BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1. It was not a riddle. It was a rhetorical question.

2. Yeah, the BM5 is one of my most prefered routes to take, but that doesn't mean I'm fixated on it. Outside of this general conversation, when in the last few weeks or so have made a statement of the BM5, or that it's gold. If anything, I've been talking about how I've ridden the route and the ridership patterns on occasion. However, the BM5 is not the subject of my day. My signature is only one thing, and I haven't been rumbling on about the BM5. Maybe a post here or two.

3. Yeah, most trips to Manhattan during off peak hours do 7-8 riders, sometimes up to even 13. It had a 20,000 ridership increase from 2010-2011 (annual ridership). Going to Queens, I can't say the same thing, you'll have your 2 riders.

1- Yeah, I saw your edit after the fact.... The part of the post you highlighted in red, which is where you answer a question with a question....

But in a prior post you say "yet it's the same thing over and over again."... Well if you're not gonna give definitive answers, you're only gonna get what you give back.....

2- It doesn't have to be gold (as you put it) & it doesn't have to be the subject of your day either....

On the flipside of that, for you to say you've made a post or two about the BM5 is ridiculous.....

3- Alright then, so it should be of no surprise as to why you have folks suggesting that the route should run rush hours only..... The way you responded to NewFlyer, one would think ridership was through the roof on the BM5 or something......

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1- Yeah, I saw your edit after the fact.... The part of the post you highlighted in red, which is where you answer a question with a question....

But in a prior post you say "yet it's the same thing over and over again."... Well if you're not gonna give definitive answers, you're only gonna get what you give back.....

2- It doesn't have to be gold (as you put it) & it doesn't have to be the subject of your day either....

On the flipside of that, for you to say you've made a post or two about the BM5 is ridiculous.....

3- Alright then, so it should be of no surprise as to why you have folks suggesting that the route should run rush hours only..... The way you responded to NewFlyer, one would think ridership was through the roof on the BM5 or something......

1. I also said something similar approxiamately 5 pages back (I don't know if you read or not).

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/45411-just-several/

2. No, a post here or two. Not at the same time, but not to the point where it's common. I might bring it up once in a while, but I do not bring it up every day.

3. It's not through the roof, other express lines also start dying down in ridership at around the same time periods with the same amount of riders per trip. However, such routes can maintain the ridership for longer periods of time in the off peak direction or during off peak times in general (for example, the QM5). There's some routes I just wouldn't cut down to nothing (the 5/6 is one example of many). I mean, it's not the worst, but it's not superior to others. The QM15 beats it by a couple of extra riders (thanks to Lindenwood). 

1.The BM2 to Midtown originates in Canarsie, while the BM5 originates within Starett City. You might as well take the B82 to the (L)

2. The sig and the "ad" are the same thing.

1. When the BM5 doesn't run, the BM2 terminates where the BM5 does....

2.  Yeah I meant your handle and your signature/"ad" lol

1. When the BM5 doesn't run, the BM2 terminates where the BM5 does....

2. Yeah I meant your handle and your signature/"ad" lol

1. The BM2 is the Downtown variant for the BM5. It runs during the rush hour period (peak direction). Other times it ends at East 108 and Flatlands Ave. The BM5 runs to Midtown during weekdays and Saturdays.

2. Well, I had the handle Q67 in mind, but that really didn't work out. Really isn't an ad if Im not promoting it (well I am here) in heavy amounts.

647 had a rear in collision with a truck on the Whitestone expressway exit ramp right before Linden Place. It has some damage on the driver side but it shouldn't be OOS for too long.

647 had a rear in collision with a truck on the Whitestone expressway exit ramp right before Linden Place. It has some damage on the driver side but it shouldn't be OOS for too long.

I rode that bus yesterday on the Q53. Damn.

Covers? Those (MTA) express seats are covers? I thought the actual seat was stitched in gray and blue.

If you look closely towards the bottom of the back of the seat covers (at least on the Prevosts anyway) you will see the company's name that makes the covers (it's a small tag).  I noticed it when I was an X27 a few months ago coming back from Bay Ridge.  I was in the last seat on the right hand side.  You will see zippers on some of the backs of the seats for that reason.  The MCI's have some seats like that.

