BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/21/2019 at 9:17 PM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

😂 wow, roy rogers.. that's classic kp s***... even now during the summer, you'll still see at least 4 sbs buses on layover with no locals in sight, and any sbs pullouts from FB have to wedge themselves in there until someone departs, all while trying not to intentionally trap a helpless B9 in that God awful ass end of the terminal. look, they (DOT or whomever) had a chance to redesign that terminal properly, and they totally botched it capacity-wise. it's not out of the realm of possibility that shoving artics in there may present a daunting task to say the least, especially if the plan is to marginally maintain current headways (which i highly doubt) 

On 8/21/2019 at 9:00 PM, Cait Sith said:

I haven't been down to KP recently, but I have seen the problems that those layovers used to cause, especially in the late 90s when Roy Rogers was in KP.....I miss that place(Roy Rogers, not KP)😭😂.

The traffic flow was pretty bad too. Operators used to have to wait quite a while just to pull out of the stop.

On 8/21/2019 at 8:51 PM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

definitely is a fair point. even back in the days, DeKalb & KP had issues with layovers between LTD's & lcl's... so maybe people will finally stop asking about artics on the 46sbs. it's a terminal capacity issue, simple & plain. 

On 8/21/2019 at 8:50 PM, Brillant93 said:

weren't they going to extend that route further up broadway? 

During the PM rush hour especially on  the weekends, Sometimes its hard to make that left turn into the Kings Plaza terminal. When the traffic light changes for the buses to make that left turn, vehicles from the other side traffic makes it impossible for the bus to complete the turn unless we force our way through and start blowing the horn to make vehicles at least leave some space so the bus can complete the left turn into the terminal. 

I’m probably going to be using the express bus somewhat less often for the next while, so I may be buying a regular unlimited monthly card and putting cash on it for the express bus. If I do that, and then take the subway to an express bus, will the fare box deduct $6.75, or will it take a transfer from the subway and only deduct $4.00? 

11 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Isn’t the Q12 interlined with other routes? Won’t artics find their way onto other routes? That means they gotta edit all the runs?

They would probably redo the runs so that the q12 is no longer interlined? Or the driver can just drive back to CS from flushing and swap out the tic for a rigid. It’s not that long of a deadhead

19 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I’m probably going to be using the express bus somewhat less often for the next while, so I may be buying a regular unlimited monthly card and putting cash on it for the express bus. If I do that, and then take the subway to an express bus, will the fare box deduct $6.75, or will it take a transfer from the subway and only deduct $4.00? 

It will deduct $4.00 if you used the subway (or bus) beforehand within two hours from catching the express bus.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

15 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

My advice heading inbound (when you take the express bus to the subway) is to hop on a local bus for a couple of stops. If you do that you will only get charged $4 for the express. If you board the express directly you will get charged $6.75

20 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

On the rare occasions that I use such a set up, coming home, I just stop at subway, go down, swipe, and then get on the express bus, this way I don't pay the full $6.75. It has been some months since I have bought a regular unlimited, but when I buy a Metro-North pass, I have done that since I wasn't taking the express bus that much, but still needed the shuttle bus.

38 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

On the rare occasions that I use such a set up, coming home, I just stop at subway, go down, swipe, and then get on the express bus, this way I don't pay the full $6.75. It has been some months since I have bought a regular unlimited, but when I buy a Metro-North pass, I have done that since I wasn't taking the express bus that much, but still needed the shuttle bus.

Cheapskate. (I'm kidding.)

That's actually good to know. Still, I'd prefer a 30-day that provides access to all of NYCT (and the other buses in the area)...

50 minutes ago, Lex said:

Cheapskate. (I'm kidding.)

That's actually good to know. Still, I'd prefer a 30-day that provides access to all of NYCT (and the other buses in the area)...

