BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3000 was in an accident recently. It hit a garbage truck.

But man, that bus is a tank, barely took any damage.

Of course... It's an MCI... 

Against a car, that's understandable.

But head-on with a GARBAGE TRUCK? Those front ends are usually smashed in!

K4al6Iw.jpg

Sorry for the crappy quality (as I was driving by when I took the pic) but 3000 (last on right) is parked tonight in Northeastern Bus Rebuilders' Deer Park lot.  This bus wasn't there when I drove by on Friday (a couple of SCT buses, (MTA) 3329 and an unidentified bus with heavy damage wrapped in a tarp).,I passed turned around and took a pic as I passed, the damage is looks much worse in person, my first reaction was "f--k, what did you hit?  A quick search here revealed the accident with the garbage truck....  As you might be able to make out in the pic the windshield is broken, front bashed in (not too bad), with damage to the fenders, passenger door, and mirror.  I assume the bus was towed (or put on a lowboy) to Deer Park?

Anyone know how hard the bus was going when it hit the garbage truck?  A tank?  Yes, but it still looks like a pretty hard hit (20-30mph, not a tap lol) the pic doesn't do the damage justice.

K4al6Iw.jpg

Sorry for the crappy quality (as I was driving by when I took the pic) but 3000 (last on right) is parked tonight in Northeastern Bus Rebuilders' Deer Park lot. This bus wasn't there when I drove by on Friday (a couple of SCT buses, (MTA) 3329 and an unidentified bus with heavy damage wrapped in a tarp).,I passed turned around and took a pic as I passed, the damage is looks much worse in person, my first reaction was "f--k, what did you hit? A quick search here revealed the accident with the garbage truck.... As you might be able to make out in the pic the windshield is broken, front bashed in (not too bad), with damage to the fenders, passenger door, and mirror. I assume the bus was towed (or put on a lowboy) to Deer Park?

Anyone know how hard the bus was going when it hit the garbage truck? A tank? Yes, but it still looks like a pretty hard hit (20-30mph, not a tap lol) the pic doesn't do the damage justice.

Zerega must be really backed up for them to have sourced that out. I've watched them fix way worse. With grand ave, its understandable because they don't have a parking lot and there is only 1 accident repair bay.

I was surprised the accident happened in April and it looks like the bus hasn't been touched... Do (MTA) buses usually go over 3 months before being having anything done with them?  I mean this bus has a door that doesn't close and a broken windshield that's left the bus open to the elements, not tarp, plastic nothing...  Aren't they afraid of water damage or anything in 3 months?

Why would a bus sit so long without being fixed?  Could the (MTA) wait for insurance money (assuming the other party is at fault)? Could the bus have been impounded by the DOT or city for a safety check after the accident?  What?

The other bus that you said was in a tarp might be either 3218 (fire damage) or either 3180/3185(forgot the number, it hit something in Manhattan)

It didn't look like fire damage and it didn't look like an (MTA) bus, I was thinking one of the Brooklyn Jewish buses, PANYNJ bus, or some other bus at the airport (Delta, parking, car rental)...

I'm in that area once a week, I can try to swing by and get a pic next week...

To the BM1 driver I had that went super express today... That was messed up.

(I don't think it was a case of missing the exit either, because we were on the left lane of the FDR dr the entire time.... made no effort to get off at the pearl st exit)

If there were anyone in lower manhattan at that PM peak hour (for that trip in question) that needed the BM1 (especially to mill basin/bergen beach), that meant they had to wait a whole 'nother hour.....

Edited by B35 via Church

The majority of RTS Jamaica Depot has all says MTA BUS from 8798 till 9336

Btw, how small is the depot?

It is not a majority of them just a few. The reason there are so many with MTA bus on them is because they swap buses with LGA quite often and fix up their buses. Then they just don't bother to change them. Jamaica depot is not small but the lot is pretty small. Just search google maps in Jamaica for Merrick Blvd and South Road and find the building and you should see it.

(I don't think it was a case of missing the exit either, because we were on the left lane of the FDR dr the entire time.... made no effort to get off at the pearl st exit)

If there were anyone in lower manhattan at that PM peak hour (for that trip in question) that needed the BM1 (especially to mill basin/bergen beach), that meant they had to wait a whole 'nother hour.....

LOL... Those Spring Creek drivers are a trip... Some of them do it on weekends too...

Well, ain't that interesting. 

With the exception of the QM8, you can't do a super express run like that in Queens, nor in the Bronx.

If I was someone in that position, after the 20 minute late mark, I would just call in, unless I know there's major delays.

Well, ain't that interesting. 

With the exception of the QM8, you can't do a super express run like that in Queens, nor in the Bronx.

If I was someone in that position, after the 20 minute late mark, I would just call in, unless I know there's major delays.

LOL... I most certainly did just that one Saturday when this BM3 driver was playing games. I was asking a gazillion questions about that bus and the person on the phone at Spring Creek sure as hell knew that I knew that some BS was going on. She was like oh well the BM's are on detour, so I told her well if that's the case then all of the BM's coming down 5th should be late, but so far all of them have been on time and have passed save the BM3 so what gives? I then mentioned how the bus was on BusTime and then suddenly "disappeared" so something fishy was going on and that I was going to report it.

Wow thats so weird most of the drivers I get on the BM3 are not like that some of thwm are too much by the book, like when I was the only passenger and the guy wouldn't go through belt pkwy ( I needed Bedford) but I don't blame him for that. I have never noticed SC drivers to pull that kind of shit, maybe I have not been riding long enough I only started riding last year

Wow thats so weird most of the drivers I get on the BM3 are not like that some of thwm are too much by the book, like when I was the only passenger and the guy wouldn't go through belt pkwy ( I needed Bedford) but I don't blame him for that. I have never noticed SC drivers to pull that kind of shit, maybe I have not been riding long enough I only started riding last year

I've been riding the BM3 since 2007 if not earlier, and it really depends on the driver. I had one guy who would drop me right by my barber and would take a shortcut since no one else was getting off along Emmons. Edited by Via Garibaldi 8