BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

eh, I'm bored....

The Manhattan map....

I think the issue with the coloring stems from the crosstowns.... The crosstowns that cut through Central Park should all be reserved for orange..... Also, the M8, 21, 22, and 23 should all be one color (I would also choose orange for those routes).... Either that, or have the M8, 21, 22, 23, 50, and the central park crosstowns all be lime green, and change the color of the M14's (which IMO, should be 2 separate colors anyway) to some other color than lime green....

So yeah, there is too much color variation with the crosstowns.

--------

The color purple (not the movie either... lol).... Having the 2/3 the same color makes sense, having the M9 & M103 the same color however, does not -  you're right..... With what I said above about the crosstowns, I would make the 103 skyblue, which would not interfere with the M100 - since it's plainly seen that the 100 goes well east of there the 103 terminates along 125th.....

On the west side, there should be some color variance with the M1, M5, M12, M20, and M42; all 5 of those routes should not be the same color... Since red is so conspicuous/dominant on the map, the routes colored red should be more spread out throughout the map, and not in one clusterf*ck on the west side at & below Columbus Circle like it currently is...

There's more I want to say, but I'll stop here & see what you have to say about what's been said thus far.....

Sup B35.

I have not given this subject as much thought as you have. Five routes being the same and running so close together like that is weird. So it goes..good ideas regarding many of the X-towns being one color. I only looked at the M103 and M9 because I wanted to get to the Municipal Building using a bus from Uptown and while studying the map I noticed the glaring oversight that made the M9 and M103 look like one thing by City Hall, complete with NO TERMINAL BOX for the M103.

I used an X-M15 (M15 SBS but now I want to refer to SBS lines using X- followed by the borough and route #), getting off at Madison-Catherine. Then I took a long walk to the Municipal Bldg. I did not need Google transit directions to tell me how insanely slow and trafficated Lexington is and therefore how bad an idea it would have been to ride an M103 from Uptown to City Hall instead of an X-M15 since I had to get down there by a certain time. The travel time on the Lexington buses is really something though. That %^$* is no joke.

Or I guess you could say the travel time is, for want of a better word, pathetic and thus actually is a joke.

2hnry8x.png

Welp, continuing where we left off...

Sup B35.

I have not given this subject as much thought as you have. Five routes being the same and running so close together like that is weird. So it goes..good ideas regarding many of the X-towns being one color. I only looked at the M103 and M9 because I wanted to get to the Municipal Building using a bus from Uptown and while studying the map I noticed the glaring oversight that made the M9 and M103 look like one thing by City Hall, complete with NO TERMINAL BOX for the M103.

I used an X-M15 (M15 SBS but now I want to refer to SBS lines using X- followed by the borough and route #), getting off at Madison-Catherine. Then I took a long walk to the Municipal Bldg. I did not need Google transit directions to tell me how insanely slow and trafficated Lexington is and therefore how bad an idea it would have been to ride an M103 from Uptown to City Hall instead of an X-M15 since I had to get down there by a certain time. The travel time on the Lexington buses is really something though. That %^$* is no joke.

Or I guess you could say the travel time is, for want of a better word, pathetic and thus actually is a joke.

2hnry8x.png

Welp, continuing where we left off...

Well being that I've made (my own) custom maps before, I know how important coloring is.... Otherwise, I wouldn't have given it too much thought.... Or to be real here, wouldn't give a shit... Lol.

The gaffe with the lack of a terminal box on the M103 is a good catch... MTA's been prone to such mistakes (or in this case, omissions) in the past; quite sure there's been threads/discussions on them on here & on subchat as well....

Now that you mention it, the lines that have SBS on them should not automatically be reserved for blue..... Before SBS, the M15 was colored skyblue (for the longest)... I believe the Bx41 was red, the Bx12 & B44 were purple, don't remember what the S79 was.... Regardless, what I'd propose is dashed-dotted lines adjacent to the solid lines for the routes that have SBS... The solid line (representing local/non-SBS service) would be on the inner portion of the total line, and the dashed-dotted line would be on the outer portion of the total line...

example of what I'm trying to describe:

On the left: standard/local service....