I only do that once a year if that when I'm not traveling much, so I would not opt for a monthly pass when I primarily use the express bus. It doesn't make any sense. As I said before, I only get that when I'm taking Metro-North and need to add on a few trips for the express bus. Basically I either now do a weekly express bus pass at $62.00 or a pay-per-ride. Last week I bought two weekly express bus passes for $124.00, and put $40.50 on another Metrocard, which covers me for three days for the express bus. There will be days that I won't travel for holidays or vacation, so I'd rather not give the (MTA) that money. I've already been overcharged enough where I didn't bother to claim a refund.

P.S. A 30 day doesn't cover express buses.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Brilliant! I’ll only need this set up for a short while, but I’m going to take your advice here

Random Thought: Out here in Boston this weekend and noticed that the Silver Line is strictly artic?. (I don’t frequent Boston a lot) Just an inquiring question.

Also, I’ve noticed that Mass Bay “T” XD40’s have wraps on the driverside. I’m guessing they also use Outfront Media for their ads. 

53 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Brilliant! I’ll only need this set up for a short while, but I’m going to take your advice here

The Bryant Park station is my best friend. Give myself maybe an extra five minutes to go down and swipe and boom, $2.75 saved. In the morning, I would just jump on a local bus for a stop or two and get off. lol Not too long ago, the (MTA) wouldn't even accept a regular unlimited Metrocard at all. Now they programmed it to give you that $2.75 credit.

On 8/23/2019 at 8:40 PM, Orion6025 said:

They would probably redo the runs so that the q12 is no longer interlined? Or the driver can just drive back to CS from flushing and swap out the tic for a rigid. It’s not that long of a deadhead

firstly, there are 2 types of interlines... terminal interline & relief aka swing interline. the q12 has straight runs, meaning runs that don't interline at all (designated run 0xx). those runs won't be affected. matter of fact, the miscellaneous runs (interlined runs) out of casey stengel (designated as 7xx or 8xx) won't be affected either. what will happen is that the q12 will be pull in/pull out or relief (swing) interline with the other casey stengel flushing routes (q13/15/16/20a/b/26/28/48) the q12 won't terminal interline (meaning come down the road as a q12 and leave out as say a q15) once artics come into play. by the way, terminal interlines are what you may see at 165 terminal with the JFK routes. 

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The Bryant Park station is my best friend. Give myself maybe an extra five minutes to go down and swipe and boom, $2.75 saved. In the morning, I would just jump on a local bus for a stop or two and get off. lol Not too long ago, the (MTA) wouldn't even accept a regular unlimited Metrocard at all. Now they programmed it to give you that $2.75 credit.

That's actually how I use the express bus when I'm coming home from school lol...

The weekly is a bit pricey for me so I get the regular 30 day unlimited and when I do splurge for the express bus, I hop the (6) down from Hunter to get the transfer to the X37 at 23rd and Park or when I was coming from Queens before I'd take the (E) to WTC and then transfer to the X27 at Broadway and Barclay.

4 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

That's actually how I use the express bus when I'm coming home from school lol...

The weekly is a bit pricey for me so I get the regular 30 day unlimited and when I do splurge for the express bus, I hop the (6) down from Hunter to get the transfer to the X37 at 23rd and Park or when I was coming from Queens before I'd take the (E) to WTC and then transfer to the X27 at Broadway and Barclay.

There's nothing wrong with it. Like I said, I have given the (MTA) enough of my money where their machines were busted, and I was overcharged, either for an extra express bus fare or another local bus fare for the SBS. Never bothered to get a refund for those. Then there are all of the express bus passes that I had to send in. They are prorated when they send you another card or refund you, so I've lost money on those too.  I used to get the express bus pass without blinking to be honest back when it was $41 dollars a week. It was $164 monthly. That has increased to almost $100 now at $248 monthly, assuming four weeks of course. Five weeks we have a few times a year so it's over $300 at $310. The rate of the (MTA) fare and other things have shot up (e.g. college tuition) is just crazy. Hell for my one semester at a private school abroad it was $20,000 which is cheap by today's standards. Look at those things or the cost of healthcare, and yes, most people's salaries haven't shot up in the same way. I pretty much always get a pass now because at $13.50 a day with no bonus, it really doesn't make sense to get a pay-per-ride unless you a riding just a few days.

