• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally get the (MTA) 's business model: Make the local buses and subways intentionally miserable so that those who can afford the luxury can pay extra to use an express bus or a commuter train.

I've been using the express bus and Metro-North more the last couple of days and I think I've added a year to my life as a result. I can't afford to do that every single day, but it's worth every penny and everyone should pay the premium fare at least once in a while.

I finally get the (MTA) 's business model: Make the local buses and subways intentionally miserable so that those who can afford the luxury can pay extra to use an express bus or a commuter train.

I've been using the express bus and Metro-North more the last couple of days and I think I've added a year to my life as a result. I can't afford to do that every single day, but it's worth every penny and everyone should pay the premium fare at least once in a while.

lol... I pay anywhere from $329 - $437 a month and it's worth it. During the terrible months, I get a monthly pass for Metro-North and the express bus pass in case I need the express bus since Metro-North is really only good for Grand Central in my case.  On weekends and other times though, I really need the express bus, and having to back track to Metro-North is time consuming and annoying, so if traffic isn't too bad I'll take the express bus. I have gone to Whole Foods at Bryant Park and schlepped with my bags over to Grand Central a few times when the BxM2 was a mess, but just walking across the street to that bus is much more convenient.  Right now I'm doing about 2 - 3 singles a week for peak tickets on top of my weekly express bus pass. Works out pretty good.  I check BusTime in the morning to see how the buses are doing and on days when I know traffic will be bad, I just go on the phone and get a few tickets.  What I don't use one week I carry over and use it when I want to sleep in later or have shorter walks.  

lol... I pay anywhere from $329 - $437 a month and it's worth it. During the terrible months, I get a monthly pass for Metro-North and the express bus pass in case I need the express bus since Metro-North is really only good for Grand Central in my case. On weekends and other times though, I really need the express bus, and having to back track to Metro-North is time consuming and annoying, so if traffic isn't too bad I'll take the express bus. I have gone to Whole Foods at Bryant Park and schlepped with my bags over to Grand Central a few times when the BxM2 was a mess, but just walking across the street to that bus is much more convenient. Right now I'm doing about 2 - 3 singles a week for peak tickets on top of my weekly express bus pass. Works out pretty good. I check BusTime in the morning to see how the buses are doing and on days when I know traffic will be bad, I just go on the phone and get a few tickets. What I don't use one week I carry over and use it when I want to sleep in later or have shorter walks.

Nahh you are buggin. $350-$400 A MONTH for transportation? Sir it is not that serious.

No need to get an express bus pass if you aren't using the express everyday. Heck, you don't even need it for Metro North, just put a lot on those cards, and use it accordingly.

What do u mean by "what I don't use one week I carry over"?

In all seriousness, you'd save a lot of money if you stop buying those passes for both. I'm sure you're just throwing money away. That's an extra $100-$150 a month for no reason. You would save a good $1000+ a year if you just use the pay per ride option, and just make sure you have money for both Metro North and the express to use whatever you need when you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nahh you are buggin. $350-$400 A MONTH for transportation? Sir it is not that serious.

No need to get an express bus pass if you aren't using the express everyday. Heck, you don't even need it for Metro North, just put a lot on those cards, and use it accordingly.

What do u mean by "what I don't use one week I carry over"?

In all seriousness, you'd save a lot of money if you stop buying those passes for both. I'm sure you're just throwing money away. That's an extra $100-$150 a month for no reason. You would save a good $1000+ a year if you just use the pay per ride option, and just make sure you have money for both Metro North and the express to use whatever you need when you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, actually I do enough travel to justify both. The express bus pass is used basically for everything else that I do when not using Metro-North. It doesn't take that many rides to justify the $59.50 for the weekly. For example, last month before I took a break for the summer, I had two students that I tutored. Both of them live on an express bus line, so that's six fares right there, since one of them took once a week, and the other twice. If I use the express bus four times on the weekend, which is usually the case, I've already justified the weekly pass. Doesn't include any subway trips or anything else I do, so it is worth it because using Metro-North, I need the Metrocard for the Hudson Raillink shuttle bus which is usually $2.75 each ride. Do the math with all of that and you'll see what I would pay without the passes. Believe me, I'm well aware of how much I travel and I like to be able to just go because there are months when I have both passes and have enough students on the side that gets me $1,000 - 1,200 in income per month in addition to my regular salary and commission. I've only done pay-per rides when it makes sense economically. Sometimes on weekends, I may commute with the express bus twice to and from the city because I'm not that far from the city. Then using Metro-North just weekly twice a day for peak usage easily justifies the other pass, not including other trips I may do. It makes it easier for me to get to my destinations promptly and unfortunately traveling in the Bronx is not that easy. The express bus usually is the quickest option. When the traffic is bad during the week, having Metro-North saves me from spending time sitting in traffic. Since I am able to write off a bunch of these expenses as business costs, it works out very well for me. One of the advantages having a side business... lol I also have business meetings for my regular job, and I am reimbursed for those trips. I just use my pass for that too, so you can see how it makes sense.

