BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's how the ADA law works.

Wait so that means you can't skip a wheelchair passenger but normal passengers can get skipped? Isn't that a bit unfair?

It makes sense because B/Os in the past have purposely passed wheelchair passengers even though they had space on their bus to accommodate them because they didn't want to be bothered with pick up leaving those people stranded and frustrated.  Now that boarding with wheelchair passengers has been made easier (at least on the local buses), passengers generally are a bit more willing to wait (B/Os included).  I only wish they reconfigured the express buses.  The last time we had a wheelchair on the BxM10, that bus was almost an hour late.  We sat for about 20 minutes for the pick up and another 20 minutes for the drop off. The driver couldn't properly operate the lift and had to go back and forth trying to figure out how to get the thing to work. People were annoyed to say the least.  You also have buses that sometimes breakdown (MCIs in particular) and if the bus is only hourly, then that is also rather annoying.  Has happened to me on the BxM4.  They don't send out replacement buses either in most cases, so then you're stuck waiting another hour for the next bus.

Hey, the O5 and the O5 CNG are too wildly different animals, even when they're both rocking DD50s...maybe I can hope a little that the XN40s will be as fun.

Well, yeah. They were spec'd far different from what the TA would spec 'em.

Seeing as how the MTA is in control of this order, they won't be that much different aside from the new scheme and the transmission. Most of the specs will probably be the same.

Edited by Cait Sith

Well, yeah. They were spec'd far different from what the TA would spec 'em.

Seeing as how the MTA is in control of this order, they won't be that much different aside from the new scheme and the transmission. Most of the specs will probably be the same.

Even the TA order was entertaining though! Before they were limping over at MTAB, the JG buses were pretty decent too. Maybe it's just the noise of the CNG DD50 that's so great.

Even the TA order was entertaining though! Before they were limping over at MTAB, the JG buses were pretty decent too. Maybe it's just the noise of the CNG DD50 that's so great.

The TA ones were awful, very sluggish, well after they got re-powered at least, I don't remember the days when they had the L10.

I remember riding one on the B11 back then and driver floored it and the bus hardly moved.. and the bus was empty!

There weren't any wheelchair passengers on that particular trip but I would assume he could have skipped them too. The bus was insanely packed with people standing in the doorways. He would have had to kick half the bus off to fit the wheelchair.

That's literally what happened

It makes sense because B/Os in the past have purposely passed wheelchair passengers even though they had space on their bus to accommodate them because they didn't want to be bothered with pick up leaving those people stranded and frustrated.  Now that boarding with wheelchair passengers has been made easier (at least on the local buses), passengers generally are a bit more willing to wait (B/Os included).  I only wish they reconfigured the express buses.  The last time we had a wheelchair on the BxM10, that bus was almost an hour late.  We sat for about 20 minutes for the pick up and another 20 minutes for the drop off. The driver couldn't properly operate the lift and had to go back and forth trying to figure out how to get the thing to work. People were annoyed to say the least.  You also have buses that sometimes breakdown (MCIs in particular) and if the bus is only hourly, then that is also rather annoying.  Has happened to me on the BxM4.  They don't send out replacement buses either in most cases, so then you're stuck waiting another hour for the next bus.

A lot of operators struggle using wheelchair lifts on high floor buses.

Those R179s finally coming in made everyone forget about the new XN40s  :lol:

Not me lol, I'm just waiting for the day they arrive at West Farms!!!

Nah, I'm still waiting on the XN40s. The R179 are new and all, but they're almost similar to the R160s. Not too interested, lol (but it's fun to read the conversations in the R179 thread at times).

Same here. Only thing that is interesting about the R179s is the propulsion. Otherwise just an R160 being held back for 5 years.

XN40s though, almost something I never saw before. Plus I have a good chance to catch one since I live and go to school near a CNG route.

Plus the R179s will only enter service in 2017, whereas the XN40s will probably enter service a lot sooner.

That's how the ADA law works.

Couldn't they argue that if the next bus is less than 30 minutes away (which is often the case in NYC), they could wait for the next bus.

I remember on the S44, we left the ferry about 7-8 minutes late and crowded, and then some woman in a wheelchair argued to get on at Jersey Street. By Broadway, the following S44 had caught up to us, and eventually passed us, and meanwhile, this woman was going all the way to Victory Blvd, which meant she slowed everybody else down including herself by insisting on getting on the first bus.

Another time, a similar situation occurred, and the passenger saw the bus was crowded and waved for the B/O to keep moving and he would take the next bus.

On the flip side of the coin, I remember one time (one of the few times I really feel I should've reported a B/O on her behalf), a woman was wearing a yellow safety vest and waiting at a bus stop for the S74 in her motorized wheelchair, and the B/O passes her. She makes her way to the traffic light where the B/O was stopped and the B/O says "I didn't see you" and pulls off without even attempting to wait at the next stop.

Couldn't they argue that if the next bus is less than 30 minutes away (which is often the case in NYC), they could wait for the next bus.

I remember on the S44, we left the ferry about 7-8 minutes late and crowded, and then some woman in a wheelchair argued to get on at Jersey Street. By Broadway, the following S44 had caught up to us, and eventually passed us, and meanwhile, this woman was going all the way to Victory Blvd, which meant she slowed everybody else down including herself by insisting on getting on the first bus.