For me I think it's more about how NYC has changed in terms of the prices for everything. Everybody wants a tip now, esp. in Manhattan. Good coffee is $5.00 or more minimum with a tip. Add in a snack and it's basically $10 for two items, so saving a few bucks here and there on occasion is nice. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There's nothing wrong with it. Like I said, I have given the (MTA) enough of my money where their machines were busted, and I was overcharged, either for an extra express bus fare or another local bus fare for the SBS. Never bothered to get a refund for those. Then there are all of the express bus passes that I had to send in. They are prorated when they send you another card or refund you, so I've lost money on those too.  I used to get the express bus pass without blinking to be honest back when it was $41 dollars a week. It was $164 monthly. That has increased to almost $100 now at $248 monthly, assuming four weeks of course. Five weeks we have a few times a year so it's over $300 at $310. The rate of the (MTA) fare and other things have shot up (e.g. college tuition) is just crazy. Hell for my one semester at a private school abroad it was $20,000 which is cheap by today's standards. Look at those things or the cost of healthcare, and yes, most people's salaries haven't shot up in the same way. I pretty much always get a pass now because at $13.50 a day with no bonus, it really doesn't make sense to get a pay-per-ride unless you a riding just a few days.

For me I think it's more about how NYC has changed in terms of the prices for everything. Everybody wants a tip now, esp. in Manhattan. Good coffee is $5.00 or more minimum with a tip. Add in a snack and it's basically $10 for two items, so saving a few bucks here and there on occasion is nice. lol

I'm sure when OMNY is  fully rolled out, this trick will stop working. Until then, I'm going to use it whenever possible. If the MTA cared enough, they would stop this trick now. 

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I'm sure when OMNY is  fully rolled out, this trick will stop working. Until then, I'm going to use it whenever possible. If the MTA cared enough, they would stop this trick now. 

It's not a trick. They didn't accept regular unlimited cards at all before on the express bus. Only express bus unlimited cards, so they know about it. They should give you credit towards the $6.75 as they do.

2 hours ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Can you take the BxM18 from Downtown to Midtown, then walk to the subway and take the subway (or vice versa)?

You are supposed to get off at the one of the transfer points listed or the driver may give you a hard time.  The transfer points are Madison and 29th,  Madison and 44th and Madison and 56th and it is usually strictly enforced.

46 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You are supposed to get off at the one of the transfer points listed or the driver may give you a hard time.  The transfer points are Madison and 29th,  Madison and 44th and Madison and 56th and it is usually strictly enforced.

So, you can get off at say, Madison/56, and walk to the (N)(R)(W) at 5/59?

18 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

So, you can get off at say, Madison/56, and walk to the (N)(R)(W) at 5/59?

You can get off and do whatever you want, but the idea is for you to transfer from the BxM18 to another express bus (either a BxM or a QM). If you look at the BxM18 timetable, it notes transferring to other express buses, so if you are asked by the driver, that's what you should say to avoid any problems.  I've never seen anyone kicked off before, provided they get off at the listed transfer points, but sometimes assumptions are made that passengers want the wrong bus (it happens a lot with local bus riders accidentally getting on the express buses), so that's my point. If you're asked by chance, just pretend like you're transferring to another express bus.

69481375_10217356913367266_6340126642412

On 8/3/2019 at 10:07 PM, Orion6025 said:

Jesus christ this dude’s entire channel is a hot mess. I can’t tell if he’s trying to be a busfan piney news like guy or if he’s trying to be some strange hobby news outlet. Whatever the hell it is, YEESH.

He definitely whines about the smallest things that make you face palm same thing with pinepowerli.Glad he ran off this site he can’t even take criticism and cries if anybody dislikes his video even if it 7 dislikes.sorry to get off topic