BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was referring to the local bus drivers, obviously they got Prevost and new D4500CTs.

Oh yeah?  Well tell your fellow Staten Islanders to stop tearing down the local buses that they do get.  I hate to say it but Staten Island should've never received all of those orders of new local buses which they destroyed, especially the buses that run through areas of the North Shore (mainly north of Forest Avenue).  Whatever new buses they were to receive, they should've been given and not allowed to get their hands on so many different orders.  I was "privy" to seeing how they tore up those 38XXs a few years ago. I was appauled at the condition of the 38XXs when I rode one of them on the M34 before the line received artics.  Buses were FILTHY and worn out well before their time.  It's unfortunate, but the lines that pass through areas with housing projects (primarily on the North Shore usually below or north of Forest Avenue, as that's where most of the housing projects on SI are concentrated) are the worst, those being the S40 (housing projects along Richmond Terrace), S44 (sections of Cary Avenue west of Randall Manor/West Brighton), S52, S54 (below or north Forest Avenue and the Todt Hill projects), S46 (Mariners Harbor and Arlington), S48 (Port Richmond, Mariners Harbor and Arlington), S78 (housing projects).  I'm sure there are some others, but I've listed enough for now. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

anyone can answer my question please?

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/?p=734746

When everyone finish training there will a list of available depots on the board whoever has the lowest list number get to choose first. If by the time you choose and the depot you want is unavailable you have to pick whatever's there. The good thing about TA you only have to stay at a depot for three months and then you can pick a different one

I'd wait for an actual B/O to answer the question, but this is close.

Edited by GojiMet86

Yukon received plenty of brand new NGs between between 2008-2009 which they ran them into the ground as it was said before. Charleston on the other hand, I could understand because they got hand-me-down, beaten up, overrun local buses from other depots.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

If Staten Island does not deserve new bus...  What bus will Staten Island get to replace 1999 Orion5.... I know Staten Island wont able take care of Nova Bus LFS... The last one will be they will get New Flyer XD40.... I know Bronx already got Nova Bus LFS... I would rather let Kingsbridge Depot & Gun Hill Depot get New Flyer XD40... There no point for them getting another batch of Nova Bus LFS . When they have one ... That a Nova Bus LFS articulated...

If Staten Island does not deserve new bus...  What bus will Staten Island get to replace 1999 Orion5.... I know Staten Island wont able take care of Nova Bus LFS... The last one will be they will get New Flyer XD40.... I know Bronx already got Nova Bus LFS... I would rather let Kingsbridge Depot & Gun Hill Depot get New Flyer XD40... There no point for them getting another batch of Nova Bus LFS . When they have one ... That a Nova Bus LFS articulated...

The Bronx only have Nova LFSA's, not the 40 footer LFS.

I have no idea what any depot will get, but I see depots with big amounts of older buses getting high priority to recieve new buses. The Bronx has plenty of newer buses roaming around so I see Brooklyn & Queens getting new stuff while sending hybrids to Staten Island. That's just me though, we'll wait what happens.

Yukon received plenty of brand new NGs between between 2008-2009 which they ran them into the ground as it was said before. Charleston on the other hand, I could understand because they got hand-me-down, beaten up, overrun local buses from other depots.

The problem is that I'm not sure Charleston would do that great even with new buses. 

I don't know to be honest.  They'll probably give them something new though at some point because with the terrain on Staten Island, they need buses that can it up those hills.  That was one of the main reasons they received so many new buses was because the old ones that they had were in terrible shape and needed to be rehabbed and maintenance was so poor that they couldn't get buses repaired fast enough.

Staten Island can have the hybrids. It's basically Orion Island over there. 

Okay VG8 and anyone else who wants to tackle my question about the (MTA) web page. At this very moment if I go to mta.info and click on bus service status for Brooklyn (B1-B84) I come up with a myriad of bus routes supposedly affected by construction on the Gowanus Expressway. The first time I asked about this information VG8 and I came to the conclusion that perhaps an intern in the (MTA) PR department made a mistake.Perhaps we were wrong about that because the same info is back up at this time. Perhaps someone else has an idea about what's going on on the status page I referenced. As I pointed out the first time I asked many of these routes are not near, do not cross, and there is  nothing that obviously connects said routes to the expressway. Some of these routes are located in eastern Brooklyn. Perhaps there is some other connection with the B14, for example, that I'm missing? Perhaps a B/O or surface fan can clear this question up for me.Do B/Os work multiple routes across Brooklyn where this construction would cause delays on routes in eastern parts of the borough? Help me out folks. Carry on.