Managed to ride an old route I used to frequent.... The ole QM16.

We got from 57th/6th to B. 116th pretty quick, about an hour (used to be like an hour & 15)...

I swear, some people have no shame....

To the lady that was sitting in the back row opposite me, was it not enough to kick off your flip flops & sit horizontally with the ball of your feet in my direction, with your... kitty, showing in the process? She was wearing a pink dress, and had a scowl on her face for most of the ride; Least it didn't reek of fish back there though.... She was on the back, right side of the bus, whereas I was on the left-most side of the bus.....

I dozed off for a good portion of the ride, so I only saw one QM15 & no (**pause**) BM5's.

But that's not the main reason I'm posting here right now...

What I really wanted to post/ask was... Since when did the Q35 SB destination sign read "RIIS PARK"?

None of the 4 buses I saw (including the one that discharged pax @ B. 116th) had the Rockaway Park - B 116th st signage.....

(I jokingly said to myself, I didn't know Riis got this big.... Here I am at 116th & all)

I guess they're having buses do that to let folks know that buses are making the RIIS beach stop... But you'd think they'd have it as part of the Rockaway - B 116th signage in transition.... If I were waiting for a Q35 somewhere w/i Brooklyn & I wanted to head out to B 116th, I would have been mightily pissed (as having RIIS PARK, with nothing else transitioning, is totally misleading).....

....As for the whole BM5 debacle, rather entertaining stuff :lol:

You're.... Welcome? :lol:

If you look closely towards the bottom of the back of the seat covers (at least on the Prevosts anyway) you will see the company's name that makes the covers (it's a small tag).  I noticed it when I was an X27 a few months ago coming back from Bay Ridge.  I was in the last seat on the right hand side.  You will see zippers on some of the backs of the seats for that reason.  The MCI's have some seats like that.

Lol..... What, might I ask, possessed you to check that out? I don't like bending/crouching/leaning down to pick up something I dropped on a bus, let along literally searching for something any closer to the ground on a bus I have no business doing.....

Not to sound like a germaphobe, but with certain things like that, I'm good.... Kinda like flushing the toilet in a public bathroom with my bare hands for example....

1. Managed to ride an old route I used to frequent.... The ole QM16.

We got from 57th/6th to B. 116th pretty quick, about an hour (used to be like an hour & 15)...

2. I swear, some people have no shame....

To the lady that was sitting in the back row opposite me, was it not enough to kick off your flip flops & sit horizontally with the ball of your feet in my direction, with your... kitty, showing in the process? She was wearing a pink dress, and had a scowl on her face for most of the ride; Least it didn't reek of fish back there though.... She was on the back, right side of the bus, whereas I was on the left-most side of the bus.....

3. I dozed off for a good portion of the ride, so I only saw one QM15 & no (**pause**) BM5's.

4. But that's not the main reason I'm posting here right now...

What I really wanted to post/ask was... Since when did the Q35 SB destination sign read "RIIS PARK"?

None of the 4 buses I saw (including the one that discharged pax @ B. 116th) had the Rockaway Park - B 116th st signage.....

(I jokingly said to myself, I didn't know Riis got this big.... Here I am at 116th & all)

I guess they're having buses do that to let folks know that buses are making the RIIS beach stop... But you'd think they'd have it as part of the Rockaway - B 116th signage in transition.... If I were waiting for a Q35 somewhere w/i Brooklyn & I wanted to head out to B 116th, I would have been mightily pissed (as having RIIS PARK, with nothing else transitioning, is totally misleading).....

Not to sound like a germaphobe, but with certain things like that, I'm good.... Kinda like flushing the toilet in a public bathroom with my bare hands for example....

1. You're lucky, because with all the traffic yesterday, I don't know how that worked out.

2. Had to reread the kitty part to make sure it was what I thought it was. That's why I don't sit in the very back (not just the specific case of that, but for other reasons too).

