BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

8 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

(Also posted in Subway Random Thoughts)

Is there a relatively easy way to get from the upper east side (82 St/Park Av) to the GWB Bus Terminal? Thanks!

The M98 runs up 3rd Avenue (not sure what the closest stop is to you. Maybe 86th Street). The M4 runs up Madison and also runs near the GWB Bus terminal but takes a little longer (it doesn't have a stretch on the highway like the M98 and it sometimes gets caught up by the hospital in Washington Heights)

When the FDR is backed up the M98 usually detours via local streets (nonstop) to avoid the traffic.

The M3 is a few blocks over from the GWB Bus Terminal along St. Nicholas (you can pick it up with the M4 along Madison)

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

(Also posted in Subway Random Thoughts)

Is there a relatively easy way to get from the upper east side (82 St/Park Av) to the GWB Bus Terminal? Thanks!

If it's running, you can get the M98 on 3rd Avenue at 86th Street. Other times, use the M4 on Madison Avenue. 

3 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

I'm trying to do a 10 year comparison for the bus ridership, but I'm having trouble finding the MTAB routes for 2008

Good luck doing that. I had trouble finding bus ridership for Nassau routes from the LIB days. 

I think the buses in the city stop way too often. Today I took the bus and the buses stopped for the stop, then the light, then stop, then the light again. It is almost madding slow. 

I think the MTA can get away with one bus stop every 4 block except for hills and other special need area.

Not only was the bus late, the driver waited for the green to turn red, THREE TIMES. This is a stark contrast to the NICE bus I got off where the driver floored it.

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Had no idea Flatbush still had the Oatly campaign on nearly all their buses. Nice to still see those around. Same with some of the JG front ads and a couple of UP expresses.

New Oatly Campaign so far:

All of Manhattan Division have front and rear.

Flatbush: Front and Rear (plus some holdovers from previous)

JG & UP Front only (plus some holdovers from previous).

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Why is everyone so interested in this Oatly campaign? I get that they ads are somewhat more amusing/snarky than your usual MattressFirm ad, but I don't think they are thaaat great. 

I personally found them nice because I got a good chuckle from them however I’m starting to get bored of them though. I guess some people still like them a lot so their opinions should be respected. But yes, I do see your point.

Edited by Snorunts

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Why is everyone so interested in this Oatly campaign? I get that they ads are somewhat more amusing/snarky than your usual MattressFirm ad, but I don't think they are thaaat great. 

Although they are amusing. It’s a good ad campaign that hasn’t had a good look for NYC in a while. Especially in Brooklyn where most of the ads generally repeat themselves every 3-4 months. I get tired of the same Mattress Firm ads and not enough 30x240 ads or 30x215 ads. 

Too bad the whole Brooklyn Division (with exception of Ulmer Park- Express depot) can’t get Broadway ads or headliner ads from Showtime, Cinemax, Epic, or even driverside wraps. 

However, as of late the (MTA) has been incorporating more headliner ads and driverside wraps in the outer boroughs but only to certain demographic base and not really systemwide. Manhattan will always be the $$$$ base meanwhile the outer boroughs get stuck with the garbage.  

PS: Hopefully, the (MTA) could possibly return back to the rear wraps for the NG’s. Those did well for a while. 

6 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Rare Catch: 2566 is on the S74 going towards the ferry as we speak if anyone wants to catch it.

... Now that’s a rare catch

I guess this driver is working a round trip on a local before going back to work an express route. It would be nice to see more of those express buses working on certain local lines (not all) on the island. Primarily the Hylan Boulevard, Richmond Avenue lines. 

11 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

... Now that’s a rare catch

I guess this driver is working a round trip on a local before going back to work an express route. It would be nice to see more of those express buses working on certain local lines (not all) on the island. Primarily the Hylan Boulevard, Richmond Avenue lines. 

It looks like the B/O ended at the ETC since it's off BusTime now. Seems like that B/O did that part and everyone is now transfering to 8174, which is doing the part north of the ETC.

