BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know this got me thinking today I was riding the M98 making my way home and I thought to myself why isn't the M98 a full time bus route if it takes passengers quicker downtown than any other bus.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

They been trying to do away with that route for years. Really what needs to be done is extend the M98 right back to 34th and 3rd. That's truly an east side express to Inwood.

They been trying to do away with that route for years. Really what needs to be done is extend the M98 right back to 34th and 3rd. That's truly an east side express to Inwood.

I agree but now that I think of it instead of the Mta creating a route that isn't needed like the M55 they should've extended the M98 to South Ferry which will benefit a lot of riders because it'll be one fast route up to midtown or Washington Heights at any time.

I agree but now that I think of it instead of the Mta creating a route that isn't needed like the M55 they should've extended the M98 to South Ferry which will benefit a lot of riders because it'll be one fast route up to midtown or Washington Heights at any time.

Leave the M55 and M98 alone. No need for the M98 to extend to South Ferry. Extending back to 34th is the best way possible. M55 on 5th Avenue. That's interesting to me. First time seeing the M55 on 5th Avenue last night.

Leave the M55 and M98 alone. No need for the M98 to extend to South Ferry. Extending back to 34th is the best way possible. M55 on 5th Avenue. That's interesting to me. First time seeing the M55 on 5th Avenue last night.

Well the M55 is nothing more in my opinion a shuttle bus just going to South Ferry and well it rarely runs and I know since I always check the Mta bus time and there's always like 14 or 10 buses running.

So you want the M98 to be extended and bare the same delays the M5 was subjected to? How does this make any sense? The whole reason the M55 was created was to make the M5 shorter. If you extend the M98, you might aswell send the M5 back to SF.

So you want the M98 to be extended and bare the same delays the M5 was subjected to? How does this make any sense? The whole reason the M55 was created was to make the M5 shorter. If you extend the M98, you might aswell send the M5 back to SF.

Well I mean is there a difference between the M55 and the M5 because only thing I see is M55 barely running and as for the M98 it was just a suggestion since the M98 is the only bus in manhatttan to take the bridge and go express.

Well I mean is there a difference between the M55 and the M5 because only thing I see is M55 barely running and as for the M98 it was just a suggestion since the M98 is the only bus in manhatttan to take the bridge and go express.

Right. If the M55 barely runs so you say, I'm sure that the M5 went through the same thing which was only made worse by the route's length. Alteast the M55 isn't a overly long route. The M5 has atleast 2 less choke points to deal with which helps.

Extending the M98 anywhere past 34 is just asking for trouble in my opinion. You're basically telling the TA to tank its OTP (not that it has much to begin with lol).

Edited by Jdog14

Right. If the M55 barely runs so you say, I'm sure that the M5 went through the same thing which was only made worse by the route's length. Alteast the M55 isn't a overly long route. The M5 has atleast 2 less choke points to deal with which helps.

Extending the M98 anywhere past 34 is just asking for trouble in my opinion. You're basically telling the TA to tank its OTP (not that it has much to begin with lol).

Lol yea I think your right.

Not only that but they're often slow-assing about and running in bunches..... too much inconsistency.

How so? Isn't it better that they run behind each other so people don't get crowded at the stop.

How so? Isn't it better that they run behind each other so people don't get crowded at the stop.

A bus on 15 minute headways (just to give example) doesn't sound like a bus that has heavy crowding. If that were the case 10 minutes would be better. You shouldn't have two buses together on 15 minute hedways.

A bus on 15 minute headways (just to give example) doesn't sound like a bus that has heavy crowding. If that were the case 10 minutes would be better. You shouldn't have two buses together on 15 minute hedways.

But sometimes it's because of traffic at Madison and 5 Av.

Delays  Posted: 02/08/2017  4:46PM 

B41, B45, B57, B61, B62, B65, B67 and B103 buses are running with delays in both directions, due to traffic conditions on Livingston St between Flatbush Av and Court St.

Allow additional travel time.

Delays  Posted: 02/08/2017  4:43PM 

Q4, Q5, Q6, Q8, Q9, Q17, Q20A, Q20B, Q24, Q25, Q30, Q31, Q34, Q41, Q42, Q44-SBS, Q54, Q56, Q83, Q84, Q85, Q110, Q111, Q112, Q113-LTD and Q114-LTD bus service is running with delays in both directions due to traffic conditions on Archer Av and Jamaica Av between Sutphin Blvd and 168 St, on Sutphin Blvd between Hillside Av and Archer Av.

Allow additional travel time

They have these service advisories every single weekday, commuting on these routes must be miserable. Especially B41 &103 riders who have to deal with traffic downtown BK AND the Junction area, B41 riders also gotta deal with traffic between Empire and Church Ave. 

The sad part is that it happens all the time even with buses with 30 minute headways...

The fact that (MTA) is going to cut about 20 percent of bus service during the storm probably played a role in having NYC schools closed tomorrow...

They can't manage with a 5 pound bag on a normal day, imagine trying to fit 10 pounds of crap in a 3 pound bag if schools stayed open...

Edited by paulrivera

The fact that (MTA) is going to cut about 20 percent of bus service during the storm probably played a role in having NYC schools closed tomorrow...

They can't manage with a 5 pound bag on a normal day, imagine trying to fit 10 pounds of crap in a 3 pound bag if schools stayed open...

I still remember the last big snowstorm. They had no buses running in Riverdale. We waited for an express bus for almost two hours. I eventually gave up after the express buses we saw head north never came down. Supposedly they couldn't get up the hill, but they could go back to the depot... The thing is the website had inaccurate info. I eventually did go in to work later that afternoon.

Technically, a 4 pound bag (20% of 5 is 1.  ;) )