On the right: a route with SBS & local service

orLH15C.png_______________________ DcV3NCF.png

(note: SBS icon placement does not reflect actual "M15" stop listings on the blank map - this is for illustrative purposes only)

========================

As for travel times on the Lex routes, don't get me started.... I took the M103 from 30th to Bayard st (chinatown) yesterday... things were going smooth (somewhat), until we hit Houston st... Needless to say, the ride went downhill from there.... Was almost on that bus for 45 mins.

Edited by B35 via Church

Since when did they move the soutbound Q67/B62 stop at QBP? Just got off the bus to see they moved the stop to the opposite side of 42 Road. The fact that its hidden behind two trees does nothing for me, as well as the fact that there's nothing on it on the MTA website.

EDIT: So the driver on the B62 said that the stop change happened 2 weeks ago. If thats the case, seriously MTA?

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

The S79 was purple until 2012...

alright, cool.....

Since when did they move the soutbound Q67/B62 stop at QBP? Just got off the bus to see they moved the stop to the opposite side of 42 Road. The fact that its hidden behind two trees does nothing for me, as well as the fact that there's nothing on it on the MTA website.

EDIT: So the driver on the B62 said that the stop change happened 2 weeks ago. If thats the case, seriously MTA?

Around the corner from the Q39 first pickup stop? That is definitely something new......

I mean, smfh, what construction is set to kickoff now.... And where will this eventually leave the Q100 (regardless of the fact that I strongly oppose of the Q100's first stop should being over there along Jackson anyway).....

I suppose they could have gave riders a head up on the site.... However, personally, I'm not blaming the MTA - But I am growing sick of all this construction all over the city (in general), if that's infact the case..... In any case, I can't see that as being a permanent move......

Minimally, the current dropoff only stop (on 28th at Queens Plz. south) should be a pickup & dropoff stop, like it used to be....

That should have never been changed (for the B62), and the Q67 should have been picking up there as well from the start.....

alright, cool.....

Around the corner from the Q39 first pickup stop? That is definitely something new......

I mean, smfh, what construction is set to kickoff now.... And where will this eventually leave the Q100 (regardless of the fact that I strongly oppose of the Q100's first stop should being over there along Jackson anyway).....

I suppose they could have gave riders a head up on the site.... However, personally, I'm not blaming the MTA - But I am growing sick of all this construction all over the city (in general), if that's infact the case..... In any case, I can't see that as being a permanent move......

Minimally, the current dropoff only stop (on 28th at Queens Plz. south) should be a pickup & dropoff stop, like it used to be....

That should have never been changed (for the B62), and the Q67 should have been picking up there as well from the start.....

Yeah, it's not suppose to be permanent, as there will be construction going on (what exactly, I have no idea). The only good thing is the street benches and the shade (which the bus shelter did not provide, it's good for this time of year). 

As for the Q67, I don't understand why, on most trips I've taken, the drivers for some reason drop-off at Jackson Avenue/42 Road, and do not take whatever remaining riders there are up to QPS. It's a PITA having to walk two extra blocks because the drivers don't wanna go up. I think I've been on only one Q67 in which the driver has taken me up to QPS instead of leaving me on Jackson (when I used to catch the subway). Now that I take the B62, it's not really a problem, but still, walking up to QPS from 42/Jackson, and then having to walk up a block more, and the even longer walk to get up to the platform can get really annoying. One time (long ago) the train took forever getting to QBP, and missing the bus meant an hour wait, and I needed to get to the Q67 stop from the station in about 4 minutes. Not pleasant at all.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Wonders what the following scenario would look like: Terminating all Bx12 buses (local and select) at Pelham Bay on the eastern end and running a separate route along the current select routing from Bay Plaza to Pelham Bay.

