BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

4424 makes a weird screeching/wirrling sound, it's on the B41 rn

Lack of maintenance... I've heard that sound on artics along 3rd Avenue too. Was crossing the street one night at 86th and 3rd and that sound came about. It was so quiet out so it was a surprise to hear it.

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Lack of maintenance... I've heard that sound on artics along 3rd Avenue too. Was crossing the street one night at 86th and 3rd and that sound came about. It was so quiet out so it was a surprise to hear it.

If that bus was at Gun Hill until recently, I'd hardly be surprised.

The bus routes in my area are annoying. I'm going somewhere and am deciding to get something to eat beforehand. The Q47 is a no show, the Q38 bus just passed, and the (R) train by default will always fail me. The (R) train is 9 minutes away, which I won't make, because it's about a 12-15 minute walk. The one after that is 20+ minutes away.

Okay, so I decided to opt for the Q29. Well, the bus that's suppose to head up to Jackson Heights is still on its way to Glendale, and will leave about 15 minutes late. The next Q53 to Woodside will arrive at the same time as the (R) , and the next one isn't even mainland Queens. 

Like seriously, what's the chance of every single option screwing me over in what should be a 20 minute (at max) ride. I've ultimately decided to go to the (R) , and the countdown clock times are just increasing. 

EDIT: I'm on the (R) right now. It's packed beyond belief because there's no EB local (and the train was late), an on top of that, there's no AC. Holy f**k...

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

11 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Something should be done to alleviate the crowding on B70 --> S79 because it is absolutely ridiculous and I can't even get on the bus every week. Maybe some frequency increases.

YES MY GOODNESS, mann this has been going on since I used to go to high school right near that stop. The reason for that bullshit everyday is because S79 operators let the bus get completely full at 86st...they clearly know 92nd street is another MAJOR transfer point yet they go max capacity at 4th ave...then when people walk to the bus when it's stuck at the light they said "there's another one behind". Well when EVERY driver is doing that...when is another one gonna be empty? 

The solution isn't a scheduling thing...there should be a dispatcher there not allowing buses to get full at 86st, and to allow for another 8-10 people to board at 92nd.

People at 86st will GUARANTEED get on a bus, 92nd is not guaranteed...I used to wait 25-45 mins during rush hr just to get a bus, letting 3-4 S79s bypass. 

Some people (even myself) would just hop on the S93 and NOT PAY, just to get across the bridge because they know the S79 would empty up at Fingerboard and Hylan, in which they'll then use the MetroCard so they can still have their transfer. 

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

YES MY GOODNESS, mann this has been going on since I used to go to high school right near that stop. The reason for that bullshit everyday is because S79 operators let the bus get completely full at 86st...they clearly know 92nd street is another MAJOR transfer point yet they go max capacity at 4th ave...then when people walk to the bus when it's stuck at the light they said "there's another one behind". Well when EVERY driver is doing that...when is another one gonna be empty? 

The solution isn't a scheduling thing...there should be a dispatcher there not allowing buses to get full at 86st, and to allow for another 8-10 people to board at 92nd.

People at 86st will GUARANTEED get on a bus, 92nd is not guaranteed...I used to wait 25-45 mins during rush hr just to get a bus, letting 3-4 S79s bypass. 

Some people (even myself) would just hop on the S93 and NOT PAY, just to get across the bridge because they know the S79 would empty up at Fingerboard and Hylan, in which they'll then use the MetroCard so they can still have their transfer. 

The S79 SBS needs artics. But I know that won't be happening anytime soon.

Another major stop (on school days) is Hylan/Ebbitts (especially towards Brooklyn). People would walk down to Guyon just to get a not-packed S79 going towards Brooklyn. You could wait 30 minutes until a S79 actually stops there and you can get on. (I wouldn't be surprised if some people took the S78 to the S53/93 to get to Brooklyn since there's always a ton of S78 school trippers from the south shore going towards the Ferry at that time).

9 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah they run their buses into the ground, and always get the newest and latest.

