MpKxSYHAhcL8ZXZ7Q9_0we0ikDhKzKcJMRAy6GE_078

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/manhattan-double-bus-crash-sends-18-to-hospital-fdny-says/4484072/?fbclid=IwAR28XN4jOgBF_raeQt-gDw1K3PhfTGz4FDbdJ93S5rSniUxe1Mcy5ozanV8

7 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

They actually have security at HTC, that can and do kick passengers off the bus which includes the refusal of payment of fares

Some NICE drivers don’t care but most still do about farebeating. 

This is compared to MTA where the service is essentially free. How about having a rotation of police just roam the system and actually hand out tickets. But no, let’s increase the fare instead… keep milking it out of the remaining paying ridership

they keep taking about the blue ribbon report, but nobody knows when want to begin enforcing the fare

6 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

MTA explicitly instructs BOs not to challenge farebeaters. It's cheaper than having to deal with injured or dead BOs, to put it bluntly (which is how the bean counters think about these things)

Why should anyone pay the fare then at this point

Morals shouldn’t be the only thing keeping people paying

7 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Update from the crash: 71 people were injured, with 36 needing hospitalization. The number has fluctuated throughout the night, so the final number may change. More importantly, it seems that the injuries were not life threatening. The article does mention that some passengers from the tourist bus had to be removed from the windows.

As for how the incident occurred, the double decker ran past a red light at 1st Avenue & East 23rd Street, rear ending MTA Bus 2481 in the process. The Prevost suffered multiple broken windows on the right of the unit (The ones on the left were intact) but otherwise the unit didn't receive heavy damage. The double decker did see significant damage on the front of the unit. For now the driver of the tourist bus will receive a summons.

https://abc7ny.com/bus-crash-manhattan-buses-collide-tour/13470603/?fbclid=IwAR2SBjkkfA5N__y1MpKxSYHAhcL8ZXZ7Q9_0we0ikDhKzKcJMRAy6GE_078

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/manhattan-double-bus-crash-sends-18-to-hospital-fdny-says/4484072/?fbclid=IwAR28XN4jOgBF_raeQt-gDw1K3PhfTGz4FDbdJ93S5rSniUxe1Mcy5ozanV8

Where was the Prevost coming from?

9 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

I read the double decker actually t-boned the Prevost, which would explain the damage to the side of the bus and the high injury count. Now, how it ended up hitting the rear of the bus too, who knows.