Okay VG8 and anyone else who wants to tackle my question about the (MTA) web page. At this very moment if I go to mta.info and click on bus service status for Brooklyn (B1-B84) I come up with a myriad of bus routes supposedly affected by construction on the Gowanus Expressway. The first time I asked about this information VG8 and I came to the conclusion that perhaps an intern in the (MTA) PR department made a mistake.Perhaps we were wrong about that because the same info is back up at this time. Perhaps someone else has an idea about what's going on on the status page I referenced. As I pointed out the first time I asked many of these routes are not near, do not cross, and there is  nothing that obviously connects said routes to the expressway. Some of these routes are located in eastern Brooklyn. Perhaps there is some other connection with the B14, for example, that I'm missing? Perhaps a B/O or surface fan can clear this question up for me.Do B/Os work multiple routes across Brooklyn where this construction would cause delays on routes in eastern parts of the borough? Help me out folks. Carry on.

LOL.... The real question is who puts up these status updates? When I lived on Staten Island, the detour information for the express buses was a mess, and I wrote in a few times to complain about it.  They tried to do better, but it still was a problem at times.  What is disturbing to me is that this is a transportation agency and they can't even provide accurate updates on information that they have in advance.  I find it completely inexcusable. 

Last week was a mess.  Con Ed was doing electrical work of some sort along the Henry Hudson Parkway West service road that forced the express buses to detour at Henry Hudson Parkway West & West 232nd.  However, the local buses remained on Henry Hudson Parkway West following the regular route.  Some days I saw a sign posted at the bus shelter, and other days nothing, but each day the express buses would turn on West 232nd and then head south on Independence, and then run the regular route at Kappock and Independence.  What was further troubling was that there was often times no status updates on the (MTA) website mentioning this detour.  On the days that they had the detour, they mentioned that the detour was for ALL buses going along Henry Hudson Parkway West, when in fact only express buses were affected by the detour.  Passengers waiting at that stop either almost missed their bus or in fact missed it.  One lady walked over to the corner of 232nd and Henry Hudson Parkway West anticipating that the local bus would turn there, but instead it kept going along the parkway and she missed her bus.  Mind you this was all during rush hour, so people were trying to get to work, or you had nurses trying to get home to the Bronx after a long shift in Riverdale, which was the case with this lady.

There's this one Ulmer Park express operator who always has his Prevost sign changed, a few days ago during rush hour I saw it say Bx9 Bronx Zoo, then today I saw it say LIRR Train to Hempstead. Why lol?

I think I know who you're referring to... He's moved up from the old MCI's.... I've seen him deadheading down 5th flying always, which is usually not possible during rush hour, but he somehow manages. lol He always has a different sign up.  I don't frequent that area as much now, as it was probably a few years ago that I saw him, but in any event, it's nice to know that he's still around.

I had a sick day today. Started off with an amazing B/O on the B6 Limited, then I rode the B15 to JFK, very cool route. Took the Q10 from there to Liberty Ave, and I'm saying to myself, this is my FIRST queens bus route, and it's my first ride on a D60, and it was pretty damn sick. Then I took the (A) for the first time in years, nice express part in Brooklyn, got to Jay St in 25mins.

I had a sick day today. Started off with an amazing B/O on the B6 Limited, then I rode the B15 to JFK, very cool route. Took the Q10 from there to Liberty Ave, and I'm saying to myself, this is my FIRST queens bus route, and it's my first ride on a D60, and it was pretty damn sick. Then I took the (A) for the first time in years, nice express part in Brooklyn, got to Jay St in 25mins.

lol... And you said you were giving up your hobby... So much for that... :lol:

Coming to my neck of the woods huh lol