Oh for sure. I was on 5478 on the Bx22, it's one of the new SBS LFSA's. The interior was already disgusting. The bus was heavily scratched on the exterior, the back was black in dirty smoke and grime, on the rear left corner by the headlight was a hole. Gun Hill seriously is an issue, and I am surprised the (MTA) has never noticed, nor no one has brought the attention to anyone there about the conditions of their buses. 4799 one of their 2013 XD60s literally burnt on fire. 4770 smelled like smoke in the back, and was dirty to the point where you though you were riding a murder bus.

1 minute ago, WestFarms36 said:

Oh for sure. I was on 5478 on the Bx22, it's one of the new SBS LFSA's. The interior was already disgusting. The bus was heavily scratched on the exterior, the back was black in dirty smoke and grime, on the rear left corner by the headlight was a hole. Gun Hill seriously is an issue, and I am surprised the (MTA) has never noticed, nor no one has brought the attention to anyone there about the conditions of their buses. 4799 one of their 2013 XD60s literally burnt on fire. 4770 smelled like smoke in the back, and was dirty to the point where you though you were riding a murder bus.

.... and this is why The Bronx don’t appreciate new equipment and they want to send those 47xx buses to Brooklyn. Gun Hill could keep those buses on the Bx5, Bx22, Bx28 and whatever artic lines they have. 

10 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

.... and this is why The Bronx don’t appreciate new equipment and they want to send those 47xx buses to Brooklyn. Gun Hill could keep those buses on the Bx5, Bx22, Bx28 and whatever artic lines they have. 

The issue really falls only at Gun Hill Depot. In the case of West Farms, they've improved. The buses are clean and everything there is basically in check. Kingsbridge is a depot I am beginning to question, and I am afraid they could follow Gun Hill's footsteps.

Random thought: Why is there a 30 minute wait between S48 buses going towards the Ferry in the AM rush? You have the 7:04 AM out of Arlington, then a bunch of S98's every 6 minutes and then a 7:34 AM S48. People waiting for the S48 in the morning at a local stop are supposed to walk to the S98?

7 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Random thought: Why is there a 30 minute wait between S48 buses going towards the Ferry in the AM rush? You have the 7:04 AM out of Arlington, then a bunch of S98's every 6 minutes and then a 7:34 AM S48. People waiting for the S48 in the morning at a local stop are supposed to walk to the S98?

Some S48 buses start at Forest Avenue and South Avenue in the morning iirc.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

25 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Some S48 buses start at Forest Avenue and South Avenue in the morning iirc.

The only short-turns on the schedule are PM buses scheduled to terminate at Richmond Avenue.

33 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Doesn't justify it, but it's likely that the MTA thinks people can easily walk to/from the S98 stops. The only section where the stops are very spaced out is between Manor Road and Bard Avenue. Everything to the east basically is covered by other local buses. To the west, everything's local after Richmond Avenue. Either way, there should still be some more S48 service provided there.

BTW: There's a 6:27 PM trip on the S76 (Weekdays) that originates in St. George, and apparently goes nowhere else. What's that all about?

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

That moment I'm on the M101 @ 125th & Lex, driver wisely doesn't open the center/rear doors (since no one was exiting) a whole line of people waiting to jump in thru those doors, one SOB even had the nerve to knock like I was s'posed to open it for them.

1 hour ago, WestFarms36 said:

The issue really falls only at Gun Hill Depot. In the case of West Farms, they've improved. The buses are clean and everything there is basically in check. Kingsbridge is a depot I am beginning to question, and I am afraid they could follow Gun Hill's footsteps.

Kingsbridge be Slipping. MTA bus logo all scratched up, scratchiti all over the windows, garbage on the floor, seats mad filthy chipped paint. overall poor aesthetic quality. It's up there with Gun Hill. But Gun Hill is on another level.

Edited by Q23 via 108
KB

4 minutes ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Kingsbridge be Slipping. MTA bus logo all scratched up, scratchiti all over the windows, garbage on the floor, seats mad filthy chipped paint. overall poor aesthetic quality. 

Is there a way for me to upload my pictures onto here?