Edited by Lil 57

12 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

New Oatly Campaign so far:

All of Manhattan Division have front and rear.

Flatbush: Front and Rear (plus some holdovers from previous)

JG & UP Front only (plus some holdovers from previous).

You sure about that? Haven't seen a single Manhattan bus with a new Oatly front ad, and the Flatbush ones just look like leftovers from the earlier campaign. SI transfers are all getting plastered with Museum of Sex ads (good way to tell what's current). ENY and MQ always have the newest campaigns, and they're both Museum of Sex still. Seems to me like the only new campaign is at the rear of buses, nothing new at the front and just a bunch of holdovers on the old campaign.

@ others, as for why I'm keeping track? Nice to see ads that have a sense of humor, treat the viewer with a little bit of a wink-wink-nod-nod, and aren't uniform across the city. The Museum of Sex ones are straight tacky with that big flag and all, and usually ads are just boring (how many years of VIM did we get stuck with?).

@MHV9218  I agree with your statement especially the last point. 

As for the Oatly ad. You may be right with the Flatbush holdovers from the previous. However, a few buses have the new rear campaign. 

Ad distribution in general. ENY/MQ/GA* usually are the first ones. than UP/YU first for express than everyone else follows suit. I could be wrong. 

6 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

How ironic that 7090 gets into an accident on it's fifth anniversary in service....it was on this date back in 2014 where it entered service.

What a HAPPY anniversary for 7090! 😒😒😒

And wow, I can’t believe it’s been FIVE YEARS already! Those buses don’t age....

3 hours ago, Snorunts said:

I read something saying how B38/B38 LTD will start using articulated buses on September 2. I wonder if that is a true statement.

Source?  Any posters up on bus stops and or buses to indicate that? 

My guess is that GA NG’s are going to both ENY & FP. However, I wonder if ENY is next to scrap their OG’s. So far only 1 has scrapped. 

16 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

How ironic that 7090 gets into an accident on it's fifth anniversary in service....it was on this date back in 2014 where it entered service.

On the B14 of all routes! This was not long after BusTime expanded citywide.

Separately, discounting the Orion 7 CNGs (which were life-limited by their tanks---the last ones were scrapped right as their tanks expired)...I notice that the lifespan of the Orion buses the MTA has gotten isn't nearly as long as that of other rigids...especially with the 6365-6489 batch completely gone and the 6490-6689 batch on its way out after just 14-15 years---some likely before their next battery replacements are due. (This while the 1996 Nova batch went 22+ years for some units and the 1999 Novas went 20+ years for many.) The 1995-1996 batch of Orions were scrapped after just 13-14 years as well, and the last batch (the 6000-6349 batch) after 15-16 years. If there wasn't such a push to Buy New York, might the MTA have considered New Flyer instead? (I recall that one of those orders was actually placed as a sole-source procurement which was laughable.)

Edited by aemoreira81

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Source?  Any posters up on bus stops and or buses to indicate that? 

My guess is that GA NG’s are going to both ENY & FP. However, I wonder if ENY is next to scrap their OG’s. So far only 1 has scrapped. 

Type “Status of B38” on google and it should be one of the top links.

My guess is that Grand Avenue is giving their Next Generation buses to Fresh Pond while East New York might receive some New Flyer XD40 buses in the 7850-7905 batch yet to be delivered.

Edited by Snorunts

1 minute ago, Snorunts said:

Type “Status of B38” on google and it should be one of the top links.

My guess is that Grand Avenue is giving their Next Generation buses to Fresh Pond and then East New York might receive some New Flyer XD40 buses in the 7850-7905 batch yet to be delivered.

I don’t think the 7850-7905 range is for Brooklyn and I will leave at that for now. The last I read that batch may be Bronx bound to West Farms. Unless something has changed. 

Yes. Just saw the (MTA) service advisory for the B38 and it is effective as of 9/2.