BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

According to the stats, this is how each route ranked in their respective borough:

Bx18 ranked 34th out of 37 routes. This was pre redesign of course. 

The B60 ranked 28th out of 54

The M116 ranked 18th out of 38

The Q4 ranked 27th out of 78

The S46/96 ranked 4th out of 22

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: the M116, the rationale there seems to me that it never crosses into overly-affluent neighborhoods. All the north-south buses brush fancy neighborhoods at some point, and every other crosstown runs through pricier parts too. Not that Morningside Heights is cheap, but it's not the Upper East Side either.

Now, if they just wanted to make it about serving low-income riders, I figured they would choose the M35. On the other hand, half the people on that bus wouldn't even notice it was now free, and you'd risk setting up an even more unpleasant situation for B/Os making it into a rolling homeless shelter. At least the 116 is a quick run and B/Os can fumigate at the end of their trips. 

The other alternative would have been to do a moon shot and really encourage transit use by choosing an important corridor – say the 14A/D – and making that free. There's an argument there that you would benefit ridership and congestion generally by putting people who don't normally uses buses on that bus, even if you might just decrease ridership on the L. Obviously that was too much of a fare commitment for them to move ahead with.

From what I found from Greg Mocker snd with NY-1; the fare increase is subject to take place on August 20th. $2.90 for all local/limited and SBS routes, $34 for 7-day Unlimited with $132 for 30-day. Included in the subway system as well. Also, the Express will be $7. 

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2023/07/19/mta-to-vote-on-proposed-fare-and-toll-hikes?fbclid=IwAR3S6WmM85PiKRHB8MbdNnd3QoQAQRy5ze_CYkI3CJ9SipATZ5fZEtt0vKk

Edited by Calvin

3 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Now, if they just wanted to make it about serving low-income riders, I figured they would choose the M35. On the other hand, half the people on that bus wouldn't even notice it was now free, and you'd risk setting up an even more unpleasant situation for B/Os making it into a rolling homeless shelter. At least the 116 is a quick run and B/Os can fumigate at the end of their trips. 

I immediately thought of the (E) train when you said this lol.

2 hours ago, Missabassie said:

.....Still don't agree with upping express bus fare to $7 bucks

And on top of that they want to kill Saturday service for BM routes. No bueno papi, no bueno.

15 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Where did you hear this?

Think Missabassie is talking about the Brooklyn Bus Redesign, all of the current BM routes (BM1-5) would run only peak and evenings only (towards Manhattan 5-11am and from Manhattan 3-9pm for most routes) with no weekend service.

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

From what I found from Greg Mocker snd with NY-1; the fare increase is subject to take place on August 20th. $2.90 for all local/limited and SBS routes, $34 for 7-day Unlimited with $132 for 30-day. Included in the subway system as well. Also, the Express will be $7. 

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2023/07/19/mta-to-vote-on-proposed-fare-and-toll-hikes?fbclid=IwAR3S6WmM85PiKRHB8MbdNnd3QoQAQRy5ze_CYkI3CJ9SipATZ5fZEtt0vKk

My question is how would this affect omny? Is it gonna cap out after reaching the $34 or are we still using the 12+ taps and free bs?

(With calculations it indicates it really doesn't matter, 12 taps equilate to $34.80, so if there is a said cap at $34, you're only saving 80 cents. Wow.)

8 hours ago, Calvin said:

From what I found from Greg Mocker snd with NY-1; the fare increase is subject to take place on August 20th. $2.90 for all local/limited and SBS routes, $34 for 7-day Unlimited with $132 for 30-day. Included in the subway system as well. Also, the Express will be $7

8 hours ago, Missabassie said:

.....Still don't agree with upping express bus fare to $7 bucks

And on top of that they want to kill Saturday service for BM routes. No bueno papi, no bueno.

Might this explain the $7 peak City Ticket? Trying to push riders to the LIRR?

1 hour ago, Mtatransit said:

MTA fare evasion for SBS is apparently 46.5%, compared to 37.7% for local. I thought someone said SBS fare evasion was only 4%

https://metrics.mta.info/

The Eagle team busts a lot of people abusing the SBS. Local... not so much. We can't hit that F5 button enough nor keep track of all the farebeats that get on a local bus. Especially the B35... LOL.

Its interesting seeing a bunch of Bronx Novas being sent down to Tuskegee every day. Just for fun, I compiled what's out there today alone:

5288, 5302, 5305, 5339, 5342, 5793, 5949, 5963, 5981-5982, 5984, 5986 (With 6210 from Hale).

There's also the buses that have been there for a while like 5310, 5948, 5952-5954.

Bronx depots did receive some Tuskegee units: 5833 & 5876 at KB; 5261 & 5926 at GH; 5914 & 5919 at WF.

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382

On 7/19/2023 at 10:33 PM, N6 Limited said:

Might this explain the $7 peak City Ticket? Trying to push riders to the LIRR?

No.....people have been complaining about how the CityTicket during the week can't be used peak hours, which results in having to pay a bit more than double the amount of the CityTicket value just to travel between Manhattan and Queens, hence, the peak fare CityTicket.

On 7/19/2023 at 3:42 PM, trainfan22 said:

Where did you hear this?

On 7/19/2023 at 4:02 PM, Lil 57 said:

Think Missabassie is talking about the Brooklyn Bus Redesign, all of the current BM routes (BM1-5) would run only peak and evenings only (towards Manhattan 5-11am and from Manhattan 3-9pm for most routes) with no weekend service.

Yes

A van going around 80 MPH crashed into an BX9 bus. What's crazy is the bus was barely damaged while the van was totaled and brust into flames.

Surveillance video show the driver of the bus opened the doors right away with ppl running out of the bus. It's crazy how much stronger bus frames are compared to smaller vehicles.

It's suspected the driver of the van had an medical emergency, hope he's ok.

6 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

It's suspected the driver of the van had an medical emergency, hope he's ok.

Damn, I fully thought the people in the van didn’t make it seeing that the van was totalled and burst into flames. Good to hear they’re expected to be fine. 

As for the bus, I doubt they’ll bother to repair it unless they Frankenstein the thing, is there even an LFSA that has front end damage?