BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

Glad to see that's the reason it was canned, really and truly.  Never liked pre-recorded announcements on transit vehicles, but the Rosie Perez and Akwafina announcements were torture.

One afternoon I went to Brooklyn to run some errands in my old neighborhood, and we got stuck on the Prospect for a bit. I kid you not. Those automated Rosie announcements played about 20 times one way. I almost lost it... Wayy too loud and the pause between the English and Spanish was too long.That's when I said this has to be fixed. Myself and another advocate out on Staten Island were getting a lot of complaints from passengers, and I know the drivers were sick of it too. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Glad to see that's the reason it was canned, really and truly.  Never liked pre-recorded announcements on transit vehicles, but the Rosie Perez and Akwafina announcements were torture.

The Akwafina announcements were just put to the 7 Line for one week only, so it wasn't a huge deal unlike the Rosie Perez reminders that were heard constantly system-wide for a few months.

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

One afternoon I went to Brooklyn to run some errands in my old neighborhood, and we got stuck on the Prospect for a bit. I kid you not. Those automated Rosie announcements played about 20 times one way. I almost lost it... Wayy too loud and the pause between the English and Spanish was too long.That's when I said this has to be fixed. Myself and another advocate out on Staten Island were getting a lot of complaints from passengers, and I know the drivers were sick of it too. lol

And here lies one of the many things wrong with the MTA. They like to bombard people with information instead of keeping it concise. 

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Pretty much... Same deal with Rosie Perez. Spoke to a contact about it who noted they had received a bunch if complaints. No more Rosie Perez announcements... lol

I was wondering why I haven't heard those announcements recently. However good riddens to those announcements. I didn't like them for the fact that we are already reminded on a daily to wear masks and the announcements did play way too often. 

6 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I was wondering why I haven't heard those announcements recently. However good riddens to those announcements. I didn't like them for the fact that we are already reminded on a daily to wear masks and the announcements did play way too often. 

I don't know about the local buses, but on the express buses, they were only on lines that has buses that could provide automated announcements.

6 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

If anyone is fanning late night in Brooklyn. 7677 SBS bus unit is working the B15 heading towards Woodhull.

Cool - too bad a growing number of those overnight B15's are getting more & more emptier though..... TSA must have orchestrated a round of layoffs or something, IDK....

32 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Cool - too bad a growing number of those overnight B15's are getting more & more emptier though..... TSA must have orchestrated a round of layoffs or something, IDK....

If the airlines go through with layoffs, I would expect the TSA to as well. The clock is ticking for stimulus to be provided...

43 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Accurate. Meanwhile the late night headways are like 20-30 minutes at night. TSA & airlines are laying off.  However, the warehouses at the airport are still employing and taking people. Plus with USPS, DHL, UPS and FedEx all at the airport.  They are also employing and recruiting for the holidays (I really don’t know about the holidays this year)

5 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Accurate. Meanwhile the late night headways are like 20-30 minutes at night. TSA & airlines are laying off.  However, the warehouses at the airport are still employing and taking people. Plus with USPS, DHL, UPS and FedEx all at the airport.  They are also employing and recruiting for the holidays (I really don’t know about the holidays this year)

Same as Amazon, with their "high volume" hiring practice.

On 10/17/2020 at 4:31 PM, Future ENY OP said:

4107 was involved in an accident on Atlantic & New York. An Audi trying to make a right plowed into the bus. Bus suffered damage to the back driver side pane. From the damage I saw it was the Audi being aggressive and trying to make the turn to New York Avenue. 

The damage must of been minor because that bus is already back in service.

4646 is on the Q11. This and the Q21 are normally 100% Old Gens (good lines to get 6500s too), guessing this will become more of a thing as more 3800s come in. 

Edit: 6540 is right behind it. Although in previous years I disliked the Arial font numbering on them they've become a part of their character. And 6600 passes as I type this lol

Edited by 4P3607

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Same as Amazon, with their "high volume" hiring practice.

I totally forgot that Amazon has a warehouse at the airport. Thanks for mentioning that.  

I know of the one in Maspeth and of course Staten Island. Brooklyn will get it’s Amazon warehouse sometime next year in the Sunset Park/Industry City area. 

47 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I believe it was Fresh Pond according to some previous bus rosters. 

Actually, it was Yukon that had them first. Fresh Pond didn’t get any NG’s until the BT&E buses came in 2011. (The 90 Orion 3G’s, NewFlyer XD, NovaLFS buses that were testing at Castleton, Queens Village, and Ulmer Park)

Edited by Mpn4179

I believe they are temporarily storing local buses at Floyd Benett Field as temporary covid storage. Right now, I believe it's just Brooklyn Division. ENY, FP and FB have buses there. Maybe UP too?

EDIT: Nvm this was old news. Disregard.

Edited by danielhg121

15 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

I believe they are temporarily storing local buses at Floyd Benett Field as temporary covid storage. Right now, I believe it's just Brooklyn Division. ENY, FP and FB have buses there. Maybe UP too?

The temporary storage was there back when Covid-19 hits its massive numbers between April up to June (or otherwise when the whole NYC was shut down). 

Edited by Calvin

4 hours ago, Deucey said:

Why did (MTA) opt to have you dip MetroCards on buses but swipe them for trains?

Which situation would you have, over what's currently done though?

Do you really want people dipping metrocards to access the subway (NY-ers are already impatient enough as it is & that threshold of impatience is far less tolerable when it comes to the subway, over the bus)? And as far as swiping on a bus, I think space is the issue; some moron'll find an inventive way to injure themselves while swiping around the bus cockpit area & the last thing this f***in agency needs is (paying out) more lawsuits....

4 hours ago, Snorunts said:

How else would you pay with coins or get a paper transfer?

I get his point; either mechanism (metrocard reader built into the bus farebox & metrocard reader built into a subway turnstile) still ultimately ends up reading the card..... He's not saying that buses shouldn't have fareboxes....

Edited by B35 via Church

38 minutes ago, Nova Fly Guy said:

Negative it was on the B14 at 11pm Monday night went to the Diner seen it cross linden.

Couldn’t be. That bus was in The Bronx on the Bx26. Again, the bus came in Tuesday afternoon and was registered to ENY and worked on Wednesday on the B65 early and B14 late. 

Also, the B14 doesn’t stop at Lindenwood Diner. That’s the B15. 

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Which situation would you have, over what's currently done though?

I would personally prefer the slots where the card goes through one end, unlocks the gate and spits it out the other if it's valid. It it's invalid, the machine spits it right back out. I feel like with this setup, they could even begin to accept paper bus transfers where they don't spit it out at the end but still unlock the gate. This setup is in use in China and Japan. 

New Yorkers are definitely gonna hate it tho. First day would be an absolute shitshow and with OMNY on the horizon, there's no need.