BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

5 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Someone earlier asked for a pic of one of the new updated signs on the 2015 LFS'. Here's a clip of one of the updated signs on LFS #8483 on the Q36 Limited (Timestamp is 2:50 in the video). The LFS' have started getting this update since at least early April.

Yukon and Charleston has been reverting the signs back to original due to the side and rear signs not working with this update. Castleton is fine since most of their buses don't have this issue with the new signs.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Kinda depends on the route. While it might not be an inconvenience for S79 riders, S55/56 riders would have only a third of service left. So those people would feel more pain. (IMO, I would only count paying customers as riders, so when the service cuts come around, those lines with high fare beating would have service cut.)

And historically, the S55/56, and the S115 before that, only existed because of Tottenville HS. Before the renumbering, there wasn't midday service on the 115. That said, why not have an S79 tripper or two out of Tottenville HS as well?

As for 7851-7905, when is the plan for delivery of those buses now that the base order (7484-50) is within a few buses of completion?

46 minutes ago, Calvin said:

2018-2019 XD-40 structure list (7851-7905 TBD)

Jamaica: 7484-7507, 7699-7705, 7753-7778, 7835-7838 = 61

Grand Av: 7520-7530, 7725-7733, 7821-7834 = 34

Fresh Pond: 7508-7519, 7706-7723, 7738-7752 , 7802-7820 = 65

Flatbush: 7615-7662 (48 for B46+)

East New York: 7663-7684 (22 for B82+) + 7685-7693, 7779-7784 (7785-7787) 7788-7801 - 29/32 = 54

Michael J Quill: 7572, 7573-7614 (43)

Ulmer Park: 7531-7545, 7552-7567, 7839-7848 (41)

West Farms: 7546-7551, 7568-7571, 7694-7698, 7734-7737, *7849-7850 = 21

Wait did they actually move 7572 from Queens to MJQ?

4 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

That said, why not have an S79 tripper or two out of Tottenville HS as well?

There's no need for a S79 tripper because the S78 already covers Hylan and the S59 covers Richmond. Tottenville HS students don't regularly go to Brooklyn and if they need to go to Brooklyn, they can transfer to the S79 along Hylan.

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

2018-2019 XD-40 structure list (7851-7905 TBD)

Jamaica: 7484-7507, 7699-7705, 7753-7778, 7835-7838 = 61

Grand Av: 7520-7530, 7725-7733, 7821-7834 = 34

Fresh Pond: 7508-7519, 7706-7723, 7738-7752 , 7802-7820 = 65

Flatbush: 7615-7662 (48 for B46+)

East New York: 7663-7684 (22 for B82+) + 7685-7693, 7779-7784 (7785-7787) 7788-7801 - 29/32 = 54

Michael J Quill: 7572 (at Jamaica for now), 7573-7614 (43)

Ulmer Park: 7531-7545, 7552-7567, 7839-7848 (41)

West Farms: 7546-7551, 7568-7571, 7694-7698, 7734-7737, *7849-7850 = 21

7849 and 50 are not even here yet and West Farms is not scheduled yet for those 2 buses. 

11 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Kinda depends on the route. While it might not be an inconvenience for S79 riders, S55/56 riders would have only a third of service left. So those people would feel more pain.

(IMO, I would only count paying customers as riders, so when the service cuts come around, those lines with high fare beating would have service cut.)

I said most schoolkids in the city, though.... Most would not have a 1/3rd of bus service left if trippers were to be taken away from them.... I'll even go as far as to say that taking away trippers would be a (lame) reason for some of these kids to skip school altogether.... In laymens, it'd be doing them a favor!

Furthermore, the revocation of bus service on high farebeating lines would promote even more system-wide farebeating.... I can't sit here & promote cutting service as some sort of counter-farebeating tactic... It's short-sighted.

11 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

There’s a ad out right now for fare evasion on the subways with a joint effort of (MTA) police, Port Authority Police and NYPD. Obviously for the latter 2 those would be Manhattan and Queens properties that the (MTA) and PA has in conjunction with the trains. 

State police is a bit out of reach and I agree B35. However, if you are in the juridisction of The Bronx where state PD loves to hang out to catch speeders it may not be too far out of reach.  (requiring some form of Albany assistance and gov says ok u may have undercover state pd on buses) 

State police coming in to put a stop to farebeating, to me, is akin to implementing martial law for the same reason.... Troop NYC can remain safeguarding toll crossings & nabbing speeders, drunk drivers, and the like....

You have folks that live upstate that are livid that there's even a Troop NYC to begin with....

6 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

And historically, the S55/56, and the S115 before that, only existed because of Tottenville HS. Before the renumbering, there wasn't midday service on the 115. That said, why not have an S79 tripper or two out of Tottenville HS as well?

How many more routes are we going to have trippers serving Tottenville HS on? Yes, it has a high student pop. compared to other schools, but come on...

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

State police coming in to put a stop to farebeating, to me, is akin to implementing martial law for the same reason.... Troop NYC can remain safeguarding toll crossings & nabbing speeders, drunk drivers, and the like....

You have folks that live upstate that are livid that there's even a Troop NYC to begin with....

There’s only one person to blame for this and it has his papa’s bearing name on a bridge which I believe is a total waste of time, money and resources. Meanwhile NYC like Nassau has a highway patrol and actual police force to nab speeders and etc. 