By "carrying over" I mean when I buy singles for Metro-North. Now I just buy singles 2 - 3 times week to accompany my express bus pass since I am not traveling as much. Whatever isn't used is carried over for the next week. I am do other consultations on the side and for those I charge a $35 minimum, plus $30 for travel, so even if I only spend 30 minutes with this person, I get $65. I usually make more than that because they need help for longer than that. When you go into business for yourself, you'll see how you have to structure your business to maximize profit and maximize your time, which is exactly what I do.

Some consultants charge a minimum fee for their travel time AND travel expenses which can add up rather quickly. Since this is side money, I don't get too crazy, but I do charge to make a decent profit. Time is money, especially in NYC.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

So... today I was making myself up to 181st when I saw an XD60 in front of Manhattanville depot. Why do artics sometimes are parked there?

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

Various reasons.  My uncle would often times stop off at Mother Clara Hale Depot to chat with B/Os he knew and use the bathroom.  Was a run down depot back then, but boy was I happy to be able to relieve myself. lol Since the M102 is out of OH, but ends by that depot, it made sense for him to stop there.  When you need bathroom breaks, you learn all of the places to go, which includes depots.

Various reasons. My uncle would often times stop off at Mother Clara Hale Depot to chat with B/Os he knew and use the bathroom. Was a run down depot back then, but boy was I happy to be able to relieve myself. lol

Oh... lol I thought artics stop there sometimes for training

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how I would go about requesting a bus stop along an existing route? Thanks.

http://mta-nyc.custhelp.com/app/ask

For MTA Service scroll to "Buses", then "Suggestion" then "Station/Bus Stop/Facility/Structure"

But the stops are maintained by NYCDOT, so you might want to contact them in addition to the MTA (and while you're at it, you might want to contact your local politicians)

This morning I caught a connecting BxM18 at 5th and 34th and took that downtown to work instead of the usual QM to 6th ave and take the R/W.  It was such a nice experience and hardly took much longer than the Subway does. 

My advice to you is to put on BusTime for such a connection because it can save you timewise.  I don't use the BxM18 that much because of my location and work schedule these days, but I did manage to get the last one a few days ago.  He was late, but got to Riverdale fairly quickly. In the summertime they tend to be much more reliable, and when I have meetings Downtown in the morning I use that and it's much nicer than having to transfer to the subway.  The bus has become very popular with folks that work in Midtown who live in Riverdale, and Southbound, 56th and 5th and 43rd and 5th are two big stops, so the bus tends be not as full by the time it makes those transfer stops at 34th and down by 27th and 5th as the Midtown folks all get off. The Downtown folks use the line religiously, and in fact there are some that still ride the same exact bus from the time that I moved to Riverdale over five years ago.

Seen them on Fulton and Nostrand. 2 hours before your time stamp. They blitzing today.

I love when they catch people off guard, and today is the perfect day to get them... It's Friday and people are feeling all nice.. Pay day!   :D  :lol: Never forget it... Was walking to the express bus one morning, and this black guy says you walk so confident. It must be pay day (it wasn't).  :lol:

I love when they catch people off guard, and today is the perfect day to get them... It's Friday and people are feeling all nice.. Pay day! :D:lol: Never forget it... Was walking to the express bus one morning, and this black guy says you walk so confident. It must be pay day (it wasn't). :lol:

Exactly. Gotta catch people making fools of themselves when the eagle team is in town.