BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Meh, I live in the Bronx and I've only went to Orchard Beach a handful of times. I like the quasi subway station they have over there, the whole setup reminds looks like a bus version of the South Ferry loop (1) station  :lol:.

Then what's all of the service for?  I mean in Brooklyn, folks use the B49 for the beach but it isn't a daily thing and I don't think they have tons of extra service like they do on the Bx12.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then what's all of the service for?  I mean in Brooklyn, folks use the B49 for the beach but it isn't a daily thing and I don't think they have tons of extra service like they do on the Bx12.

Tons of extra service and a split depot route on the weekends too (KB helps out with the Beach service)... Although the beefed up service is indeed warranted solely because some of the buses go the whole way to Inwood and because people like taking their damn coolers and umbrellas on the bus.

First day of the pick (Sunday) already looks to be a washout though. Saturday looks to be the better day but since it's still Spring pick, folks get mostly shuttle buses to PBP and sparse through service to/from Fordham and nothing out of 207.

Orchard Beach is the only beach in the Bronx where as in Brooklyn you have Coney Island stealing the traffic that could otherwise head to Manhattan Beach. In fact I don't go to the beach in the city because I don't particularly like Orchard and the others are unreasonably far from the North Bronx using public transit. Orchard Beach is frequented by those who mainly take public transit and buses are the only option so you need to beef up service on weekends when you'll have the big crowds. On weekdays the Bx12 local doesn't run all that often so the extra beach service is only for the weekend crowd. Lots of teenagers head to Orchard to just socialize so that's addresses your other question on whether the people heading there work. Not many adults are heading there on weekdays.

Rode the M79 for the first time. Got a D60. Right behind me was an O7.

lol... The M79... I use to ride that bus a lot on Saturdays when I lived on Staten Island.  Would go from Zabar's on the Upper West Side to Agata & Valentina on the East Side.  Quite a few good restaurants near 79th as well.  Now that I'm in Riverdale I have easy access to both areas, so no need for M79.    

So theres 4 X14's on water street right now, plus one more ahead on Battery Place. Dispatch should be able to see this and send at least 1 or two of those X14's bypassing downtown. I dont think theres a need for 4 of them, even of the waits before were long. Perhaps have 2 buses run on Water Street, and the other two bypass them.

So theres 4 X14's on water street right now, plus one more ahead on Battery Place. Dispatch should be able to see this and send at least 1 or two of those X14's bypassing downtown. I dont think theres a need for 4 of them, even of the waits before were long. Perhaps have 2 buses run on Water Street, and the other two bypass them.

Traffic is once again HORRIBLE.  I think I might've gotten the first BxM18 tonight and I got on the bus well after 18:00. lol I got home a little after 19:00 but both the Deegan and the Harlem River Drive were parking lots.  We took the side road went under the Deegan until about 153rd or so, then slid in that way, finally busting out from the backlog from the GWB but even after that there was still some traffic.  Guy did a good job.  There was another BxM18 right behind that one at Canal St. that apparently got caught on the Deegan and didn't use any shortcuts so I'm glad I got him. Got right on the bus as soon as I made it to the stop.

huh all the ta documents said it starts on the 28th? what changed? :huh:

By the way, for those that keep saying that the 86SBS is on Sunday.....

....it starts on July 13th.

Good question... It says June 28th everywhere on line....

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Don't you love inconsistent bus service....

Once again, the Q28 has been terrible.

I wanted to go to the movie theater at Bay Terrace, and my stop, which is along the beginning of the Bayside stretch of the route (the other side of Francis Lewis Blvd), is quite far from Flushing. Why would I say that? Because on bus time, the next bus just left Flushing. So, knowing that I'd miss my two hour transfer from before (had to go home to get something), I decided to walk there. I checked on the Q28 when I arrived, finding that the next bus was only at the stop that I am supposed to get on. At 4:00, the start of rush hour, that is unacceptable.

Once again, Q28 service proves to be terrible. My mom waited 35 mins the other day on the Q28 in the middle of rush hour, for three buses to come and crawl the way home. 

Something has to be done, the bus service on this line has gotten terrible over the past year or two. Buses used to arrive on time towards Bay Terrace, now, one bus can be just leaving Flushing while the next one is at Bay Terrace. Just to piss me off even more, when I take the bus to Flushing, I see buses towards Bay Terrace 2-3 times before one towards Flushing arrives.

lol... The M79... I use to ride that bus a lot on Saturdays when I lived on Staten Island.  Would go from Zabar's on the Upper West Side to Agata & Valentina on the East Side.  Quite a few good restaurants near 79th as well.  Now that I'm in Riverdale I have easy access to both areas, so no need for M79.    

Lol...the best part was when it hauled ass on the Transverse