17 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Kinda depends on the route. While it might not be an inconvenience for S79 riders, S55/56 riders would have only a third of service left. So those people would feel more pain. (IMO, I would only count paying customers as riders, so when the service cuts come around, those lines with high fare beating would have service cut.)

Well in reality for Teens it wouldn't do anything, cuz they wouldn't pay on a regular trip anyway.

Press conference right now in Midtown with The Governor, (MTA) Chair- Pat Foye, and Cy Vance (Manhattan DA) in regards to Fare Evasion.

Coverage Courtesy: CBSN- New York: https://newyork.cbslocal.com/live/

- Some highlights to include deploying up to 500 officers from the branches of NYPD, MTA Police and Bridge and Tunnels. I believe I stated seeing something in regards to PAPD. However, that is not the case at this time. So no PAPD deployment.

- 40 Million dollars is being put into this program. No taxpayer dollars are being used. Per Cy Vance (Manhattan DA)

- Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North are also experiencing issues with Fare Evasion and programs to combat that will be introduced later on- Per Pat Foye (Chairman)

- Governor just made a mention that NYS Police will be deployed into Subway stations... Right Now: GCT/Penn/Atlantic-Pacific have NYS police presence.

Edited by Future ENY OP
NYS Police deployment.

Two things:

1. The m96 is shockingly fast off peak! Both sides of the park too... Never rode a crosstown bus (well, there’s this absolutely nutty M23+ driver that can do 7 ave to lexington in 4 minutes somehow but we won’t talk about him lmao). The only thing this route needs is all door payment frankly.

2. 3970 talks (not sure what it says, I’m listening to music) even though it’s rear screen is off. And though the front screen is on, it isn’t displaying any route info, rather it’s displaying some animated screensaver or something (ad????) for clever devices

5 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Press conference right now in Midtown with The Governor, (MTA) Chair- Pat Foye, and Cy Vance (Manhattan DA) in regards to Fare Evasion.

Coverage Courtesy: CBSN- New York: https://newyork.cbslocal.com/live/

- Some highlights to include deploying up to 500 officers from the branches of NYPD, MTA Police and Bridge and Tunnels. I believe I stated seeing something in regards to PAPD. However, that is not the case at this time. So no PAPD deployment.

- 40 Million dollars is being put into this program. No taxpayer dollars are being used. Per Cy Vance (Manhattan DA)

- Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North are also experiencing issues with Fare Evasion and programs to combat that will be introduced later on- Per Pat Foye (Chairman)

- Governor just made a mention that NYS Police will be deployed into Subway stations... Right Now: GCT/Penn/Atlantic-Pacific have NYS police presence.

2 hours ago, Lex said:

In other words, the MTA will be footing the bill. Again.

15 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Exactly. Apparent the words of the Manhattan District Attorey. Money used from Criminal enterprise will be used for deployment of 500 officers from the branches excluding PAPD. 

Actually, I watched that press conference.  The Manhattan DA made it abundantly clear that no taxpayer dollars would be used for that $40 million that he was allocating to deter fare beating. Criminal enterprise means just that....

7 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Two things:

1. The m96 is shockingly fast off peak! Both sides of the park too... Never rode a crosstown bus (well, there’s this absolutely nutty M23+ driver that can do 7 ave to lexington in 4 minutes somehow but we won’t talk about him lmao). The only thing this route needs is all door payment frankly.

Brace yourself for the M66. The only useful portion is between Central Park W and 5 Av (if not taking in the scenic view), otherwise, I can walk.

34 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Brace yourself for the M66. The only useful portion is between Central Park W and 5 Av (if not taking in the scenic view), otherwise, I can walk.

Yeah that m66 is horrendous. Even the park portion doesn’t run right sometimes (especially heading east in the evening rush). And the m72 my god... That thing CRAWLS on the east side just to get to 5th...

The 57 street buses aren’t that fast and they’re pretty horribly inconsistent. I walked madison to 11th today without seeing a single westbound.

The M23+ and M79+ (Less so) are both really good IMO

1 hour ago, Orion6025 said:

Yeah that m66 is horrendous. Even the park portion doesn’t run right sometimes (especially heading east in the evening rush). And the m72 my god... That thing CRAWLS on the east side just to get to 5th...

The 57 street buses aren’t that fast and they’re pretty horribly inconsistent. I walked madison to 11th today without seeing a single westbound.

The M23+ and M79+ (Less so) are both really good IMO

I hate the M72! The only saving grace is that it has new buses now. Too many stops and it has to go all the way down to 66th street to get to the Transverse, then go all the way up to back to 72nd. 

49 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Too many stops and it has to go all the way down to 66th street to get to the Transverse, then go all the way up to back to 72nd. 

Perhaps things would be easier if Central Park didn't exist.

4 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Today I saw an RTS in Staten Island and people's reaction on the bus were "eww WTF that bus is ugly"🤣🤣, "that's a bus from the dead" 

I really wish there was an easier way to upload photos. 

Why was it in SI?

4 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

You can say that again... I once opted for the M31 around 72/York because I didn’t want to walk to the (Q) and that bus was so slow that by the time we got to 3rd/57th the (Q) would have been at 7th/Flatbush...

12 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

You can say that again... I once opted for the M31 around 72/York because I didn’t want to walk to the (Q) and that bus was so slow that by the time we got to 3rd/57th the (Q) would have been at 7th/Flatbush...

And then there is the M42 hahaha. Hands down the worst crosstown route in my opinion.