BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I'm shocked that he even got it on. The most I usually have are two big Whole Foods bags (as was the case yesterday) and I feel bad about that, but at least I keep them out of the aisle on the express bus, but this is just crazy.

Do the express buses here have the overhead racks like the Greyhound and Bolt buses do?

I literally have only used an express bus like twice ever, and it was 10 years ago at that ????

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a D60hf sitting in WF depot with its engine block removed. Couldn't see the # from the Q44. I dont know what is gonna happen to this bus. Could this be the start of a possible retirement for the 2002-3 D60hfs or a small accident?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

They're indeed slated to be replaced with the next batch of new artics, but as far as the replacement buses go, we only have two pilot buses in service right now (a LFSA in the Bronx and a XD60 in Queens). Unless that's a 2000 model bus like 5464 left over, it wouldn't make sense to start retiring more buses.

Yeah they do, but very few people use them. Some B/O's use them.

I almost always use them because I carry a camera bag and a backpack, I throw my pack pack on top and keep the camera bag on me. However almost every time I do it, someone gives me the look. i just stare back it them and think, where the f*** do you want me to put the bag then? How about your ugly face ... ok I'm done with my mini rant.   :lol:

I almost always use them because I carry a camera bag and a backpack, I throw my pack pack on top and keep the camera bag on me. However almost every time I do it, someone gives me the look. i just stare back it them and think, where the f*** do you want me to put the bag then? How about your ugly face ... ok I'm done with my mini rant.   :lol:

Well yeah because very few people use them, AND back in the day, I used to think boy do they ever clean that top area?  I've been riding the express bus for over 10 years now and I can only think of about two or three people that are regulars that use that overhead area.  One middle aged guy on Staten Island on the now defunct X16, and another guy here in Riverdale.  I always put my coat on top of my laptop bag in the seat next to me, this way I know for sure if the area is clean and I don't have to worry about anything flying out from above and hitting me.

Well yeah because very few people use them, AND back in the day, I used to think boy do they ever clean that top area?  I've been riding the express bus for over 10 years now and I can only think of about two or three people that are regulars that use that overhead area.  One middle aged guy on Staten Island on the now defunct X16, and another guy here in Riverdale.  I always put my coat on top of my laptop bag in the seat next to me, this way I know for sure if the area is clean and I don't have to worry about anything flying out from above and hitting me.

I've never had an issue with the overhead racks, I feel like maybe in the old days it was an issue but no so anymore. But I do my part to make space on the bus. I hate when people put their belongs on the chair especially when the bus is crowded.Honestly when there are no more empty seats left, the first seat I take are from the ones who put their belongs on the chair. If they thinks that's gonna stop me from sitting next to them they are wrong, it just makes them my target. 

Since we're on the subject of express buses, here are all of the routes I've ridden to this day:

Bronx: BxM2, BxM4, BxM8

Brooklyn: X27/X37, X28/X38

Queens: None

Staten Island: All except the X4, X8, X19, X30

My list is as follows (that I can recall offhand)

Bronx: BxM1, BxM3, BxM10, BxM11

Brooklyn: BM1, BM2, BM3, X28

Queens: QM2, QM5, QM6

Staten Island: Everything except the X2/3/4/5/9 (I also never got a chance to ride the X6/13/16/18/20 when they were around). 

I've never had an issue with the overhead racks, I feel like maybe in the old days it was an issue but no so anymore. But I do my part to make space on the bus. I hate when people put their belongs on the chair especially when the bus is crowded.Honestly when there are no more empty seats left, the first seat I take are from the ones who put their belongs on the chair. If they thinks that's gonna stop me from sitting next to them they are wrong, it just makes them my target.

Just be courteous. I've witnessed my fair share of verbal altercations (still remember the crazy one on the Verrazzano and another the first time I took the BxM18 home lol) and have been involved in a few myself where it came very close to blows. Express bus riders are territorial. The one with most territorial types IMO has to be the BxM2. We all know each other and know where to sit and not to sit. Come invading someone's space on purpose and they will call you out. My favorite ones are the ones that kick your feet as they're passing by with no excuse me. I have no problem tripping you up. Did that to this one guy last Saturday and when he realized that he almost went face first into the seats, he quickly apologized. No one sits next to me unless there are no seats available, and if you do on purpose, I will make your ride uncomfortable for cramping me up. At 6'4" I need my leg space and most people realize that and leave me in peace.

Mine are as follows:

My neighborhood (Riverdale): BxM1 (all branches), BxM2 (all branches), BxM3 (regular route), BxM18 (current route)

Bronx: BxM4 (regular route and defunct Super Express to Woodlawn), BxM6, BxM8, BxM10, BxM11 (current and old (skipping Bronx Zoo stop))

Brooklyn: BM1 (all branches), BM2 (weekend branch), BM3 (all branches), BM4 (weekend branch), X27, X28 (weekends via Seagate), X29 (defunct)

Queens: QM1 (current), QM1A (defunct), QM2 (weekday route), QM2 (weekends via Mitchell Gardens), QM5, QM6, QM15, BM5, X64

Manhattan: X25 (defunct).  As many times as I saw the X90 to and from work, I never got around to using it before it was cut.

Staten Island: X1, X2, X9, X10B, X10C, X11, X12, X13 (defunct), X14 (defunct), X14 (current), X15, X16 (defunct), X17C, X17J, X30, X42

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

There is a D60hf sitting in WF depot with its engine block removed. Couldn't see the # from the Q44. I dont know what is gonna happen to this bus. Could this be the start of a possible retirement for the 2002-3 D60hfs or a small accident?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Engines don't get removed in depots. You probably saw something else

Express Buses (as customer):

Bronx: BxM8

Brooklyn: None

Queens: QM4

Staten Island: X1, X10, X17, X17J, X19, X22, X22A, X23 (Academy), X24 (Academy), X30, X31(many times by accident).

TA Express Buses driven as bus operator (so far):

Staten Island: X1 (Full Route), X2, X5, X7

Edited by 161NewYork

SBS on the B12 & the B83? Who knew....

Seriously though, I saw 3 Flatbush buses w/ the SBS scheme on the way home on the B12 not too long ago.... Two were on the B83 & one was on a B12 going back towards Alabama....

Pretty much what you saw was the FB part-time school supplement for the B12 and B83.

Pretty much what you saw was the FB part-time school supplement for the B12 and B83.

I knew they did them (trippers) on the B12.... News to me about the B83.

-----------------------------

as for express routes ridden.... All, except those 3rd av renamed Queens routes (QM34, 35, however many of them there are)