BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

12 minutes ago, BrightlinerNewFlyer said:

I have a screenshot, I just don't know how to get it up here!

You can upload your picture to an image hosting service (like Flickr; you would need to make an account if you don't have one), and then share the image link. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Looks like the Next Gens from YU, KB, GH will be sent to FP Depot to retire their 2005s since MV is pretty much out of the 2003 OGs and QV doesn’t use that many Next Gens.

I wouldn’t say that for a fact.  You also have Flatbush and Queens Village in the mix. QV needs 40+ buses. Not including the LFS that are coming in. 

On 6418 right now and this thing is shot. Engine keeps revving up fully while barely taking off, then once moving it doesn't stop revving until the bus completely stops even when braking. We're going not even 5MPH and the engine is screaming. 

I'm really going to miss these things. This the only Green sign at MV doing a run in service right now.

4 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Did something happen at Charleston Depot? A lot of buses have cracked destination signs on the front of the bus.

Perhaps its the clientele? I always thought their routes generally served the less rough parts of SI but I’ve never explored Charleston territory so what do I know.

sounds a lot like west farms though lmao

30 minutes ago, 4P3607 said:

On 6418 right now and this thing is shot. Engine keeps revving up fully while barely taking off, then once moving it doesn't stop revving until the bus completely stops even when braking. We're going not even 5MPH and the engine is screaming. 

I'm really going to miss these things. This the only Green sign at MV doing a run in service right now.

They’re probably just running the remaining units with minimal maintenance till they have a major breakdown. Not much point in fixing little things in a bus retiring in a few days/a week anyway.

anyway 6390 is also out right now on the M4 if anyone’s interested

5 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

Perhaps its the clientele? I always thought their routes generally served the less rough parts of SI but I’ve never explored Charleston territory so what do I know.

sounds a lot like west farms though lmao

Also the cracks on these buses are always in the same spot. Upper left hand corner of the destination sign.

4 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Did something happen at Charleston Depot? A lot of buses have cracked destination signs on the front of the bus.

Yepp there's a lot of low hanging trees along Richmond Rd and Arthur Kill and drivers continue to hit them not realizing its damaging the destination signs. 

S74 route. 

16 hours ago, paulrivera said:

There’s undercover NYPD stopping people that are farebeating on the local Bx12 right now.

About damn time.

Undercovers (on the subway) is what kept farebeating at very low levels during the 80's & the earlier part of the 90's... Now the only thing you see undercovers on the subway, are bums....

I'm all for deploying undercover cops on buses.... Shit's gotten way too out of hand (talking about skipping the fare in general, not just on the Bx12 route)..... I shouldn't have to feel like a f**kin' sucker when I engage in doing something called actually paying the fare....

32 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Undercovers (on the subway) is what kept farebeating at very low levels during the 80's & the earlier part of the 90's... Now the only thing you see undercovers on the subway, are bums....

I'm all for deploying undercover cops on buses.... Shit's gotten way too out of hand (talking about skipping the fare in general, not just on the Bx12 route)..... I shouldn't have to feel like a f**kin' sucker when I engage in doing something called actually paying the fare....

THIS RIGHT HERE...

It's so bad on some Staten Island routes I feel like a kiss ass to the MTA for paying to take the bus. 

8 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

THIS RIGHT HERE...

It's so bad on some Staten Island routes I feel like a kiss ass to the MTA for paying to take the bus. 

I'm not down there too often, but whenever I get on the S79, there's at least 10+ people who don't pay between Eltingville Station and the Mall...in either direction.

2 minutes ago, NBTA said:

I'm not down there too often, but whenever I get on the S79, there's at least 10+ people who don't pay between Eltingville Station and the Mall...in either direction.

Shocker... lol Staten Island’s fare beating problems are almost as bad as areas of the Bronx. The local buses esp. have always been bad, and the lines hat run through PJ areas. lol

37 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

THIS RIGHT HERE...

And it shouldn't be this way. Sometimes out of 15-20 people boarding the S79, I'm the only one that pays. The majority of these fare beaters are teens do I think that until they start paying, school trippers should be cut. That would especially hurt the South shore with S55/56 service being reduced from every 10 minutes to every 30 minutes. But that should reach them a lesson. If you don't want to pay for the bus, we aren't going to pay for your school trippers.

I'm just wondering, If the OMNY reader isn't working on SI buses, but the MetroCard reader is, would everyone still have to pay the fare? Since people using OMNY would get waved on.

13 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

And it shouldn't be this way. Sometimes out of 15-20 people boarding the S79, I'm the only one that pays. The majority of these fare beaters are teens do I think that until they start paying, school trippers should be cut. That would especially hurt the South shore with S55/56 service being reduced from every 10 minutes to every 30 minutes. But that should reach them a lesson. If you don't want to pay for the bus, we aren't going to pay for your school trippers.

I'm just wondering, If the OMNY reader isn't working on SI buses, but the MetroCard reader is, would everyone still have to pay the fare? Since people using OMNY would get waved on.

Your "lesson" will hurt students that actually pay the fare also. Undercover patrol imo would be more effective, that is, if the cops actually did anything about it.

32 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

If OMNY isn't working, OMNY users can technically get on for free. Hope the general public doesn't catch on a start lookin for broken OMNY readers to get slick and not pay by saying "I was planning on using that" 😭

But yeah everyone still has to pay with MetroCard, OMNY riders are excused. I've seen OMNY oos a few times the week of June 3-7. It was only on the local buses so people just didn't pay attention to the screen, and continued to pay with MetroCard. This past week has been pretty good, no broken OMNY readers. 

5 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

If OMNY isn't working, OMNY users can technically get on for free. Hope the general public doesn't catch on a start lookin for broken OMNY readers to get slick and not pay by saying "I was planning on using that" 😭

But yeah everyone still has to pay with MetroCard, OMNY riders are excused. I've seen OMNY oos a few times the week of June 3-7. It was only on the local buses so people just didn't pay attention to the screen, and continued to pay with MetroCard. This past week has been pretty good, no broken OMNY readers. 

Consider yourself lucky. On the express end, lots of OMNY readers have been broken or off and drivers have not been letting riders on. Myself and another leader of a Staten Island Express Bus Advocacy Group have been discussing this. I’ve been trying to inform folks and she has been dealing directly with the (MTA) and reps for the new payment system to answer rider questions about what to do when OMNY is down. Drivers that aren’t allowing riders in are being identified accordingly.

2 hours ago, NBTA said:

And that's why most Staten Island buses will never run better than 30 minute headways.