Another time, a similar situation occurred, and the passenger saw the bus was crowded and waved for the B/O to keep moving and he would take the next bus.

On the flip side of the coin, I remember one time (one of the few times I really feel I should've reported a B/O on her behalf), a woman was wearing a yellow safety vest and waiting at a bus stop for the S74 in her motorized wheelchair, and the B/O passes her. She makes her way to the traffic light where the B/O was stopped and the B/O says "I didn't see you" and pulls off without even attempting to wait at the next stop.

Nope, accommodations must be made at all times. If you're the first bus at the stop, they fall on you.

I smh when I hear people kiss their teeth when a wheelchair passenger boards.....

In my area specifically, it's these wretched west indian women doing it.... Some of these old miserable asses need to be PUT in a wheelchair & bypassed by a city b/o or left stranded by an access-a-ride whenever they need a ride on top of it....

Whenever I take a city bus, I'm never in THAT much of a rush to where the onloading (and offloading) of a wheelchair passenger would affect me...... I like to see the lift/ramp in action anyway - esp. on the express buses (since it's even less common than on locals)....

I smh when I hear people kiss their teeth when a wheelchair passenger boards.....

In my area specifically, it's these wretched west indian women doing it.... Some of these old miserable asses need to be PUT in a wheelchair & bypassed by a city b/o or left stranded by an access-a-ride whenever they need a ride on top of it....

Whenever I take a city bus, I'm never in THAT much of a rush to where the onloading (and offloading) of a wheelchair passenger would affect me...... I like to see the lift/ramp in action anyway - esp. on the express buses (since it's even less common than on locals)....

I don't mind them for the most part, but I do wish that the B/Os knew how to use the damn things on the express buses.  We get quite a few disabled folks on the Riverdale express buses, particularly the BxM2.  I have never had one on the BxM18, and only once or twice on the BxM1.  At times we've had two wheelchairs.  

There's an Asian guy that has rode for years and he seems to like going into the city on Sunday nights for one reason or another.  He'll get a late bus into the city and take a late bus back to Riverdale. Must live in North Riverdale or perhaps Yonkers, but for whatever reason, it always takes about 20 minutes to get him taken care of... I think the worst incident was when this large lady was on the BxM2.  Must've boarded at the first stop.  Her legs had to be elevated which meant she basically blocked the entire aisle, and you know that didn't sit well with the folks getting on.   :lol: The B/O was so nervous because he knew that someone could write in and report the incident but there wasn't much he could do. I cut him some slack because I knew him and he is very courteous overall despite him almost aiding in me getting run over for not having pulled the bus into the curb fully once on the BxM1. <_<  He eventually moved her wheelchair slightly so that the aisle wasn't as blocked, but eventually it came to a head when she had to get off at 230th and Broadway.  It took so long to get her off that people started getting quite irritated. Had to be almost half an hour. Some folks got off and walked the rest of the way and made sure to give the B/O a piece of their mind in the process. Personally I was bewildered as to why she wasn't taking Access-A-Ride, given her condition.   

The only time I've ever seen the wheelchair lift used on the express bus was one time I was on the BxM3. Somebody got on at Sedgwick/Webb to Manhattan, and it didn't take that long to load the passenger in. There weren't many people anyways, so it really wasn't an issue. 

The BxM7 is also a route I feel could be 24/7 I've used the route late night about a month ago with a friend to go back to my car parked in The Bronx and the bus was packed at like 1am might have been the last bus not sure. Have they looked into that? The X1 is used a lot as well I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The BxM7 is also a route I feel could be 24/7 I've used the route late night about a month ago with a friend to go back to my car parked in The Bronx and the bus was packed at like 1am might have been the last bus not sure. Have they looked into that? The X1 is used a lot as well I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps it should be considered, but if Co-Op City gets later express bus service, then so should other neighborhoods such as Throggs Neck.  I would run the BxM9 later, and add a later trip to the city on weekdays and Saturdays.  

Perhaps it should be considered, but if Co-Op City gets later express bus service, then so should other neighborhoods such as Throggs Neck.  I would run the BxM9 later, and add a later trip to the city on weekdays and Saturdays.  

Does the BXM9 get the same ridership? I'd say the of all the routes I've taken the X1 and BXM7 had the most ridership from my view. Tho I could be wrong.

Does the BXM9 get the same ridership? I'd say the of all the routes I've taken the X1 and BXM7 had the most ridership from my view. Tho I could be wrong.

From (MTA) Bus, the BxM7 is #1 and the BxM9 is #2 and Throggs Neck (the greater area) along with Country Club have no subway.  Either that or have the BxM8 run later since BxM9 riders alternate between the two depending on their location.

From (MTA) Bus, the BxM7 is #1 and the BxM9 is #2 and Throggs Neck (the greater area) along with Country Club have no subway.  Either that or have the BxM8 run later since BxM9 riders alternate between the two depending on their location.

If the BXM7 does run 24/7 it should make BXM7 stop when the BXM8 isn't running, (not making an opinion on the BXM9) but it would be in proximity of the BxM9 route as well.