3. Good ole Woodhaven local and limited acting up again (although with the 15, it always happens, the BM5, when something happens, it's really bad).

4. The "RIIS PARK" sign is to let people know it terminates at Riis Park. Most originate from Brooklyn anyway. The one that discharge riders either had an incorrect code or had to do an emergency run.

In bold: Good, I'm not the only one.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Managed to ride an old route I used to frequent.... The ole QM16.

I swear, some people have no shame....

I dozed off for a good portion of the ride, so I only saw one QM15 & no (**pause**) BM5's.

Lol..... What, might I ask, possessed you to check that out? I don't like bending/crouching/leaning down to pick up something I dropped on a bus, let along literally searching for something any closer to the ground on a bus I have no business doing.....

It was because I needed to charge my cell phone.  The Prevosts have the chargers there beneath the seats if you will but in eyesight (the MCI's have them too but in different areas and they're more hidden), and as I went to put the plug into the outlet, I noticed the little tag on the chair and I said, hmmm isn't this is interesting.  They have a part where I guess you remove it, but it's on there pretty firmly, so I wonder how they actually go about removing them when they need to swap out the old ones for new ones.  As for being a germaphobe, I'm less of one on the express bus since they tend to be cleaner, but in any event, I always wash my hands immediately when I get home or to my office. I don't touch anything until I do.

Maybe someone out here can help me out. Been looking at the (MTA) website for the last week or so and under the bus section there are reports of delays because of construction on the Gowanus Expressway. If my memory is correct many, if not most, of these bus routes have nothing to do with the expressway. B14, B15, for example. What am I missing here ? Carry on.

Maybe someone out here can help me out. Been looking at the (MTA) website for the last week or so and under the bus section there are reports of delays because of construction on the Gowanus Expressway. If my memory is correct many, if not most, of these bus routes have nothing to do with the expressway. B14, B15, for example. What am I missing here ? Carry on.

Correct... If there are delays somewhere in Brooklyn or Manhattan or whatever borough you want to use as an example, then on the status page it will say M1 - M116 "Delays". Once you click on the status update, it should show what the specific delays are and the specific routes affected by the delay.  Unfortunately, whoever posts the status updates is "out to lunch" at times, and they post the wrong information.  I've always said that there should be someone that double checks these updates because they're often a mess and almost seem to be posted by people who have no clue about the bus or subway system.

I blasted them for a huge blunder during the Metro-North derailment down in Spuyten Duyvil.  They were detouring buses but the detour information was terrible.  Henry Hudson Parkway runs through most of Riverdale and a small part of Spuyten Duyvil.  There is Henry Hudson Parkway East (service road, which runs southbound), and Henry Hudson Parkway West (service road, which runs northbound).  They had "Henry Hudson Parkway North" listed, which doesn't exist, and in addition to that, they gave a detour that wasn't possible, and so we had no idea where the express buses were running.  It turned out that the express buses were running down Henry Hudson Parkway West Southbound until Independence Avenue, then making a right on Independence Avenue, heading Northbound on Independence and going back up to West 239th, making a right on 239th to then going down the hill via Riverdale Avenue, as that was the only way they could go Southbound to get out of the area and not strand the folks down in Spuyten Duyvil.

Correct... If there are delays somewhere in Brooklyn or Manhattan or whatever borough you want to use as an example, then on the status page it will say M1 - M116 "Delays". Once you click on the status update, it should show what the specific delays are and the specific routes affected by the delay.  Unfortunately, whoever posts the status updates is "out to lunch" at times, and they post the wrong information.  I've always said that there should be someone that double checks these updates because they're often a mess and almost seem to be posted by people who have no clue about the bus or subway system.

