BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question, why do buses from other borough come to Manhattan for operator training? I've seen buses from LGA, CS, JFK, JA, Grand Ave and other places on vicinity of Lexington Ave/23 street often. Why is that?

Crazy thing is that I saw a LGA bus doing driver training on 8 St and 3 Av earlier today

Quick question, why do buses from other borough come to Manhattan for operator training? I've seen buses from LGA, CS, JFK, JA, Grand Ave and other places on vicinity of Lexington Ave/23 street often. Why is that? 

Probably because they just pull whatever spare buses they can get from whatever depots that are available.  I get the feeling that they have the operator training in NYC because of all of the traffic and chaos.  The thinking would be that if you can drive in Manhattan, you should be able to drive in any of the other outer boroughs or suburban areas of the city.

Probably because they just pull whatever spare buses they can get from whatever depots that are available. I get the feeling that they have the operator training in NYC because of all of the traffic and chaos. The thinking would be that if you can drive in Manhattan, you should be able to drive in any of the other outer boroughs or suburban areas of the city.

Training buses are not selected at random. The buses used for training are specifically set up with a trolley brake connection in the front. This is so the instructor can stop the bus when he/she needs to.

Training buses are not selected at random. The buses used for training are specifically set up with a trolley brake connection in the front. This is so the instructor can stop the bus when he/she needs to.

Where would the instructor brake be located?

Its not on the bus itself. Only the quick connect air fittings are on the buses. The instructor's trolley brake lever stays with the instructor. They clamp it to the first curb side stanchion. The quick connect fittings are usually mounted in a small locked box under the first bench seat on the the curb side of an RTS. In the NGs, they are usually mounted to the drivers side of the firebox, behind the drivers partition door.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Edited by Blitz