BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no idea. The font and sign layout is completely different from the existing ones.

I'll try to snap a pic on board in the morning on my commute to Brooklyn College or on the way home. That's only hoping i can catch it on the 103.

Whoa which company is doing them now? Has the MTA considered another candidate?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Unless a post was made in another thread about a 4th company, there's no other candidate as far as its known. Edited by Neko Boy With Glasse

Buses should NOT be bunching at 4:50 in the morning.... Yesterday morning, 2 B12's right behind another, are coming down Albany to make the right turn onto Clarkson - all while I'm waiting for the bus towards Alabama - in the process, ignoring this incoherent nutcase babbling on in an either drug induced or drunken stupor.... Anyway, depending on how warm it is out, you'll get one of these guys sleeping at the bus shelter that time a night (well, day, but it's still dark out).....

There were about 10-15 ppl on both buses, so it wasn't like that 2nd bus was carrying air..... Maybe that b/o was leadfooting it, IDK, but I get especially miffed when I see bus bunching during late night/early morning hours... Because it's enough that it's going on, at the rate that it goes on, on more than enough routes, during the peak & midday hours.....

If the bus is more than twenty minutes between stops it does that

If you do a query for a BM4 on a Sunday, or for a Q50 right after you saw it leave.

Clearly you're pulling crap out of thin air. In the exact post you quoted, I said "the next X10s were 31 minutes and 38 minutes away". How would I have been able to tell that from BusTime if it didn't work for buses 20+ minutes away? And how come at Castleton & Jewett, it says the next X10s are 2 minutes away, 27 minutes away, and 69 minutes away. Last I checked, 27 & 69 are both over 20 minutes.  :rolleyes:

If the bus is scheduled to pass by that stop around that general timeframe, but there's no buses heading in that direction, BusTime will say "no buses en-route". That's different from "no buses scheduled" because it means that a bus should be passing along soon, but it's either not coming, or not registering on BusTime.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

Clearly you're pulling crap out of thin air. In the exact post you quoted, I said "the next X10s were 31 minutes and 38 minutes away". How would I have been able to tell that from BusTime if it didn't work for buses 20+ minutes away? And how come at Castleton & Jewett, it says the next X10s are 2 minutes away, 27 minutes away, and 69 minutes away. Last I checked, 27 & 69 are both over 20 minutes. :rolleyes:

If the bus is scheduled to pass by that stop around that general timeframe, but there's no buses heading in that direction, BusTime will say "no buses en-route". That's different from "no buses scheduled" because it means that a bus should be passing along soon, but it's either not coming, or not registering on BusTime.

I'm basing that off a text query I made to a Q50 right after I missed one. That's why I included it in my answer as an example.

I've been accused of that a lot. But I did cite an experience related to why you might have seen "bus not scheduled."

At least I didn't gloat. I stayed on topic. I acknowledge what may irk forum members and I consider it in every reply. Easy now...[emoji29]

???? Eric Shields | #MassTransitHonchkrow ????

THE Hudson Valley's essential Fare-blazer ????

Buses should NOT be bunching at 4:50 in the morning.... Yesterday morning, 2 B12's right behind another, are coming down Albany to make the right turn onto Clarkson - all while I'm waiting for the bus towards Alabama - in the process, ignoring this incoherent nutcase babbling on in an either drug induced or drunken stupor.... Anyway, depending on how warm it is out, you'll get one of these guys sleeping at the bus shelter that time a night (well, day, but it's still dark out).....

There were about 10-15 ppl on both buses, so it wasn't like that 2nd bus was carrying air..... Maybe that b/o was leadfooting it, IDK, but I get especially miffed when I see bus bunching during late night/early morning hours... Because it's enough that it's going on, at the rate that it goes on, on more than enough routes, during the peak & midday hours.....

That's ridiculous.  I had an annoying experience last night too.  I was tracking buses as I was on the M86 and it showed at least three M101 buses coming soon that were supposedly "Limited Stop" buses.  Then I walk over to the stop, refresh BusTime, and suddenly, only two of them are limited.  I say to myself, okay fine, since the front runner was still coming in a few minutes.  One M101 pulls up with his Limited Stop sign flashing, but then he starts making local stops afterwards, so I walk up to front and mention that his sign says LIMITED [stops], but he's making local stops and he goes "Yeah local stops after 86th street" like it's normal or okay to just start making local stops out of the blue and he didn't even make an announcement.  Ridiculous... I don't know what some of these guys are doing, and I don't think they know either.

That guy on the M101 was probably told to go local by dispatch. I'd guess that there was a gap in M102/103 service so he was told to make those stops.

I suppose so, but I at least make an announcement.  There's also some guys that run local and then suddenly start making limited stops without making any announcements and then they refuse to let passengers off that protest.  Some people take any bus that comes, but I generally wait for the M101 because I don't want to make every stop, otherwise it makes more sense to take the subway.  That Tuskegee Depot has to be one of the worst in Manhattan.  

Same old B12. I just went to my old hood to get a shape up from the barber. Seen 4 B12s(Two XD40s, One RTS, and an Orion VII) at the Schenectady and Lefferts Avenue stop heading towards Alabama Ave about a hour ago.

Ain't nothing changed....????

I also saw two Bed Stuy bound B47s making the left turn from Clarkson onto Rockaway Pkwy...????

Edited by SubBus

7013 is on the S79 at the moment. Now exactly too surprising, but it seems like Charleston and Castleton are able to loan to the S79 like every other route on Staten Island now.

That S79 trip was open and a Castleton operator picked it up before someone else did. Unlike the rest of the city, open trips/runs in SI are available to all ops, regardless of whether that route is out of their respective depot.

Yea but why does SI have such a special stand-by rule in the first place?? And also, don't operators have a driver schedule so what happens after they finished the run they picked up?

Idk how this rule came into place but you can only pick up work as long as it doesn't conflict with your regular run. So most of the time, it's covered by operators either done for the day or on the extra list.

Idk how this rule came into place but you can only pick up work as long as it doesn't conflict with your regular run. So most of the time, it's covered by operators either done for the day or on the extra list.

That's correct and it's been in place for years. They often times will announce the runs available over the radio.

They have installed them on the NGs out of Gun Hill to be used "exclusively" for the Bx30. But clearly "exclusively" is quite loose here and they have been on the Bx26 and other Gun Hill routes but they serve no purpose on other routes as it only says "welcome aboard" and rolls ads underneath. Did the info boards show the stops or nah?

They have installed them on the NGs out of Gun Hill to be used "exclusively" for the Bx30. But clearly "exclusively" is quite loose here and they have been on the Bx26 and other Gun Hill routes but they serve no purpose on other routes as it only says "welcome aboard" and rolls ads underneath. Did the info boards show the stops or nah?

Nope. There were no announcements or a route display. Just "Welcome Aboard."