I blasted them for a huge blunder during the Metro-North derailment down in Spuyten Duyvil.  They were detouring buses but the detour information was terrible.  Henry Hudson Parkway runs through most of Riverdale and a small part of Spuyten Duyvil.  There is Henry Hudson Parkway East (service road, which runs southbound), and Henry Hudson Parkway West (service road, which runs northbound).  They had "Henry Hudson Parkway North" listed, which doesn't exist, and in addition to that, they gave a detour that wasn't possible, and so we had no idea where the express buses were running.  It turned out that the express buses were running down Henry Hudson Parkway West Southbound until Independence Avenue, then making a right on Independence Avenue, heading Northbound on Independence and going back up to West 239th, making a right on 239th to then going down the hill via Riverdale Avenue, as that was the only way they could go Southbound to get out of the area and not strand the folks down in Spuyten Duyvil.

I agree with you but c'mon the page has correct information interspersed with bus routes that run in Brownsville and East New York. I think that even Stevie Wonder can see that. It seems that the Gowanus construction is being used as a cover for almost every Brooklyn bus delay. I think that you, as a former S.I. express bus rider, BrooklynBus, and B35, can see the problem with the web page. Why can't someone at the (MTA) see it and correct it, even if it's not their direct responsibility. I used to call the PR people down at 370 Jay to correct them on their subway delay mistakes when warranted. Heck, they even gave me an award for it. Maybe I'm too old school but I took pride in my job because I was taught that way. Obviously things have changed since then. I can see a 1 or 2 hour mistake but not a 1 or 2 week mistake. Carry on.

I agree with you but c'mon the page has correct information interspersed with bus routes that run in Brownsville and East New York. I think that even Stevie Wonder can see that. It seems that the Gowanus construction is being used as a cover for almost every Brooklyn bus delay. I think that you, as a former S.I. express bus rider, BrooklynBus, and B35, can see the problem with the web page. Why can't someone at the (MTA) see it and correct it, even if it's not their direct responsibility. I used to call the PR people down at 370 Jay to correct them on their subway delay mistakes when warranted. Heck, they even gave me an award for it. Maybe I'm too old school but I took pride in my job because I was taught that way. Obviously things have changed since then. I can see a 1 or 2 hour mistake but not a 1 or 2 week mistake. Carry on.

Well it's something that I've wrote numerous complaints to them about over the years.  They need to do a better job of listing the correct information.

Does 7423-7428 still have those red/blue cover seats?

They were replaced long ago with some seats out of a retired MCI.

Covers? Those (MTA) express seats are covers? I thought the actual seat was stitched in gray and blue.

All express buses prior to The Prevosts have American Seating brand seats which are stitched. The new buses, and current Prevosts have 4One Suburban seats which are made different and do have zippers for easier replacement. On a side note, all NYCT spec transit buses prior to The Test and Eval program all had American seating as well. Now an optional spec is 4One for those as well, and if anyone cares to take a look when you get a chance you will notice 4892 has 4One Gimini brand transit seats.

^^^

You are actually right. Almost all the buses say Riis Park now because the beach ridership has exploded and lots of people use to ask if the bus went to the beach. The trend I'm seeing now is the signs reading Riis Park until the bus gets there. I was on 3505 i think it was Monday and it said Riis Park, but when I got off at Riis I noticed it said 116. Other than that it may be for short turns also. There are a ton of people lined up for that bus in front of Target all day till about 4pm.

Lol the B49 off peak in tge AM is the granny cart express there are 5 on my bus right now! I hate how people bring them in and then that results in the bus taking 5 minutes to discharge the passengers when it's time to get off.

My home-line needs a limited!!!!!!! That is the worse bus ever for timing. If the Op doesn't pull off hot, he/she is screwed for the whole run! I've seen it too many time, and caught it home one night to find Acella Express driving so I went the whole run with him and we talked about it..... Horrible scheduling on that line! And you have a good amount of older people who use it and take twice as long to board if it's an RTS.

Well it's something that I've wrote numerous complaints to them about over the years.  They need to do a better job of listing the correct information.

Someone must have taken this little rant of mine to heart, VG8, because I just checked the (MTA) Bus status page and all mentions of the Gowanus Expressway construction are gone. It just bothers an old crank like me that something like that can remain posted for so long without anyone inside the agency noticing how incorrect the information was. Maybe I should apply for the position on the PR staff. At least I know where the Gowanus is located. Carry on.