BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

7 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Reminds me of QJT's idea to buy those floating boat buses that run on roads and then drive in the water to become boats.

They get REALLY crowded at the shift change times. I doubt there's too many people riding between shift changes.

Exactly i can agree with you and @B35 via Church that's when S40/90 ridership is brutal. Sheesh the S40 Leaving the ferry is brutal too. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Reminds me of QJT's idea to buy those floating boat buses that run on roads and then drive in the water to become boats.

smh..... He was dead serious with that stupid shit too.... That, along with straddle buses here in NYC.

45 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Exactly i can agree with you and @B35 via Church that's when S40/90 ridership is brutal. Sheesh the S40 Leaving the ferry is brutal too. 

Word.

I mean,  remember when the S40 used to carry a lot of air... May sound corny, but I like to see/hear of bus routes garnering usage....
(especially when the M.O. all over has been to cut, cut, cut)

2 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

For those of you who are curious;

6412 M5

6418 M4

6423 M3

All in service right now.

Seems to be the last three running for now. 

6390 has pulled out on the m98 since then. Appears 6383 ran this morning but it’s not out right mow...

Question for any drivers or people that knows the upper MTA...

Why do expired Unlimited MetroCards work on buses after the expiration date? 

Someone dipped their card in front of me and it said EXP 6/12, and WORKED. 

I've also seen working cards say:

EXP 9/30

EXP 12/30

EXP 2/16

WTF I thought there are only weekly and monthly...are people using old Unlimited cards because it acts as a working MetroCard on buses? 

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Question for any drivers or people that knows the upper MTA...

Why do expired Unlimited MetroCards work on buses after the expiration date? 

Someone dipped their card in front of me and it said EXP 6/12, and WORKED. 

I've also seen working cards say:

EXP 9/30

EXP 12/30

EXP 2/16

WTF I thought there are only weekly and monthly...are people using old Unlimited cards because it acts as a working MetroCard on buses? 

I had an unlimited that did somewhat of the opposite, works on subway but not the bus.

2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Someone posted a picture of a poster that says that effective June 30th the Q114 will bypass Brookville Blvd and run straight down Rockaway Blvd. I don't recall seeing this in any MTA Committee documents. @Union Tpke You know anything about this?

I'm guessing the agency wants to take the Q114 off Brookville Blvd to avoid that marsh between Rockaway Blvd and 149th Avenue because it's prone to flooding.

Edited by NY1635

8 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Someone posted a picture of a poster that says that effective June 30th the Q114 will bypass Brookville Blvd and run straight down Rockaway Blvd. I don't recall seeing this in any MTA Committee documents. @Union Tpke You know anything about this?

Summary on Page 204 of May 2019 committee for summer changes doesn't have anything, and last service changes were in December 2018 (page 224) for spring. After doing a fast search of all 2018/19 committee books, didn't come up with anything regarding Q114 (and didn't recall seeing anything previously).

9 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Someone posted a picture of a poster that says that effective June 30th the Q114 will bypass Brookville Blvd and run straight down Rockaway Blvd.....

Then they should implement LTD service on the Q111 - and I'd make the Q114 an all local route to do it too....

They've been d*cking around with LTD service along 147th for quite some time now..... Even before the separation of the old Q113 local & Q113 LTD segments (into today's Q113 & Q114), they were gradually taking away service on the old Q113 via Nassau Expwy.... Now if/when this happens, folks along/around 147th av will only have local service.....

Edited by B35 via Church

13 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I have heard nothing about this and this was not in any MTA Committee documents. A routing change would likely have to go before the board. Can I see the picture?

1 hour ago, Lex said:

I'm seeing nothing on the MTA's website about this (and this is one of those things people need to know about in advance).

I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

Just because it's not on the MTA's website, doesn't mean it's not going to happen...people should know this by now. Also, not everyone checks the MTA website. The signs are literally inside of the buses.

65167246_344409382916571_2144275092681523200_n.jpg

Edited by Cait Sith

8 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Just because it's not on the MTA's website, doesn't mean it's not going to happen...

I was just going to say something along the lines of this.... I don't rely on the MTA site for anything really; hell, I barely go on it (for several reasons)......

The BM3 routing change in Sheepshead & that BM1 change in Mill Basin (whatever years those were) I don't remember being on the MTA website either.... I ended up finding out about both of those changes off flyers posted inside the buses themselves.....

Edited by B35 via Church

5 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Just because it's not on the MTA's website, doesn't mean it's not going to happen...people should know this by now. Also, not everyone checks the MTA website. The signs are literally inside of the buses.

If you use trip planner, the Q114 no longer shows up as an option from the 147 Avenue stops (starting from 6/30). 

IMO this is a terrible move. There are people who use it along 147th Avenue. The only reason I believe this is happening is because the Q113 buses are so unreliable and MIA, causing the Q114 buses to be severely behind schedule because its dealing with two loads of bus riders. I've been on 114s that took two hours from Jamaica to Far Rockaway because of that.

1 minute ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

If you use trip planner, the Q114 no longer shows up as an option from the 147 Avenue stops (starting from 6/30). 

IMO this is a terrible move. There are people who use it along 147th Avenue. The only reason I believe this is happening is because the Q113 buses are so unreliable and MIA, causing the Q114 buses to be severely behind schedule because its dealing with two loads of bus riders. I've been on 114s that took two hours from Jamaica to Far Rockaway because of that.

TWO hours.... Just think about that for a second... Really shows you where our transportation system is.  

9 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I believe @NY1635's theory to be the main reason.... I remember reading rumors of having the (pre-2014) Q113 taken off Snake rd. due to all the flooding issues....

I also believe something is to come of 113/114 service; some type of frequency change or something another, to either (or both) of those routes... I don't think this move has to do with route performance.... That part of Rockaway blvd. isn't exactly a picnic, in terms of traffic....

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

65167246_344409382916571_2144275092681523200_n.jpg

What does that even say? It's nowhere near clear enough to read (aside from the text at or near the top).

48104648817_2187fd62e5_b.jpgScreen Shot 2019-06-21 at 3.12.22 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I was just going to say something along the lines of this.... I don't rely on the MTA site for anything really; hell, I barely go on it (for several reasons)......

The BM3 routing change in Sheepshead & that BM1 change in Mill Basin (whatever years those were) I don't remember being on the MTA website either.... I ended up finding out about both of those changes off flyers posted inside the buses themselves.....

Same for the change in Q37 service.