BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

The times that I used the X42 it always went via 23rd.  If it used Houston Street that must've been a long time ago.  That setup allows the X12 to start at 23rd.

The x42 actually used to take Houston st to the FDR......

What you're describing about the allowing of x12's to start at 23rd, used to happen at Worth st with the x12....

(in other words, Worth st was a short turn for the 12, instead of 23rd)

The current setup of x42's running via 23rd makes far more sense.... They didn't need x12's and x42's picking up riders b/w 23rd & Houston; the 12 by itself is capable of doing that.... As such, the x42 is more popular now..... Also, the x12 was just as utilized in midtown as it was in lower manhattan, so having some x12 trips serve lower manhattan only wasn't cutting it.... The idea overall was to (try to) reel in more riders onto the "express" x42....

My thing was, how "express" was it really, by having buses lag along Houston st, and running to SI from Houston.....

You get a better deal (more time saved) from having x42's run nonstop from 23rd.....

I have a question. When did the X42 stop using Houston Street and use 23 Street in both directions.

Believe that happened with the rest of those 2004 changes... You know, along with the Q27 extension to Cambria Hgts - 120th, the Bx55 cut back to Fordham plz. on weekends, etc...

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The x42 actually used to take Houston st to the FDR......

What you're describing about the allowing of x12's to start at 23rd, used to happen at Worth st with the x12....

(in other words, Worth st was a short turn for the 12, instead of 23rd)

The current setup of x42's running via 23rd makes far more sense.... They didn't need x12's and x42's picking up riders b/w 23rd & Houston; the 12 by itself is capable of doing that.... As such, the x42 is more popular now..... Also, the x12 was just as utilized in midtown as it was in lower manhattan, so having some x12 trips serve lower manhattan only wasn't cutting it.... The idea overall was to (try to) reel in more riders onto the "express" x42....

My thing was, how "express" was it really, by having buses lag along Houston st, and running to SI from Houston.....

You get a better deal (more time saved) from having x42's run nonstop from 23rd.....

Believe that happened with the rest of those 2004 changes... You know, along with the Q27 extension to Cambria Hgts - 120th, the Bx55 cut back to Fordham plz. on weekends, etc...

The only problem I had with the X42 was it stopped running too damn early.  I used to get car service in the morning when I wanted to sleep in later and also in the evenings when I left the office later from Slosson and Victory, and the X12 was great.  Nice and quick. The X42 got caught up in traffic a lot along 57th, but when I could get it, it was fast and always had a nice load. As for your other comment, definitely makes more sense with the current set up.  They've actually expanded the X12 to run a bit longer, but the X42 hasn't seen any improvements for whatever reason.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

The only problem I had with the X42 was it stopped running too damn early.  I used to get car service in the morning when I wanted to sleep in later and also in the evenings when I left the office later from Slosson and Victory, and the X12 was great.  Nice and quick. The X42 got caught up in traffic a lot along 57th, but when I could get it, it was fast and always had a nice load. As for your other comment, definitely makes more sense with the current set up.  They've actually expanded the X12 to run a bit longer, but the X42 hasn't seen any improvements for whatever reason.

Funny enough, even though I speak as a routefanner in this case, that was the same problem I had with the x42 (ending too early)....

I've said for quite some time now that the MTA is sitting on a goldmine with the x42 & doesn't realize it....

That is how it used to be back in 2005 and 2006 when PBL and MTA Buses used to be ad wrapped all the time. Some had like whole bus wrappings especially the RTS where the back would also have something.

Honestly, the (MTA) should go back to rear wraps on local buses, but also on Express buses. Haven't seen a prevost have a rear wrap or an actual ad.

MTA Service Status

Service Change

Posted: 07/04/2015 6:08PM

BM1, BM2, BM3 and BM4 westbound buses are detoured due to the Macy's Fireworks Celebration.

Detour is as follows:

Westbound: Exit Hugh Carey Tunnel onto West St, merge onto 10 Av, right on 23 St, left on Madison Av to regular route.

Eastbound: Via 23 St, right on 2 Av, right on E 14 St, right on 10 Av, left on W 15 St, left on 11 Av to West St and continue until Hugh Carey Tunnel entrance.

There will be no downtown service along detoured route.

Allow additional travel time.

------------------------------------------

That's one hell of a detour!

There's a couple of unannounced detours. M15 SBS and locals are short turning at Grand Street(or Delancey). M9s are operating via Bowery and Grand Street going Northbound. I also spotted some M14As running via Canal and Allen Streets.

Funny enough, even though I speak as a routefanner in this case, that was the same problem I had with the x42 (ending too early)....

I've said for quite some time now that the MTA is sitting on a goldmine with the x42 & doesn't realize it....

Oh they realize it.  They just have an attitude that they don't want to expand service on the North Shore.  When you look at the amount of express bus service that's been expanded on the South Shore over the few years it's disgusting.  The North Shore hasn't received any restorations of express bus service, nor new routes or expansions. The only thing they've done is added an X10 here and there, but they are not running service any later.  The people that need the service are forced to take the X1, which does nothing but boosts their ridership, thus giving them more opportunities for service increases.

When I was staying in the city with my family over the weekend I saw at least two M103 "SBS" buses lol.

I guess it's not just a Bronx thing then, because in the Bronx I'd see Bx22 and Bx39 "SBS" buses too.

There's no M86 SBS yet, so they're running the wrapped buses on the regular lines.

I had an interesting ride on the X9 earlier this afternoon. We when got to 23rd, the B/O made a left turn onto Madison, then went east on 24th and then went down Park Av.

Fast forward to the WFC, instead of making that left to go into the HLC Tunnel, we went a block further south and made a turn into Church Street and then went through the tunnel.

The bus was 2884. It felt good to ride an MCI again.

Now that's funny... Most Bx7's are packed to the rafters.... I think I've used that line two or three times in the years that I've been living here and that was to accompany someone from my place back down the hill.

I think I got lucky on my ride. Going up there, the ride was a bit long due to traffic on the Broadway Bridge and our bus was fully seated, but it emptied out after 231 St. Coming back now, the ride was relatively quick as I caught the 21:55 trip and got off at 225 St and took the (1).

Funny story, I had thought about taking the MNRR to Marble Hill and catching the Bx7, but since my friend and I met up in Harlem earlier than we planned, We took the (A) to 207 St and just took the Bx7 from there.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

I think I got lucky on my ride. Going up there, the ride was a bit long due to traffic on the Broadway Bridge and our bus was fully seated, but it emptied out after 231 St. Coming back now, the ride was relatively quick as I caught the 21:55 trip and got off at 225 St and took the (1).

Funny story, I had thought about taking the MNRR to Marble Hill and catching the Bx7, but since my friend and I met up in Harlem earlier than we planned, We took the (A) to 207 St and just took the Bx7 from there.

I don't see the Bx7 often unless I get a Super Express bus at Riverdale Av and 236th, or I get the Hudson Rail Link bus over there.  I tend to stay west of Riverdale Avenue along Henry Hudson Parkway.  For whatever reason I see more Bx10s along the parkway than Bx7s when waiting for the express bus. Folks that live or work in Central Riverdale usually opt for the Bx7. Late nights there seems to be a lot more Bx10 shuttle buses, though I do see some Isham buses.