Pelham Bay would be one hot mess with literally thousands of additional people transferring between buses within the span of only an hour unnecessarily.

If anything, some of the locals should be extended to Bay Plaza during the weekends and maybe a couple of trips during rush hours too. Let's see if they got it right with the Bx5 weekend extension and see if that takes some of the load off the Bx12.

B84 bus needs an extended route its empty all the time and only run 30 minute intervals its like a shuttle n we need a bus to get people from e flatbush , flatbush to gateway

That's the purpose. It's a shuttle between New Lots Ave and Gateway. No need for the B84 to warrant service into Flatbush.

You have the B103 for that.  MAYBE AN EXTENSION to Canarsie/Rockaway Parkway (L), and even that would be issue..

Is East New York or Fresh Pond running that B84 shuttle?

Looks like the M101 is borrowing Hybrids from MCH now. Why is TUSK experiencing "shortages" on artics a lot now? Hopefully with the M86 SBS coming soon (even though I doubt it), artics can be freed and go to the Lexington and Third Avenue buses.

Also, got crushed by this big ass woman that took up two seats and sat next to me (I was on top of the window) and almost missed my stop because she took like almost all of my walking space away. Next time, if you are that big, ask if you can sit down instead of jamming through to find a seat.

That's the purpose. It's a shuttle between New Lots Ave and Gateway. No need for the B84 to warrant service into Flatbush.

You have the B103 for that.  MAYBE AN EXTENSION to Canarsie/Rockaway Parkway (L), and even that would be issue..

Is East New York or Fresh Pond running that B84 shuttle?

i guess aint like its gonna be extended anyway

Looks like the M101 is borrowing Hybrids from MCH now. Why is TUSK experiencing "shortages" on artics a lot now? Hopefully with the M86 SBS coming soon (even though I doubt it), artics can be freed and go to the Lexington and Third Avenue buses.

Also, got crushed by this big ass woman that took up two seats and sat next to me (I was on top of the window) and almost missed my stop because she took like almost all of my walking space away. Next time, if you are that big, ask if you can sit down instead of jamming through to find a seat.

It's that time of the year where artics take a beating to the summer heat.

Edited by Cait Sith

I always take buses for short distances and usually stand or take a bus when I know a pack of them are coming, this way I avoid having to sit next to anyone, and if the bus does become crowded, I can just stand.  It's a rarity when I am sitting next to anyone and I make it rather clear that I don't want anyone next to me either.  Aside from that I'm a tall guy so I need my leg room.  The hell with that. 

It's that time of the year where artics take a beating to the summer heat.

Why would they purchase buses that can't deal with various types of climate conditions? Rather ridiculous.  Those buses cost a pretty pennty (a few hundred thousand a piece).

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I always take buses for short distances and usually stand or take a bus when I know a pack of them are coming, this way I avoid having to sit next to anyone, and if the bus does become crowded, I can just stand.  It's a rarity when I am sitting next to anyone and I make it rather clear that I don't want anyone next to me either.  Aside from that I'm a tall guy so I need my leg room.  The hell with that. 

Why would they purchase buses that can't deal with various types of climate conditions? Rather ridiculous.  Those buses cost a pretty pennty (a few hundred thousand a piece).

All buses, no matter if they're artics or 40fters or coaches will eventually break down from the heat.

Of course, but you gave the impression that these buses in particular are susceptible.  Is that the case?

In some cases, yes, particularly the older artics. But the breakdowns also occur on the new ones. When you have high temperatures + an engine that may already be hot, it doesn't end well. Those Tuskegee buses go through areas that are rather hilly and adds even more strain to the artics.

In some cases, yes, particularly the older artics. But the breakdowns also occur on the new ones. When you have high temperatures + an engine that may already be hot, it doesn't end well. Those Tuskegee buses go through areas that are rather hilly and adds even more strain to the artics.

Good points... I completely forgot about the old artics.  My concern was about the new artics, and if they are more susceptible than other buses, it would be foolish to buy hundreds more of them.